Gate latches

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can find some good heavy latches to put on tube gates in the barn? Must not extend past the end of the gate and still allow gate to swing both ways. Priefert has some but they want a mint for them, I built some a few years back but have run out of material and don't want to buy new steel just for a few latches.

Thanks in advance

cfpinz

Howdy,
I do not think there is anything left with regards to a latch, since you stated not beyond the end of the gate.

A over the top wire loop maybe. I use the co-line ones here, pass-thru and one way bump.

Get a piece of flat bar, drill it and slot it out. Then use a chain after you attach the flat bar to the gate. You can weld it on or else use lag bolts if it is wood.

Another one: Round stock in a pipe is nice. Put a spring in the bottom of the pipe and cap it. The round stock will slide out into it goes into the eye stop.

Both of these will work on a two way gate and hold stock secure.

backhoeboogie":1mtf28lz said:
Get a piece of flat bar, drill it and slot it out. Then use a chain after you attach the flat bar to the gate. You can weld it on or else use lag bolts if it is wood.

Another one: Round stock in a pipe is nice. Put a spring in the bottom of the pipe and cap it. The round stock will slide out into it goes into the eye stop.

That's what I did last time but have run out of materials and only need to make 2 or 3 latches, hate to buy sticks for that.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3azl68zn said:
backhoeboogie":3azl68zn said:

That's what I did last time but have run out of materials and only need to make 2 or 3 latches, hate to buy sticks for that.

cfpinz

The old tire iron works on 1/2 inch pipe. Most of the time you probably use a 4 way anyway. Grab that old lug wrench and use it for your round stock.

My "junk" iron pile is about played out. Too many projects consumed it.

Latest posts