Gelbvieh popularity

Help Support CattleToday:

hoss there should be some bulls either in ky or tn. there breed magazine has several breeders listed. there is a breeder in northern indiana that sells a lot of bulls, he has an ad in the farm world paper with bulls for sale right now. i looked at gelbveih bulls this spring but bought a red poll, nothing against gelbveih's i just thought the red poll was to good to pass up, and he was local only 8 miles away. from the closest gelbveih was about 150 miles away.

FlyingLSimmentals":3cd1usca said:
Thanks for the Welcome Simmi Valley. I've always been impressed with Macho As U resembles my old Powerstroke son so much, that I had to sale this last year. Wished I was equipped to do more AI, I would definite use him. This is a Gelbvieh board so I'll mention them, they are great, what we used before we went Simmental and my 2nd favorite breed. Our 2nd best bull we ever owned was a gelbvieh, a Gizmo son. At the moment I'd probably prefer a red gelbvieh over a red simmental, and a black simmental over a black gelbvieh. As of now Running a Heterzygous Black Dream On son and the Homozygous Black Invasion son.
Mike,
Flying L Simmentals
Princeton, KY
Nice to see another Kentuckian on here, I am near Morgantown.

double v":3c2kzx2d said:
Hoss i would gaurantee the bull sight unseen, they are the real deal and if not i would let him pick any bull calf out of the herd if he wasn't satisfied. Thats how confident in these guys... seedstock will back any purchase its as close to no risk as it comes...
Double v, do you have info on these bulls like bloodlines,epd's and pricing or do I have to get that from seedstock plus? Are they homo black and homo polled?
Thanks

I think sales for all breeds have gone well due to the markets. I think sales for Purebred Gelbvieh have gone well because the Gelbvieh breeders have created a shortage with the move towards Balancers. Ten years ago, there were 32,000 purebred Gelbvieh registered. Last year, there were 17,000 purebred and 17,000 Balancers registered. Finding purebred seedstock is VERY hard right now and it is a shame. We started with 18 yearlings for sale and have only 1 left. Our demand has been great and I have sold bulls up to 400 miles away because they cannot find purebreds any closer than that.

We sold our Gelbvieh cow because of her being too calf proud and for too long. But I will be keeping her progeny and the ones from the other cow who I was told was a Gelbvieh but she doesn't look like one.

Calve after 10 - 12 months every year. Polled. Quiet. Adds size to the Bazadais. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Gelbvieh cow if the opportunity arose.

Suzie Q":jewa2mmn said:
We sold our Gelbvieh cow because of her being too calf proud and for too long. But I will be keeping her progeny and the ones from the other cow who I was told was a Gelbvieh but she doesn't look like one.

Calve after 10 - 12 months every year. Polled. Quiet. Adds size to the Bazadais. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Gelbvieh cow if the opportunity arose.

Suzie can you explain that phrase please?

Calf proud probably taken from the horse world of foal proud by me.

Too aggressive, wants to kill you for being within a kilometre of the calf. If the calf is in the race you can't get near the crush to do any work. Calf has been weaned for months and in the yard and she came around 2 round bales to have a go at Papa and I and we were no where near the yard or the calf.

Without a calf. Quiet as you can get.

Suzie Q":rtoq9f5c said:
Calf proud probably taken from the horse world of foal proud by me.

Too aggressive, wants to kill you for being within a kilometre of the calf. If the calf is in the race you can't get near the crush to do any work. Calf has been weaned for months and in the yard and she came around 2 round bales to have a go at Papa and I and we were no where near the yard or the calf.

Without a calf. Quiet as you can get.

Sounds like a shorthorn cow my buddy had. She flattened him two years ago for bending over to cut the strings on a bale of hay that was laying 10 feet from her 5 month old calf.

That is strange suzie. Most of my Gelbvieh cows are protective for 3 to 5 days and then they won't hardly lift their heads from grazing unless I physically grab the calf. I like them to be fairly protective. Gelbvieh have great maternal qualities.

