Gas prices

Help Support CattleToday:

MOGAL
the carburator you refer to was mfg by FISH (if memory is correct)
yes i could get 50 mpg!
no FORD did not buy the patent!
it was nothing more than the old down draft type carb like i have on my 30 model "A" except it had a pressure chamber to increase vapors reaching the combustion chamber!!! the reason FORD< GMC CHRYSLER STUEBAKER and the rest did not buy the patent was because it could not be applied to modern, (even 50's cars) higher compression engines!
just another myth!!!!!!
yes there are more efficient ways to burn fuels but that old carb is not one of them!!! been around about as long as the old air/fuel/water myth!

One thing that could be done is to get a smaller car that gets really good gas milage. Do you guys think that the price of these cars will be going up and the big Suv's down. Boy I sure hope they can get things more under control over there, it's a mess.
Greenwillows Wife

I went to England back in 1974 and a car was considered a gas hog if it got 65 mpg.

Any foreign vehicle (whether manufactured here or brought over) has to be retrofitted to US specs which also includes a lesser mpg than it gets in its own country.

Mema - we can agree to disagree. If you think that we do not have the technology or the means in this country to have a vehicle, even an 8 cylindered one to get 100 miles to the gallon then that is your perogative. Just like an attorney told me last month that when congress passed the bill to stop lead from being put into paint, the real reason was because our government satellites could not penetrate into buildings with lead paint. Some people refuse to believe that former Pres. Bill Clinton gave away Yellowstone, .... gave it to the United Nations, they have half the upkeep and we pay the other half (actually we pay both halves since the US puts in 90% of the monies in the UN)

Did anyone see the news clip (our local station is a CBS one) about making your own diesel?? The guy went around to restaurants and got their old oil, processed it and said it burns cleaner. The news anchor woman put her head down by the exhaust and said it smelled like french fries.

diesel prices here went up to 3.25 at one place and 3.19 at another. gas is up to 3.15. i'm so glad i drive a car and had fueled up with diesel at smith's the other day. it was, dare i say it, only 2.85 earlier in the week. :p i hope they go down soon. there are going to be lots of ppl walking and riding bikes as much as possible here soon, if not already.

cowgirl580":2f9bjc33 said:
there are going to be lots of ppl walking and riding bikes as much as possible here soon, if not already.

Maybe the "fat content" in the american people will go down then.

I doubt it but wishful thinking. :roll:

MoGal
More info about veg oil use in a diesel motor here.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

I know a fella that used reclaimed fryer grease in a 90's model Dodge. But by the time he picks the grease up, cleans it up
(3 stage process) etc. to make a usable fuel his ROI for time is null. And his exhaust did smell like a greasy spoon eatery :D

dj":3dbqhwdw said:
MoGal
More info about veg oil use in a diesel motor here.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

I know a fella that used reclaimed fryer grease in a 90's model Dodge. But by the time he picks the grease up, cleans it up
(3 stage process) etc. to make a usable fuel his ROI for time is null. And his exhaust did smell like a greasy spoon eatery :D

If the reclaimation process is not done correctly or the cooking oil was burnt by your local Mc Donalds it will create acids that will destroy your engine. I can see it now a bunch of rednecks getting cooking oil and pouring it in their diesel tanks.

Mogal do ya'll have a lot of UFO sightings in your area as well.
You can get people to believe anything lead was taken out of paint and gasoline by the EPA due to health Hazards.

Read IQ of the average American was 90 must have graded on the curve.

Educate yourself .

In The LOOP

On land, pipelines transport two-thirds of the nation's oil. On water, barges and tank carriers are responsible for transporting large amounts oil. But pipelines also play a role in the delivery of oil via sea.

[A port facility known as the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port (LOOP) helps deliver oil from barges and carriers to pipelines and eventually land terminals.

LOOP is located 18 miles south of Grand Isle, La., and serves as the only port in the United States capable offloading deep-draft tankers that are too large to transverse inland ports.

LOOP is the largest U.S. offload station, and it handles 11 percent of the nation's imported oil.

"The facility plays a vital role in the distribution and refinement of oil," said Terry Gee, executive director of LOOP. "LOOP links four major pipeline companies to five pipeline systems and refineries throughout Louisiana, the Midwest and the Gulf Coast."

The process for collecting oil from the tankers begins with a device called a Single Point Mooring (SPM). Crews connect hoses and lines, which can rotate 360 degrees to account for changes in wind and water, to the tankers. The crude oil travels through the hoses to the SPMs where it is collected.

