Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Jason W

Reaction score
What advantages, or disadvntages would ther be to having Gelbvieh crossed with Angus, especially on temperment, milking, calving ease, etc. Does anybody have any opinions about Gelbvieh in general?

twice as good as limi... and a lot of the same perks as a simmental... they would add some milk and size. Temperment shouldn't be bad either, just be selective.

Jason W":1lgknxct said:
What advantages, or disadvntages would ther be to having Gelbvieh crossed with Angus, especially on temperment, milking, calving ease, etc. Does anybody have any opinions about Gelbvieh in general?

The first calves from my Gelbvieh bull arrived November 2004-March 2005 they all have good muscling, are very gentle, and fast growing. I haven't had any calving problems so far the bull has a 1.2 BW epd. When I was bull shopping I was told not to buy a bull with a milk epd of more than 25.

Quote:
When I was bull shopping I was told not to buy a bull with a milk epd of more than 25.[/quote]

WHY? For what reason?

Could be because the breed average milk EPD is 17 for Gelbviehs, and they're heavy milkers anyway. More milk then that and they'ld probably be a pretty hard keeper.

dun

Sounds like they would make good cross bred cows 1/2 Angus 1/2 gelbvieh, How about crossing with Rock N D Ambush, low milk epd, but good carcass traits?

Gelbvieh cattle cross very well with Angus. In general they will improve disposition and milking ability, will add muscle, and decrease fat, thus improving carcass yield.

Dun is right on about watching the milk EPD in Gelbviehs...I had a Gelbvieh cow years ago that would have made a Jersey cow envious. We culled her after a few calves because her udder was just too big, hanging so low that it was difficult for the new born calf to find the teat. Though I was pleasantly surprised that she stayed in good condition even after nursing a big calf for 7 months.

Jason, it is interesting that you mentioned Rock'n D Ambush. ABS has a Balancer (AngusXGelbvieh hybrid) bull named Carolina Rock'N who is a Rock'N D Ambush son. Looks like Rock'n worked well with at least that one Gelbvieh cow.

wsrutherford":1tjaw3ef said:
Quote:
When I was bull shopping I was told not to buy a bull with a milk epd of more than 25.

WHY? For what reason?[/quote]Could be the man that told you that only had bulls with milk epd's of <25.

ollie said:
wsrutherford said:
Quote:
When I was bull shopping I was told not to buy a bull with a milk epd of more than 25.

WHY? For what reason?
Could be the man that told you that only had bulls with milk epd's of <25.[/quote]

There is such a thing as too much milk, though you wouldn't know it the way some breeders promote that their top bull is in the top 2% of thir breed for milk EPD...they make it sound like a benefit when in reality it is likely a detriment for most herds.

Cows with high milk EPDs tend to require more feed to maintain their body condition (aka "hard keepers). Heavy milking/Hard Keeping cows also tend to not breed back as quickly as cows that are more moderate in their milk production. Finally, cows with high milk EPDs often develop udders and teats that get too big and end up being culled from the herd earlier than their more moderate milking herdmates.

Some breeds like Gelbvieh and Simmental tend to be heavier milking breeds. Consequently, females from these breeds that have breed average milk EPDs likely will have plenty of milk. Avoid using Simmental and Gelbvieh genetics with huge milk EPDs.

I have crossed pure Gelbvieh with Brahman and South Devon,they cross well but the cows will milk themselves poor. They do need a constant supply of good feed. I don't think they are much good for our tough country. Most British or Euro breeds don't do that well on real tough country. Most of them originated in soft European environments.

Colin

Jason W":4u2ej7wv said:
Sounds like they would make good cross bred cows 1/2 Angus 1/2 gelbvieh, How about crossing with Rock N D Ambush, low milk epd, but good carcass traits?
Terrific cross - if you are breeding for terminal end product. Be very selective if you are planning to hold back replacement heifers.

