Gelbvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If i was starting a new operation and i wanted to start my herd with a Gelbvieh bull, what breed(s) of cows would be best to cross with this bull?

A lot depends on where you're located. Different locales seem to favour different breeds. If you get a chance, pop by your local auction market from time to time, and record what the high selling calves are. Talk to some of the established ranchers in the area, and it doesn't hurt to talk to the buyers and feedlot owners as well. Then you'll have a better idea as what kind of product the market it looking for. As long as you're putting the time and resources into producing beef, you may as well get the most bang for your buck.

Take care.

the operation is in northeast texas, in the paris area. we are leaning towards Brangus. does anyone have experience with this cross? we think we will get quality replacement females with good fertility and milking ability. any thoughts on this cross or any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. the property has lots of good grass and we want a cross that can handle the hot summers and won't have trouble in the winters either.

GelbveihX Brangus should make a good cross.
Should make good beefy calves and good milking daughters.
Personally I would go with a good Angus bull and have AngusPlus calves.
They are in hot demand and will probaly remain so. Also could qualify for CAB.
My second choice would be a good Polled Hereford bull on the Brangus females. The calves would have as good a demand as the AngusPlus calves, and they are a hot ticket in the area that you're in.
I would expect that the females from either of these two crosses would have a more uniform set of calves since they would be 13/16 British breeding and 3/16 Brahman. No continental.

Polled Hereford = super baldies they ring the bell at the sale barn. I would stay with a British bull if you want yield and grade. My 2 cents

We had great calves out of Angus,Shorthorn,Hereford cows with our last Gelbvieh. :cboy: :cboy: :cboy:

Ryan":2uanrg37 said:
the operation is in northeast texas, in the paris area. we are leaning towards Brangus. does anyone have experience with this cross? we think we will get quality replacement females with good fertility and milking ability. any thoughts on this cross or any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. the property has lots of good grass and we want a cross that can handle the hot summers and won't have trouble in the winters either.

Texan is probably the best to get advice from as he is in your neck of the woods. He's one of the big boys on the board. I am further South, herefords, angus,limos and brangus do well here.

la4angus":3tpb6qeq said:
GelbveihX Brangus should make a good cross.
Should make good beefy calves and good milking daughters.
Personally I would go with a good Angus bull and have AngusPlus calves.
They are in hot demand and will probaly remain so. Also could qualify for CAB.
My second choice would be a good Polled Hereford bull on the Brangus females. The calves would have as good a demand as the AngusPlus calves, and they are a hot ticket in the area that you're in.
I would expect that the females from either of these two crosses would have a more uniform set of calves since they would be 13/16 British breeding and 3/16 Brahman. No continental.

he said what if i started with a gelveih bull and you said you would put a angus bull on the gelveih. george bush would be ashamed of this remark or should i say advice but then

on the other hand the kerry liberals would be elated as they support the adam and steve equation not the adam and eve that GOD CREATED

for the record la i am not dogging you just seen the chance to have a little fun no disrespect intended!

Go Back and read the post again.
I told the gentleman and then offered my opinion on what I thought would be something else to think about; which happens quiet frequently on this board
by many other board participants.
At least I don't hide behind "Guest".

Ryan":1svl58n5 said:
If i was starting a new operation and i wanted to start my herd with a Gelbvieh bull, what breed(s) of cows would be best to cross with this bull?

If you want to start with a Gelbvieh bull you should have British cows.
Feeder buyers dock straight bred continentals but they like a mix.

Hillbilly

t don;t understand the starting with a bull then selecting the cows. The normal progression is starting with the cows and adding the bull.

dun