Garden Progress?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":3r9yxatn said:
Jogeephus":3r9yxatn said:
If only we could make biodiesel out of pigweed. :banana:

Joe, good idea. Why not cut the brush and trees out away from that contraption you got down there in the holler. Oh yeah :???: That requires a different recipe.
Does bio take some kind of a refinery or something?

I don't know how they extract the oil. A friend of mine runs a plant farm and they are growing some kind of grass to send your way that is supposed to get about 20 feet tall. They say its going to be used for the biodiesel. Can't recall the name of it but it seems like it starts with and M.

I guess on corn and soybeans they press the oil out, putting it under extreme pressure? Imagine what you would get from a truck load of pig weed? You would have ten tons of pigweed and get 11 tons of green slimy stuff. :nod: :???: :cowboy:

mnmtranching":han6gsxx said:
I guess on corn and soybeans they press the oil out, putting it under extreme pressure? Imagine what you would get from a truck load of pig weed? You would have ten tons of pigweed and get 11 tons of green slimy stuff. :nod: :???: :cowboy:

And when burned the stickers would punch holes in the ozone layer.

Glad ya'll got something growing. We decided to disc the tomatoes - just weren't doing anything. A couple hundred planted and not a one of them was doing any good - just too much rain. Corn and beans are looking good but that's about it.

Jogeephus":31955orp said:
1982vett":31955orp said:
Just had a piece of the first cantelope of the season. MMM....mmmm...good. :nod:

Rub it in. Mine didn't do something. Like come up. :lol2:

I had a couple slices from one pulled from a friend's garden yesterday.....it was really good. then I found out that I had given him those seeds that I got out of a cantalope from our garden last year......it was very tasty. I'm still waiting on mine to get ripe.

Bullbuyer":29ffs9w1 said:
We got broccoli!! Got it by the buckets - any idea what in the world to do with it?

Broccoli, diced carrots and mushrooms mairinated in a plastic bag overnight in Italian dressing works good for me.

1982vett":8yxyqu40 said:
Watch it.......here comes the salt...........I got mine planted late, but this one came up volunteer in the peas. :tiphat: Since I plant a hybrid variety the volunteers usually aren't any good, but this one is excellent.

I'm just now getting blossoms on mine. Planted them pretty late, though, where my peas would have been if they came up... :mad:

Lammie":2rfqkjqs said:
1982vett":2rfqkjqs said:
Watch it.......here comes the salt...........I got mine planted late, but this one came up volunteer in the peas. :tiphat: Since I plant a hybrid variety the volunteers usually aren't any good, but this one is excellent.

I'm just now getting blossoms on mine. Planted them pretty late, though, where my peas would have been if they came up... :mad:

I looked thru the grass and found some a bit bigger than softballs so I guess in several weeks I'll have a bunch to give away. Picked 3 last week off another volunteer vine that tasted worse than store bought. Weren't sweet at all. My peas are blooming again since we got that rain last week. Bugs will probably get them this time.

I'm done. My daughter and I put up 43 quarts of peas Monday morning. Its too hot now to work in the garden. Turned the cows loose in the goat pen. I still have cukes, okra and tomatoes to gather but this will just be for the table. I still have 8 rows of peas just coming in so I gave them all to some friends to pick. If they don't pick em the cows will be in heaven.

Rototilled the east half of my garden today, twice. Finally dried out enough to get in it. We have gotten over 2 inches of rain since the 4th.
Planted my new tomatos, cucumbers, squash, green bell pepper, green beans, spinach, cantalope, watermelon and zuchini. Corn takes too long so I didn't bother.
Weeds are getting ahead of me in my potatos. Need to get out there and clean them out. Going to till up the western part that is now empty. No idea of what to plant there. :? *sigh*

rather cool day today.

Been pickin' some really nice Jade beans - sort of a stringless half runner. The flavor is the same and the prep time is a whole lot less. Corn should be ready by the weekend - can almost taste it now!!!

Wife's garden is about petered out. Still got collard greens and okra. Everything else been pulled up and thrown away.

Put up about the last of the dill pickles Sunday. Tomatoes are coming in and we put up 7 pints. More to come. Made some pepper sauce as well.

Peas are a coming. Okra is good. Corn is over for the most part. We put up over 250 ears. Squash has become a nuisance.

Intersting little note on the sweet corn this year. It seems as though the silks aren't turning brown when the corn is ready! I know that sounds crazy but that's what we've always used to determine if it was ready - we just happened to check a few ears and they were almost too full and the silks were still very brightly colored. Anybody else seeing this in their patches?

Latest posts