UG":1bbaj70o said:
ollie":1bbaj70o said:
wsrutherford":1bbaj70o said:
Quote:

WHY? For what reason?
Could be the man that told you that only had bulls with milk epd's of <25.

There is such a thing as too much milk, though you wouldn't know it the way some breeders promote that their top bull is in the top 2% of thir breed for milk EPD...they make it sound like a benefit when in reality it is likely a detriment for most herds.

Cows with high milk EPDs tend to require more feed to maintain their body condition (aka "hard keepers). Heavy milking/Hard Keeping cows also tend to not breed back as quickly as cows that are more moderate in their milk production. Finally, cows with high milk EPDs often develop udders and teats that get too big and end up being culled from the herd earlier than their more moderate milking herdmates.

Some breeds like Gelbvieh and Simmental tend to be heavier milking breeds. Consequently, females from these breeds that have breed average milk EPDs likely will have plenty of milk. Avoid using Simmental and Gelbvieh genetics with huge milk EPDs.[/quote] These comments are about as correct as anyone could possibly wish. Very to the point and absolutely right! Couldn't have said it better myself. Wish I had said it first.

I have 40 GelbviehX Angus cross females and 1 Salers show heifer who is a grand champion female. I have pics of her if anyone would like to see her. At the present time I am using a salers bull on the Gelbvieh X Angus cross balancers. We are seeing weaning weights of 650-750 pounds off bermuda grass and cotton seed and soybean meal. They are really coming on. They are getting their growth from the Salers bull. Our average birth weights are about 65 pounds. The Gelbvieh by angus cross females are very docile as is the salers female and bull we have. All the females in our program have an abundant supply of milk and good beef conformation. The salers female I have weighed in at 1100 at 1 year of age. At the present time she is at 1450 she will be 2 in january and calve in january as well. The gelbvieh also seem to make the females mature quicker and breed back quicker as well. All in all I am very satisified and in fact swear by the balancers and salers. This three way cross seems to work very well. They work well in really hot weather which it gets hoooooooooot here in summer and work well in cold weather. It gets really coooooooooold here in winter. I can tell you this. This summer has been very hard to control flies. I went out 2 weeks ago and the cows had flies all over them. I want you to know that there was not a runny eye in the whole lot. That says alot about the toughness of these cattle. Again I swear by them and would not use anything else. I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.

quote]I have 40 GelbviehX Angus cross females and 1 Salers show heifer who is a grand champion female. I have pics of her if anyone would like to see her. At the present time I am using a salers bull on the Gelbvieh X Angus cross balancers. We are seeing weaning weights of 650-750 pounds off bermuda grass and cotton seed and soybean meal. They are really coming on. They are getting their growth from the Salers bull. Our average birth weights are about 65 pounds. The Gelbvieh by angus cross females are very docile as is the salers female and bull we have. All the females in our program have an abundant supply of milk and good beef conformation. The salers female I have weighed in at 1100 at 1 year of age. At the present time she is at 1450 she will be 2 in january and calve in january as well. The gelbvieh also seem to make the females mature quicker and breed back quicker as well. All in all I am very satisified and in fact swear by the balancers and salers. This three way cross seems to work very well. They work well in really hot weather which it gets hoooooooooot here in summer and work well in cold weather. It gets really coooooooooold here in winter. I can tell you this. This summer has been very hard to control flies. I went out 2 weeks ago and the cows had flies all over them. I want you to know that there was not a runny eye in the whole lot. That says alot about the toughness of these cattle. Again I swear by them and would not use anything else. I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.[[/quote]

How do you get eggs and sperm from a bull?
I only ask because I've got a great Lim bull and just can't find a cow good enougth to breed him to. Now if I could flush him for some eggs they would be some great cattle

Well lets see. You cant get eggs from a bull but you can flush a cow and transplant her eggs into another cow (donor) then you take the semen from the bull called a straw and you ai it to the donor cow. Thats what I meant.

I guess people got lots of questions about Gelbvieh. Either that or that is going to be the next big breed. So many post and topics about Gelbvieh.

Latest posts