Gelbvieh Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":3ncqf011 said:
Here is a pic of my yearling GV clean up bull. He is in with heifers and 1st calvers(2 year olds) . His is 113 for CE, but we will see in Feb when his calves hit the ground .Btw he has never seen grain either, just hay in winter and pasture grass in the summer. Is he perfect , no ,but I do expect to have a heck of a set of calves out of him next year, especially with this group of females he is paired up with.

296724_4132225340669_285671236_n.jpg

558740_4132227700728_375692418_n.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics but he is really hard to take a pic of as he likes to stay in between the ladies .
good looking bull...

ALACOWMAN":3mf0x90m said:
Massey135[u:3mf0x90m said:
":3mf0x90m]Wait till I get a pic of mine Sunday. [/u]And he's smooth shouldered to boot!
on pins and needles already , is he angular like you like em
No, that's prolly why I'm not a huge fan of the breed. I've said this before, his heifers are too coarse made; not feminine enough for my liking. He's real similar to HDs bull. Her's prolly longer bodied, mine a much better hip. Same straight rear wheels.

3waycross said:
Massey135 said:
Markes runs a grass fed operation. The bull has great numbers for a heifer bull. He served his purpose nicely.

That's a nice way to describe someone who sells underfed bulls! and if you want to argue with me look at his ww and yw. That's just plum disgraceful. He could gain that much(140lbs) on a water diet.

He had crap EPD's for growth and Markes made sure he didn 't escede them!

Hmmm? Crap EPDs for growth? This bull is a 70 for YW, which is only 5 lb. less than breed average. In my opinion, only giving up 5 pounds for a calving ease bull is pretty darn good.

i am curious though,, how can a Gelbvieh be black ??? when their name means yellow.. not that i care but i bet the germans spit when we say black gelbvieh :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":27brj11y said:
i am curious though,, how can a Gelbvieh be black ??? when their name means yellow.. not that i care but i bet the germans spit when we say black gelbvieh :cowboy:

Same way limms, simms, maines, chis, beefmasters, hereford, and Chars are.. they're bred up to w/e % the assoc deems ad 'purebred.'

I'm sure they feel the same as I do when someone starts going on about crossbred bulls..

You're gonna be blown away when you see a new pic of this bull :cboy:

here are the 2 bulls i run with the cows, please tell me whats wrong with these EPD's AMGV1186628 , 1204728. They are well rounded and yes you can use them on heifers also.

ALACOWMAN":24ccw8ba said:

Yep just like they really give a flying shyt about anything else we do or say!

UG":1zbkgfmr said:
3waycross":1zbkgfmr said:
Massey135":1zbkgfmr said:
Markes runs a grass fed operation. The bull has great numbers for a heifer bull. He served his purpose nicely.

That's a nice way to describe someone who sells underfed bulls! and if you want to argue with me look at his ww and yw. That's just plum disgraceful. He could gain that much(140lbs) on a water diet.

He had crap EPD's for growth and Markes made sure he didn 't escede them!

Hmmm? Crap EPDs for growth? This bull is a 70 for YW, which is only 5 lb. less than breed average. In my opinion, only giving up 5 pounds for a calving ease bull is pretty darn good.

That would be the exact reason Double V and I bought this bull because we are not satisfied to be anywhere but way above breed average. and his calving ease is spectacular. 51 WW, 88 for YW and a 115 for CED.......... and a .5 BW epd.

AMGV1204728 look him up. His epd's are pretty close to flawless as far as we are concerned and if all goes well we will be collecting him this fall!

Would you attribute gaining nearly as much weight post weaning to YW as they did from birth to ww to a poor milking dam or a result of being pushed on full feed? ~500lbs in 150 days? Sounds like a feedlot ration..

this bull has gained during this drought without feed, i have never had a bull that gained as he has and no feed he is on a grass and hay diet. I wouldn't belive it but i see it and yes having even growth was not a feedlot thing

double v":yhk2gecv said:
this bull has gained during this drought without feed, i have never had a bull that gained as he has and no feed he is on a grass and hay diet. I wouldn't belive it but i see it and yes having even growth was not a feedlot thing

His numbers look great. Wouldn't mind having some semen on him someday. Please post some pics one of these days!

By the way i have to wonder why you guys bother to argue with Massey. He is not really looking for information. Just a good fight!

Gelbvieh 5":3owe1mt9 said:
double v":3owe1mt9 said:

By the way i have to wonder why you guys bother to argue with Massey. He is not really looking for information. Just a good fight!
I won't say a good fight, a good troll maybe.

Here is why I have decided to go Gelbvieh. After researching different breeds and reading many posts, I have decided to follow DOC HARRIS' advice (while not always pithy but usually spot on). In this area, an efficient breed such as Aubrac would perform well but would not be received well due the the died in the wool establishment "black is best" crowd. Angus and Hereford dominate the area but are not usually crossed with continentals due to problems with availability as well as BW concerns.

I am aiming towards a herdsire seedstock operation that would provide a small number of bulls for local British breed herds that can provide: 1. meat (through increased weaning weights of offspring) 2. maternal (through heifer retention) 3. milk (once again dutifully mentioned through retention to offset the websites bloviators with their "bulls don't milk" comments) and 4. moderation

It should go without saying that all breeds have a sub-population that represent significant deviations from the mean, but the Gelbviehs consistently provide my 4 requirements. Simmental would fit the bill but our forage would not support their size. Limi's have been tried here before and while the breed has improved, the bad taste left from the 80's would deter even the best marketing. Irish Black's would work nicely but my self-reliant Texan bloodlines wouldn't tolerate all of the marketing restrictions.

Dissenters are welcome, but I would only point to the M.A.R.C. data from Clay Center, Nebraska. On a different note, since Gelbvieh means yellow cattle and some like to trade semantics, we could just call them Schwarzvieh and end the confusion.

Greenjeans

Latest posts