She is the only one I have seen act like that in 7 years with all types of breeds. Other than a black cow, which I am not sure what breed, but she went too protective when another cow was calving so I had to get rid of her as I would not have been able to help another cow if she needed help during calving.

I have watched the Gelbvieh progeny like a hawk and they don't seem to have inherited that trait from her. They are as quiet as any others that have been born here and I will not be selling them. I will probably sell off horned ones first.

Suzie Q":24vnf0a7 said:
She is the only one I have seen act like that in 7 years with all types of breeds. Other than a black cow, which I am not sure what breed, but she went too protective when another cow was calving so I had to get rid of her as I would not have been able to help another cow if she needed help during calving.

I have watched the Gelbvieh progeny like a hawk and they don't seem to have inherited that trait from her. They are as quiet as any others that have been born here and I will not be selling them. I will probably sell off horned ones first.

What I like is when we are working my Gelbvieh's with my friends Angus and the old GV cows just walk up and stick their head thru the chute and stand there . About 2/3's of her Angus are caught trying to leap thru before we can close the head catch.

3waycross":h3bn45dy said:
What I like is when we are working my Gelbvieh's with my friends Angus and the old GV cows just walk up and stick their head thru the chute and stand there . About 2/3's of her Angus are caught trying to leap thru before we can close the head catch.

That's one of the big BA pluses. They work well in a self catch head gate!

3waycross":3ncj6uhx said:
Suzie Q":3ncj6uhx said:

I honestly didn't know there was any other way :lol:. Tagging calves during calving season requires a quick draw and sometimes body armor.

The cows that have been born here, don't seem to care about me being near their calves. They don't even stop chewing their cuds and don't bother to get up if they are down. We don't tag out in the paddock. We bring them into the yards and put them through the crush and do them then when they are a bit older.

We just have a headgate (manual) and we pretty much never use it except if a cow has too swollen an udder and the calf won't nurse... I do my vaccination in the field when I feed, just walk up beside them and poke them, by the time they jump, I'm done... a few have had RP and I can give them boluses or oxcytocin without the squeeze.... most of them even have Saler blood in them

We came upon GV by accident when our bull broke his pecker and the sale yard manager knew of this bull.. I'm really happy with him, he used to be really skittish, but he's calmed down after 3 years... After seeing his calves anything else looks like it has no butt or sirloins.. I really like the flat and muscled backs as well... they seem to work well with our shorthorn cows... I do like the hip and pelvis width of the SH, and will probably get another SH at some point, but a calm Saler/Limo may be in the works as well

Nesikep":19v2sxva said:
We just have a headgate (manual) and we pretty much never use it except if a cow has too swollen an udder and the calf won't nurse... I do my vaccination in the field when I feed, just walk up beside them and poke them, by the time they jump, I'm done... a few have had RP and I can give them boluses or oxcytocin without the squeeze.... most of them even have Saler blood in them

We came upon GV by accident when our bull broke his pecker and the sale yard manager knew of this bull.. I'm really happy with him, he used to be really skittish, but he's calmed down after 3 years... After seeing his calves anything else looks like it has no butt or sirloins.. I really like the flat and muscled backs as well... they seem to work well with our shorthorn cows... I do like the hip and pelvis width of the SH, and will probably get another SH at some point, but a calm Saler/Limo may be in the works as well

I will try to post some pictures soon of my friends SH/GV/RA crosses. They are outstanding calves. He just purchased a Red balancer bull to go back on them with.

Suzie Q":39hrqm7p said:
The cows that have been born here, don't seem to care about me being near their calves. They don't even stop chewing their cuds and don't bother to get up if they are down. We don't tag out in the paddock. We bring them into the yards and put them through the crush and do them then when they are a bit older.

It really takes a lot of time for some purchased cows to settle in. I purchased and dehorned some Herfs, and it took 18 months before some got really tame.
My calmest cattle are the two Limi bulls I purchased. As of this week they are both lame so GV in back on the shopping list.