Gelbvieh breed

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
Can anybody give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on Gelbvieh. I met my first one recently and am highly impressed but lowly informed.
Thanks,

Go to CattleToday Front Page, go to "Associations" on the green pane to the left, Click on it, scroll down to Gelbvieh, click on it and jump in with both feet! Also, go just below "Associations" and click on "BREEDS".

Welcome to the Beef Boards!

DOC HARRIS

Productive, good milkers and maternal, well muslced, generally calm, hasn;t recieved the recognition it deserves.

dun":4lc63dd8 said:
Productive, good milkers and maternal, well muslced, generally calm, hasn;t recieved the recognition it deserves.

You forgot an important one:

It is another of those breeds that crosses well with the infamous Angus and the not so famous Herf! 8)

Bez>

Bez>":2ti2r0fx said:
dun":2ti2r0fx said:

It is another of those breeds that crosses well
with the infamous Angus and the not so famous Herf! 8)
Bez>

Don't forget Simmi and Maine.My neighbor has a Gelbvieh x Simmi x Maine herd those are some really beauties next time they are by the road I'll take a pic and post it .He just added the Gelbvieh 3 years ago and it made a huge difference to his herd.

Bez>":3scvh8o7 said:
dun":3scvh8o7 said:

It is another of those breeds that crosses well with the infamous Angus and the not so famous Herf! 8)

Bez>

Bez, you are so right on that! My neighbor has mainly Gelbvieh cows, and he has started using an Angus bull on them, with great results.

I think they are crossing well with MG!

Michele

They also cross well with Brahman influenced cattle like Santa Gertrudis and Beefmaster. A friend of mine was using them in developing a composite that had Gelbvieh, Red Angus and Santa Gertrudis.

I messed up and meant to type Hereford instead of Red Angus (senior moment). He wanted the cattle to be 1/2 Gert, 1/4 Gelbvieh, 1/4 Hereford.

I agree with dun that the Gelbvieh breed hasn't received the recognition that they deserve. We have had Gelbviehs on the farm since '96 and found that they did everything that the Gelbvieh breed association promoted them to do (i.e. fast growth, docile disposition, high yielding carcasses, plenty of milk, etc.).

Gelbviehs were introduced into North America around the same time as the Simmy's, Limmy's, Maines, Chi's, etc., yet failed to gain the attention that several of these other breeds did. I think there are two three primary reasons for it:

1. There weren't as many big money breeders initially in the Gelbvieh breed.
2. The Gelbvieh association didn't do as good of job of promotion early on.
3. Much of the early demand for Simmy's, Chi's, etc. was due to the high demand from the club calf sector. The early Gelbviehs carried lots of leather up front which didn't make them attractive; especially to the show folks.

A tribute to the Gelbvieh breeds is that they continue to be one of the top 7 or 8 breeds in number registered in the US every year. Many of the earlier breeds that initially made a bigger splash than the Gelbviehs (Blonds, Chi's, Maines, ...) don't register as many today.

3 Year old F1 RAxGelbvieh with 3/4 RA calf
kasey.jpg

dun":29xfi7x8 said:
3 Year old F1 RAxGelbvieh with 3/4 RA calf
kasey.jpg
dun

What better brood cow would anyone desire than this magnificant example?! I think that Gelbvieh X Red Angus cross(assuming that the Genetics and Phenotype are optimal, OF COURSE) approaches the ideal as much as anything currently being done! Here is a beautiful "mamma cow", and her calf shows it!

DOC HARRIS

Geez Doc, thanks.
BTW, that calf is raising her second dandy calf, just like the older cows.

Frankie":155hrj2i said:
Nice girl. What do you think she weighs?

When the picture was taken she weighed 1680. When the calf was weaned that fall she weight 1502. The calf was 73 lbs at birth, weaned at 203 days 682 lbs. As a yearling she was 976. As a 2 year old just after calving she was 1358. I don;t know what I'm doing wrong. They're both FS 6 and put on weight on this poisonous toxic KY3 fescue

Gv seem to cross well with everything. The balancer thing is hot right now but there are other crosses that work just as good. Try a Gv you will be hooked on the breed.

Latest posts