Gelbvieh cows on poor grass

Help Support CattleToday:

a-v-d-2004

Reaction score
Question-what to breed my cows to.
History and context:
I have PB gelbvieh cows, I live in northeast oklahoma. I have native grasses and forbs. My pasture is all "reclamied" ground, meaning it is really poor because all that has been done with it is logging. There actually is a lot of different varities, but predominantly sagegrass. We have done a lot of burning for the last couple years. I raised these cows here without anything but hay when the grass was gone (some cubes when they were yearlings). They have weaned good calves for me and maintained good condition. The first two calving seasons I have bred to an angus bull, this last one AI to Final answer. I really am trying to make my own cows that can stay on my place all year and not need any input in a normal year. I have been planting some winter feeds to do this. Where should I take my breeding from here. I like the angus because there are alot of EPD's for easy fleshing, and quite a variety of bulls to choose from. But what about other avenues like fullblood GV, or herefords?

Thanks

a-v-d-2004":2fjslehd said:
History and context:
I have PB gelbvieh cows, I live in northeast oklahoma. I have native grasses and forbs. My pasture is all "reclamied" ground, meaning it is really poor because all that has been done with it is logging. There actually is a lot of different varities, but predominantly sagegrass. We have done a lot of burning for the last couple years. I raised these cows here without anything but hay when the grass was gone (some cubes when they were yearlings). They have weaned good calves for me and maintained good condition. The first two calving seasons I have bred to an angus bull, this last one AI to Final answer. I really am trying to make my own cows that can stay on my place all year and not need any input in a normal year. I have been planting some winter feeds to do this. Where should I take my breeding from here. I like the angus because there are alot of EPD's for easy fleshing, and quite a variety of bulls to choose from. But what about other avenues like fullblood GV, or herefords?

Thanks

Purebred GV would work great but if you want a cross the hers cross real well. I would avoid Fullblood.

a-v-d-2004":c5ptzirc said:
History and context:

Thanks

I would suggest Red Poll. We live in Bartlesville and I think if you came by and saw our cattle you would see why. The are very easy fleshing

Jovid":iy9nxmei said:
a-v-d-2004":iy9nxmei said:
History and context:

Thanks

I would suggest Red Poll. We live in Bartlesville and I think if you came by and saw our cattle you would see why. The are very easy fleshing

I wouldn't argue with that!

Latest posts