Gate Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
The wife was feeding tonight and bumped the gate with the ATV. The carabineer that attaches the chain to the gate broke. Any ideas on how to fix it? Seems pretty shoddy to break that easily. I'm thinking about using a bolt to attach it on there, but wondered if anyone knew of anything better.

A bolt should work just fine. Was this a fairly new gate? I can't believe how "Cheap" gates are being mass produced now... Go with at least a 16ga 55,000psi steel gate that will last a while!

TN Cattle Man said:
A bolt should work just fine. Was this a fairly new gate? I can't believe how "Cheap" gates are being mass produced now... Go with at least a 16ga 55,000psi steel gate that will last a while!

I've often thought a fella would be ahead of the game using quality gates and feeders and such.

What brand would you suggest Tn Cattle Man?

Use a bolt with a lock nut. Preferably stainless steel. Todays cheap gates are so thin that the weld on the seam of the pipes won't hold up and when it splits, it rusts quickly.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TN Cattle Man said:

I've often thought a fella would be ahead of the game using quality gates and feeders and such.

What brand would you suggest Tn Cattle Man?
:lol: You know what brand I'm going to suggest... Sioux Steel Victory gates of course! Still the gate with the lifetime warranty!!

Go old school and use a chain with a snap... or a rope is even better. I don't mind using those to hold the gate closed for a couple minutes while I go in but I don't trust them to hold cattle in. I trust a rope more than any thing but I don't mind a chain with a snap.

I like chain with a snap. Even on gates with keepers. I want the chain attached to the gate, welded here, but a bolt or a snap works. If you don't you'll be picking it up of the ground all the time. My gates all swing all the around to lay against the fence when open so the chain also serves to hold the gate open.
Rope is a bad idea imo. Either it eventually wears through from the wind. Or a critter, especially horses and donkeys but cows to eat at it.

I really like Powder River Classic gates. Several times I have had 1,000 pound heifers jump a gate. End up suspended on top of the gate for several seconds and when they finally go over the gate still looks like new.

This gate was supposed to be a "heavy duty" gate, at least the price tag was. Apparently they skimp on some of their parts.

callmefence said:
I like chain with a snap. Even on gates with keepers. I want the chain attached to the gate, welded here, but a bolt or a snap works. If you don't you'll be picking it up of the ground all the time. My gates all swing all the around to lay against the fence when open so the chain also serves to hold the gate open.
Rope is a bad idea imo. Either it eventually wears through from the wind. Or a critter, especially horses and donkeys but cows to eat at it.

We got rope on gates that you would have to use a hacksaw to cut off. Its petrified from being so old. We have a strict no horse or donkey rule though. :D

TN Cattle Man said:

I use 11 gauge tube steel. I weld either sheep panel or utility panel onto the gate once its built. The stitch welding seems to draw (bow) the gate so I pre-stress it 2 or 2 1/2 inches, depending on length.

I do have a picture of a full size van sitting on top of one of my gates. The gate was not designed to bear that type of load but the cows didn't get out either.

The ones I really like are the 2" tubes with 16ga throughout.Use them in high pressure areas and they have worked well.A little too expensive for me in pasture gates,though.
On a side note,does anyone else take the chain off the gate and attach it to the post then add a snap to the end? A lot of times,the chain is too short to go around the post,anyway. I like the newer style chain catches that are welded on most all gates now but I still like to wrap the chain around and snap it when leaving it to be secured.

Either another carabiner, or you can buy removable chain links, they have a threaded barrel that you can tighten with a wrench on one side.

Any chain on a pen gate should have a snap or something. Even baling wire works. They have all the time in the world to figure how to get out. We've had them lick and mess around with gate chains before.

This is the style of gate I have. I still can't figure out how she broke it.
https://www.behlencountry.com/product/6-heavy-duty-gate-2/

Atimm693 said:
Either another carabiner, or you can buy removable chain links, they have a threaded barrel that you can tighten with a wrench on one side.

Any chain on a pen gate should have a snap or something. Even baling wire works. They have all the time in the world to figure how to get out. We've had them lick and mess around with gate chains before.

The cows we have now are better about it. For some reason the LH's we started with would mess with them really badly, but the Angus can't be bothered to think about gates. I'm glad we made the switch to Angus, on multiple levels.

Tell the wife good job something I'd do.... never mind I'd broke the entire gate and let the cows out. 😁🤦🏽‍♀️ Hey on the positive side she didn't let the cows out. 👍🏽