Gelbvieh roll call

Help Support CattleToday:

we have 2 reg. gelbvieh bulls (both are flying h extra 150d grandsons) and 10 reg. cow/calf pairs. we have 13 reg. brangus cows with southern balancer calves. we have a few mixed cows with gelbvieh in them and they have always been some of our best cows. so we started using them on our Hereford cross cows. I love the calves out of our bulls, we have 1 charolais bull we use on baldie cows.

My cow herd is predominantly balancers now, but i do have just a few pb gelbvieh cows yet. Been raising gelbvieh since i started in the cattle busines when is was 12, 20 years ago.

Generally a docul breed and the cows are excellent mothers. Balancers work well in my area and will hang a carcass that the end customer likes.

We have raised Gelbvieh cattle since 1972. Run 90 purebred cows. One of the largest purebred only herds in the country which is sad given that 90 is not a huge number. Bought a new herd bull today and for the first time in a while, I am finding purebred bulls I really like. Hoping the purebreds will come back stronger in numbers.

By now everyone knows I raise Gelbvieh's. I try to keep my herd between 15 and 20 solid momma cows and have animals in Colorado and Missouri. My partner in Missouri and I own what we think is going to turn out to be a real solid Bennett Kingpin son. His first calves will hit the ground real soon. We will try to get him collected over the next few weeks as much as an insurance policy as anything with him spending time in two different time zones anything can happen.

My goal is to raise a few real solid Balancer bulls and heifers to sell every year and, and a couple of top quality purebred replacement heifers. I try to upgrade my herd constantly some raised and some bought. I would like to close my herd someday but it looks like i am at least 5 years down the road on that.

A neighbor has been pasturing 20-24 angus x gelbvieh cows near me for 3-4 yrs he breeds them to an angus bull.
Nice looking herd of cows and they have been raising a nice looking uniform group of black calves each year.
He said a couple of the cows have a bit of an attitude, but I haven't seen it.

We bought our first seven purebred unregistered Gelbvieh cows this winter, have three purebred calves on the ground from them so far and very impressed.
Lots of milk, excellent concerned mothers but with zero aggression towards humans, and vigorous calves.
We will see how the rest of the group turn out, but so far it looks like Gelbvieh are going to become a permanent part of the program for us.

Latest posts