Once the SPM collects the oil, it travels through a 56-inch submarine pipeline to the Marine Terminal of the LOOP. The SPMs are located 8,000 feet from the main Marine Terminal at water depths of 115 feet.

The terminal includes a control platform and a pumping platform. The control platform consists of a landing pad, living quarters, a control room, a vessel traffic control station and offices. The pumping platform is home to the pumps, power generators and laboratory facilities that measure and sample the oil.

After being collected at the marine terminal, the oil travels via pipeline to the Fourchon Booster Station and then on to the Clovelly Dome Storage Terminal.

The Clovelly storage facility consists of eight underground salt caverns whose storing capacity exceeds 40 million barrels.

Clovelly operators then ship the oil through any of five major pipelines connected to the facility. These lines link the facility to more than 30 percent of the United State's refinery capacity.

As with all pipeline projects, maintaining safety and limiting environmental impact are a high priority. The LOOP is no exception. To maintain a productive and safe environment, LOOP operators must stay within strict safety guidelines at all times. Crew members are prohibited from smoking and using radios, radars, hand lights or electrical devices on deck.

Since LOOP began operations in 1981, the facility has offloaded more than six billion barrels of foreign oil.

The PADD's

PADD: Petroleum Administration for Defense Districts

PAD District I (East Coast) is composed of the following three subdistricts:

Subdistrict IA (New England): Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont.

Subdistrict IB (Central Atlantic): Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania.

Subdistrict IC (Lower Atlantic): Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia.

PAD District II (Midwest): Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Wisconsin.

PAD District III (Gulf Coast): Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Texas.

PAD District IV (Rocky Mountain): Colorado Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming.

PAD District V (West Coast): Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington.

Pipelines transport over 38 million barrels of crude oil, feedstocks and ... PADD 3 is the origin of 90% of crude oil and 80% of the refined products

The East Coast (PADD 1) has virtually no indigenous crude oil

CC
re:crisco in the go juice tank
I'm not sure/don't remember his whole process. I do remember he had to plumb his engine block water back to the fuel tank to keep it from "jellin up". I don't think this is something the average shade tree wrencher will take on.

re: padd 3
That is also where the majority of natural gas comes from isn't it?

It's surprising no has brought up the LP/NG alternatives.
Seemed like every farmer had a propane tank in the bed when I grew up.I wonder what the tax is on an LP tag now?

certherfbeef":3rjv6tgw said:
cowgirl580":3rjv6tgw said:
there are going to be lots of ppl walking and riding bikes as much as possible here soon, if not already.

Maybe the "fat content" in the american people will go down then.

I doubt it but wishful thinking. :roll:

:roll: yup, wishful thinking. i'm half tempted to walk myself, even if it is 10 miles. either that or just haul my bike to town and leave it at my brothers house and ride everywhere. that'll help with my fat content, don't know about everyone else's though. guess there on their own. :)

Just another thought. Many have said that the rising gas prices are simply the result of supply and demand. What if the electric power companies were permitted to price gouge in the same manner? Demand for energy is high and the only thing keeping the power companies from jacking their prices (and profits) are government controls. Energy (both fuel & electric) is what makes this nation tic. No energy supplier should be permitted to price gouge for any reason, because it only hurts the nation.

Long term, we need to reduce/eliminate our dependance on fossil fuels. Focus on replenishable sources.

I also find it curious that many people blame Pres. Bush for not stepping in to limit the price gouging. Your congressmen represent you and your interests. Why aren't people focusing on the represenatives that are suppose to look out for them? It's too easy to put the focus on just one person. Congress are the one's who should act! Oh, I forgot, they're on vacation too! :roll:

$3.70 for regular in queens NY and for super its $3.99 its gotta be way higher in mahattan. I work for my moms cousin whose a contractor and he uses V8 5.4L econoline 250's he's gonna be putting out alot of cash just for fuel on these puppies.

We have 250 years of known coal reserves and we can convert coal to gasoline. We need to be building Hydroelectric dams and nuclear power plants as well.

well if our president was CEO of a company in as bad of shape as this country is, the shareholders would give him a ham sandwich and a roadmap and a wave goodbye. My thoughts only.

Been off of the boards for a couple of weeks. Valor had to come out and repair a line today, it took them two weeks to find the problem. Gas is $2.65 in Tulas Oklahoma today, we are so glad to see it going down. We went looking at new cars Saturday to see it we can get one with 38 miles a gallon. We are not decided on what we want to do yet.
G.W. Wife

Latest posts