Gelbvieh popularity

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Is it just me or is Gelbvieh becoming extremely popular? I have been trying to find a bull for a friend and all of the breeders within decent driving distance have sold out and have been for a while. Almost all have told me that they sold out quicker than normal and for higher prices. Demand has been crazy. I talked to the state breed association and he has been hammered with calls from folks looking for purebred bulls. He has been trying to find bulls but is striking out too. It sounds like I need to move up my timeline to get into the seedstock business.

I think part of it is that the slaughter prices have been so high for bullls that some people decide to replace the big bulls earlier than normal. Heck with many of them bring $1.00 who blames them.

i think hoss may be right about demand but i know a lot of breeders that have sold quiet a few bull and not gelbveih but also angus simmi and herfy bulls as well. in this part of indiana for a while it was a little hard to sell seedstock with all the people leaving cattle. with all the profits being in corn and beans. but i think cattle may be holding there own now even with the higher grain prices

Maybe people are finally coming to their senses and getting the right breed of bulls.

Dream on Dun. I don't know a decent breeder of any breed that hasn't been selling bulls like crazy. Like KT said with slaughter bulls at a dollar a pound it makes it easy to bring in new bulls.

While visiting with a sale manager that represents over 3000 bulls a year, he commented that this spring many commercial cattlemen told him that they sold their old bulls this past fall and winter. He feels that their need to replace the old boys is a big reason for the significantly higher bull sale averages and overall demand. However, it seems that many producers who have been running strictly Angus bulls for the past several years and have a high % Angus cow herd recognized the need for some heterosis and so are going back to other breeds. It seems like the demand for the black Continental bulls (Simmental, Gelbvieh, etc.) are especially hot.

Stocker, around here 1,500 used to get you a decent quality bull. This year it takes about 2,200 to get the same one.

Hoss contact seedstock plus and they will deliver you a PB bull i have 2 up there now that will sell in the fall but are more then ready to go now and i know he has some more to choose from. Give him a call it can't hurt.

There is a 2 year old Black Gelbvieh Bull on Western Kentucky Craigslist in Hardin County Illinois. Phone # is 616-481-2822. Has a $2800.00 price on him. Bulls are extremely high this year its unreal. The last couple of years I could buy them at seedstock sales and resale them and make a profit easily not this year. I bought a halterbroke Simmental Star Power son last year and only had to pay $1300.00 for him should have kept him but I resold him after I got the cows and heifers bred that I wanted to breed to him. This year I needed another bull after one of my old bull's feet got soft and I Wished I still had him but that's just the way it goes. I ended up buying a Homozygous Black Simmental at the Bulls of The Bluegrass Sale in Mt. Sterling for $2500.00. He's an Invasion son that I think will be worth it. It was just nice when you could get them alot cheaper. Just wish I had some that was ready to sale while the prices are high but my good calves have all been heifers this last year.

Thanks for the Welcome Simmi Valley. I've always been impressed with Macho As U resembles my old Powerstroke son so much, that I had to sale this last year. Wished I was equipped to do more AI, I would definite use him. This is a Gelbvieh board so I'll mention them, they are great, what we used before we went Simmental and my 2nd favorite breed. Our 2nd best bull we ever owned was a gelbvieh, a Gizmo son. At the moment I'd probably prefer a red gelbvieh over a red simmental, and a black simmental over a black gelbvieh. As of now Running a Heterzygous Black Dream On son and the Homozygous Black Invasion son.
Mike,
Flying L Simmentals
Princeton, KY

double v":3uhjbo2e said:
Hoss contact seedstock plus and they will deliver you a PB bull i have 2 up there now that will sell in the fall but are more then ready to go now and i know he has some more to choose from. Give him a call it can't hurt.
Seedstock plus won't have a sale near me until late winter. I know they will sell and deliver sight unseen with a guarantee. I am not sure that my buddy will buy unseen but I know a guy who bought from them this way and was very happy. I'll run it by him. Will your bulls be in the October sale out there in MO?

dun":3h3g563z said:
Maybe people are finally coming to their senses and getting the right breed of bulls.
Dun, I think the AGA has done a really good job of marketing in recent years. The breeders are saying that they are getting a lot of first time Gelbvieh buyers who have just become aware of the breed.

I guess the best way to hear from the Sim crowd is to start a Gelbvieh thread. ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

3waycross":2kpbcx81 said:
I guess the best way to hear from the Sim crowd is to start a Gelbvieh thread. ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
And why would you want to do that, hear form them I mean?

Hoss i would gaurantee the bull sight unseen, they are the real deal and if not i would let him pick any bull calf out of the herd if he wasn't satisfied. Thats how confident in these guys... seedstock will back any purchase its as close to no risk as it comes...

Latest posts