Gave LA 200 for pinkeye last thurs can I give again?

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
Ok well normally one dose of la 200 and a patch has cleared them up. I did dose of La200 and a patch last thurs. Well it was still draining bad yesterday so I pulled patch to check it. I have been spraying with vetericyn also. So the tearing stopped today but her eye is very cloudy. Should I do another round of la200 and patch. Or is one round enough just repatch? This is my big girl shes a monster and has awesome calves. Plus she my favorite she will Never be sold. I dont want her having a bad eye. La200 is all I have at the moment just dont want to give her to much. Thanks everyone

I would give her a shot of draxxin, but if LA200 is what you have go ahead and give her another shot, I would also squirt some LA in the eye. Covering is not necasary in my opinion.

We had one last summer that the LA didn't clear at first. We gave a second dose and also a squirt of Pen G to the eyes (per vet). That stopped it, although by then she was pretty blind, unfortunately. Couldn't get a patch to stay on--would've helped a lot, no doubt.

She regained a good bit (maybe even most) of her sight and had a nice, albeit smaller, calf this summer. I'm a newbie but would try to get something beyond the LA as soon as possible, esp if it was my best producer. Good luck.

hicky214":haa391b0 said:
So the tearing stopped today but her eye is very cloudy. Should I do another round of la200 and patch. Or is one round enough just repatch?

I've been told that if the eye is not watering medication won't do much to help. I would repatch since that really seems to help the eye heal.

If she's a great big gal, my guess is you probably underdosed her and that is why not quite over it. Better to overdose than underdose. Suggest giving her another BIG dose of LA200, spray with vetericyn and repatch. Eye will probably be cloudy for a while but hopefully clear up over time. IMO-at this time that is all you can do and what happens after that is out of your hands.

Maybe the vet will chime in, but I have been told by my vets that LA200 is only effective for 48 hours. So treat and then re-treat in 2 days.

This has been posted before but spend the money on DRAXXIN. It is well worth the money and is effective for 7 days. When I had a pink eye outbreak a year ago, one shot of Draxxin cleared everything up every time. I use it for footrot now as well. Money well spent for only handling the animal once.

Draxxin is good.. to prevent an outbreak... but one vet told me one time.. treat it, and it will go away in about 2 weeks.. dont treat it and it will go away in about two weeks.

Limomike":sbc4aud0 said:
Draxxin is good.. to prevent an outbreak... but one vet told me one time.. treat it, and it will go away in about 2 weeks.. dont treat it and it will go away in about two weeks.
Ive heard that for years, but if I let one go, a week later 10 more have it. Then they get it in both eyes and eventually go blind.

Thanks guys and gals. She was not gonna go in shoot today for round 2 she was a good girl but she just stood there and a train wasnt gonna get her in head gate. She ended up falling and I just patched her and let her be. I have been on phone all night trying to get some draxxin but vets are being tough. They all want me to bring her in etc. I need it to have on hand its not like im gonna miss use it. I just had to have emergency surgery on my foot last week in a mexican hospital with zero pain meds while I was awake while they put the muscle in my foot back together. If I didnt mis use psin meds for that I doubt I will for a cow. Im trying to help her and its a pain getting good meds

Just got a vet that will sell me draxxin thursday and one way or another she is gonna get this shot. She is so big she doesnt like going into head gate. But thurs shes going in

denvermartinfarms":29p0pq6g said:
Limomike":29p0pq6g said:
Ive heard that for years, but if I let one go, a week later 10 more have it. Then they get it in both eyes and eventually go blind.

Agree, Denver. The "don't treat pinkeye; it'll go away on its own" advice was all I heard last summer when several of mine got it. One went essentially blind, and I regret it to this day. I've gotten a lot of advice in the past 3 years; that's the only hands-down "bad" advice so far (well, that, and to toss a handful of salt in the affected eye). Ringworm, on the other hand, does seem to respond well to benign neglect!

Limomike":rmzr4460 said:
as I said, I have heard that for years too. but I treat all mine at the first sign of an outbreak. Never have one one get it in both eyes...

hicky214":3kd1l58f said:
Thanks guys and gals. She was not gonna go in shoot today for round 2 she was a good girl but she just stood there and a train wasnt gonna get her in head gate. She ended up falling and I just patched her and let her be. I have been on phone all night trying to get some draxxin but vets are being tough. They all want me to bring her in etc. I need it to have on hand its not like im gonna miss use it. I just had to have emergency surgery on my foot last week in a mexican hospital with zero pain meds while I was awake while they put the muscle in my foot back together. If I didnt mis use psin meds for that I doubt I will for a cow. Im trying to help her and its a pain getting good meds
I would be sure to NEVER again use any of the vets that won't sell you medicine. I would also tell everyone I knew not to.

denvermartinfarms":4al59ksx said:
hicky214":4al59ksx said:
I would be sure to NEVER again use any of the vets that won't sell you medicine. I would also tell everyone I knew not to.

I agree, if you have built a relationship with a vet and they know your operation most things should be able to be dealt with over the phone. I would say 90% of my issues require a quick call and I go pick up drugs. If I was a vet I would support the lower dose single treatment of Draxxin over LA200.

denvermartinfarms":gpvtitxy said:
hicky214":gpvtitxy said:
Vets like to actually see you have some cattle before they just go to handing it out. I'm working with one now that after he saw some of ours and got to know us he doesn't have a problem passing out the good stuff. He wouldn't do that for someone that just walks in or calls.

jedstivers":167gxayz said:
denvermartinfarms":167gxayz said:
hicky214":167gxayz said:
Vets like to actually see you have some cattle before they just go to handing it out. I'm working with one now that after he saw some of ours and got to know us he doesn't have a problem passing out the good stuff. He wouldn't do that for someone that just walks in or calls.
So what do people without cattle do with draxxin and the other good medicine? I'm being 100% serious, I have no idea.

Latest posts