Gelbvieh Bull "Big Gun" WJW Double U Freedom Fog s

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I said I would post pics of my Freedom Fog son so here he is.The pics turned out fuzzy when downloading to photo bucket sorry.He is halter broke and comes when he is called. The only thing I don't like is that he is scurred.His 3rd dam is KCC Keriness Amanda 8K that won Sr. Champion & Reserve Champion at the IP exhibition in Armstrong B.C. last fall.I think he is going to work very nicely with my hiefers and 2nd calvers.HDG Big Gun 1S.Also they were taken Last week in May 07.I always forget to change the date on my camera.

IMGP0372.jpg

IMGP0373.jpg

IMGP0379.jpg

Feel free to critic him as I am not responsible for his gentics and I will still like him.He was only 75lbs at birth and his dam is around the thousand pound mark very small compared to her dam but this family has a disposition that is very gentle and easy to handle.

cowboyup216":9cdyx2s2 said:
Small Scrotal... I like nuts

????

Solid enough bull. age? do you have a rear shot? most the gelbvieh i've seen (not really that many) dont look like they have a tremendous amount of rear end from the profile, but are a mile wide from behind.

No matter how good of a bull you have, I don't think he'll do the job on gettin that horse bred :lol: lol. But really, I like the look of that guy, If he was on full feed like a show steer, he would look awesome. I think he can do the job. I would like to see a rear shot too. If he's thick enough from the back, he could have some really good potential as a herd sire.

cowboyup216":3w45v0q3 said:
Small Scrotal, not alot of butt, not really alot of lenght. I like nuts, guts, and length. This bull doesnt have it in my honest opinion.

Actually he measured at 34.5 cm for scrotal ,guess a pic isn't worth a thousand words.His semen test was off the hook.He weighs 1150lbs and was not grain pushed.Also he is almost as long as my Remitall bull that is 1500lbs and 38cm scrotal.His B date was Jan. 21 2006.His Dam gave me another bull calf this year out of my Remitall and he is definately a keeper also.My guys got 18 percent calf starter ration as a calves up to 6 months and then they got the same as everyone else grass and hay.BTW the horse behind him is 15.5 hands high and that is why I don't ride her anymore way to far to the ground for me :lol: .

I will try to get an a## shot for you guys but in case you haven't heard the news my province is covered in 2-3 feet of snow.We just got our power back on at 6:50 pm and it has been off since 4:30 am.It has been a he double hockey stick day.Major Damage around here.

Good start for a yearling bull. Not much wrong with his butt it is one part of a bull that has become highly over rated, while linear measurements a far more important aspect are often ignored.

Don't know what cowboyup is looking at, but he looks long enough, has what I would call a typical Gelbvieh muscle in his @$$, and you can't tell how big his nuts are from that last pic. They shouldn't hang any lower than that on a yearling. A long swinging pendulum for a scrotum is a bad thing. If he measured 34.5, he's fine. I like him.

How neat, i have some Freedom Fogs here in NZ and absolutely love them. Our first year trying them in our Gelbvieh herd, and we are impressed with how they have moderated the cattle, without taking away any of the good Gelbvieh traits. Here in NZ, we are all grass, with no grain feeding, so moderate, more efficient cattle are the way to go for us. We are looking forward to our next crop of Fog calves this spring (July/August).

I like him Hillsdown.
Kiwi good to hear fog is doing well for you down there. Is he being used much in NZ? (Wish I would have kept some semen rights when I sold Fog to Semex) I still have Freedom Fogs dam in production, she is one of those cows that does very well on little. She has a whopper of a balancer calf this year. My daughter has a Fog sired cow with calf that she will be showing at the national junior show and perhaps regina this fall. She is real moderate and has a tremendous April born bull calf on her. I will post some pics when we take her on the road.

elwapo":3lwuqney said:
I like him Hillsdown.
Kiwi good to hear fog is doing well for you down there. Is he being used much in NZ? (Wish I would have kept some semen rights when I sold Fog to Semex) I still have Freedom Fogs dam in production, she is one of those cows that does very well on little. She has a whopper of a balancer calf this year. My daughter has a Fog sired cow with calf that she will be showing at the national junior show and perhaps regina this fall. She is real moderate and has a tremendous April born bull calf on her. I will post some pics when we take her on the road.

Thanks Elwapo but you kind of have to say that since he comes from half of your breeding genetics.The cow your daughter is showing is that the same heifer she did well with previously that you posted pics of?I would really love to see the pics of her calf to get an idea of what the calves look like as I plan on using "Big Gun" next year with some of my R Angus cows.(By the way he has bred 8 heifers in less than 24 hours so he is definately virile lets hope they all take.)
If it is the same as the one in the pics she should do well that one was a beauty.
I think it is great that breeding stock from Alberta is being used world wide and next time you have one of your boys go for AI you know to get a piece of the pie.Judging from the animals you have it won't be long before you have another one in the AI catalogs.

Hi Elwapo, yes F.Fog has been well received down here. We have 2 calves this year, both are worth showing, i am breaking the heifer in at the moment, but the bull has had a bit of an illness, nothing serious and he will get 100%, but he might be a bit big for me to handle by then. I love their temperaments, and structure, nice and deep with a good spring of rib. Good colours too, and not too leggy, some Gelbvieh can be too leggy. I am looking forward to another couple of calves this season, and i will use him extensively, along with Top Brass over my heifers, as Fog's calving is easy, 35kg or so. They look nothing much when they are first born, but bloom into real attention grabbers. Would love to hear more about Fog, email me [email protected], and i can send you some pics of them if you are interested. I am starting the balancer thing here, still very new, only about 2 of us in the country are even attempting it. Have bought a really nice R.Angus of Leachman's decent, expecting the first of those this July. Kiwi beef farmers are a bit slower at grasping the advantages of cross breeding, but with a little persistance, hopefully that will change.

Thanks Hillsdown. Yes the show cow is the one I previously posted as a yearling. I will post the pictures as soon as I get them done. Her bull calf will be one to watch, very dark red and extremely well muscled. Some of us local producers are hosting a Colombian delegation in the area on the weekend. It would be fabulous to send some semen south on sires I own.

hillsdown":2zcj0yht said:
I said I would post pics of my Freedom Fog son so here he is.

He would work well on my old Herfs.

If I was planning to cross them over I would look seriously at this guy.

He'll do.

Bez>

Looks good to me. As for his butt, it looks better in the first two pictures than it does in the third. Probably the way he's standing in the third picture. His scrotum is fine.

I agree with Van. The third picture is not at all flattering.
Any bull can look bad if his positioning is off.

elwapo - I'd be interested in seeing a mature photo of Freedom Fog if you have a link to one.

Thanks
cfpinz

When we bought Fog straws there wasn't even proofs or pictures for him.We just went by what Anne and Tyson said/ suggested, who were our reps (and very good reliable dairy and beef resources) from Westgen.Things have changed completely with Westgen and I would never take someones word there anymore along with alot of the industry.

Pictures don't really mean alot.After being in Dairy and knowing how an expert team can manipulate the average cow to look outstanding ,I would rather see candid shots in the pasture of a specific cow/bull among other animals.

hillsdown":3dr36btn said:
Pictures don't really mean alot.After being in Dairy and knowing how an expert team can manipulate the average cow to look outstanding ,I would rather see candid shots in the pasture of a specific cow/bull among other animals.

Pasture photos would be fine. The only picture I've seen was in the Semex listing and it was at a young age.

cfpinz

The picture that semex used was one I took the day we shipped fog to them. They never took another. Sorry can't help.

Latest posts