Garden Progress?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Just wondering how everybody was doing with their gardening. We got onions, potatoes and broccoli planted but that's about it. Still a little cool at night around here and the rain has not been real agreeable lately either. They tell me that vegetables plants have gone up a little bit but I haven't priced anything by the flat yet - might be afraid to. Our broccoli was a gift so not sure how pricey it would be at the greenhouses.

Started my tomatos and herbs.
I really don't plant my garden until about the second week in May. Got nailed on May 11, 2004 by a sudden snow storm. :roll:
Will start my cucumbers, pumpkins and others inside at the end of this month so they are ready for June.

I've got carrots,radishes,beans,cucumbers,onions,and pepper plants all coming on strong. Tomatoes are blooming and the potatoes are big enough to start blooming anytime now.Onion's are about 1ft. tall.
Bought 4 more tomato plants,and 4 pepper plants at wally world and total bill $22.50. I am gonna save seeds from all plants this fall.

Cal

Planted tomatoes, squash, watermellon, cucumbers. Got the ground ready for the corn, beans and peas but I'm getting slack. Also planted a bunch of thornless black berries. Anyone grow these?

I've tried thornless blackberries several times. They do fine through one growing season, and then promptly die. I don't think I have the right kind of dirt for them. Years ago, my father-in-law had some in a sandy soil mixture he concocted, and they really did well.

We have to get by with the wild dewberries.

I've started my seedless watermelons last week and they are up already. Really good germination on them this year. We have barely been in the field at all and haven't planted one kernel of corn. :(
Counted my seed varieties -67- it'll take a while to get them all organized.

Everything is up and growing.

Tomato
Pepper
Peas
Beans
Carrots
Okra
Spinach
Zuchini
Squash
Onions
Garlic
Asparagus
Peanuts
Watermelon
Broccoli
Pumpkins
Sunflowers and assorted herbs.

Going to be a busy year if I can keep the deer out of it. :)

I have two kinds of taters, maters, spinach, black eyed peas, green beans, hot peppers and sweet corn. Onions. I forgot onions. I planted twice as many of those this year as I have before. I love onions and run out before I want to.

grannysoo":xuo6yet5 said:
Everything is up and growing.

Tomato
Pepper
Peas
Beans
Carrots
Okra
Spinach
Zuchini
Squash
Onions
Garlic
Asparagus
Peanuts
Watermelon
Broccoli
Pumpkins
Sunflowers and assorted herbs.

Going to be a busy year if I can keep the deer out of it. :)
When are you planting the corn, cucumbers, and eggplant?

WELL HERE IN OKLA. MINE IS DOIN PRETTY GOOD. CORN HAS BEEN PLANTED 2 TIMES, BUT NOW IT IS ABOUT 3 INCHES TALL. TOMATOES ARE DOIN GOOD , LETTACE, RADISHES, POTATOES, ONIONS, WE HAVE HAD LOTS OF RAIN SO IT DID GET SET BACK A BIT. I KNOW THE HEAT IS COMEING. HOT OKLA DAYS WILL BE HERE SOON. I JUST GOT SOME BELTED GALLOWAY CATTLE SO MY GARDEN HAS TAKEN A BACK SEAT FOR A BIT. I GOTTA GET BACK TO IT WHEN IT DRIES. MARTY

don't raise a lot of garden any more. grazing the horses in the garden now. Last year the squirrels got the first planting of corn on the day that I had planned to harvest it. I came home and it was gone and corn husks were hanging in the cedar tree closest to the garden. drought got all the rest.
We have enough professional vegetable men in this area that I can reasonably buy what I need from friends and still put up what I want. Must have some fresh tomatoes and peppers though. still trying to figure out where to plant some cucumbers.

do have some peppers planted for home use and have eight tomatoe plants planted for home use. Have a few brocolli going in a new flower border down by the stable. built the border and filled it with horse manure. Probably will just have brocolli plants eight feet tall. stuck a couple of Fantastic tomatoes in there as well. expect and abundance of foilage from them.

I planted thornless blckberries several times and have never gotten squat from them. Have some that have survivived but they have not thrived. Planted some Jim and Jan from stark last year that are thorned and they seem to have taken holt.

I am about to rototill so I can plant. we had snow last week wich was a total shock, nothing like what they are getting in MN right now!
and I cant believe you guys plant blackberries of ANY kind. I hate those things with a passion, they grow here like Kudzu vine does in the south. they take over everything and they are harder than hec to kill. you can mow them chop them spray them and turn goats loose on them but they just grow back cause you cant kill the roots, the only thing that kills the root are pigs and an excavator and I am not willing to turn pigs loose on my property. I have 4 or 5 different kinds that took over my property before I bought it and I have been waging war ever since.

csutton":3i9lk6fs said:
Here's a little bit of my progress:

Dug these today to check progress

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/12151 ... 500Q85.jpg

Onion photo was taken last week

http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/39767 ... 500Q85.jpg

I am jealous! When did you plant? I planted before Easter but had to replant a lot because we had an awful storm and it washed away the seeds. I have everything up, but look at those lovely potatoes! I won't have those till late late in summer.

My onions are the few things I didn't replant and I have good green ones now, but it will be June before I get big ones.

I envy you!!!

Lammie":27sl1buz said:
csutton":27sl1buz said:
Here's a little bit of my progress:

Dug these today to check progress

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/12151 ... 500Q85.jpg

Onion photo was taken last week

http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/39767 ... 500Q85.jpg

I am jealous! When did you plant? I planted before Easter but had to replant a lot because we had an awful storm and it washed away the seeds. I have everything up, but look at those lovely potatoes! I won't have those till late late in summer.

My onions are the few things I didn't replant and I have good green ones now, but it will be June before I get big ones.

I envy you!!!

I planted really early this year, Feb 10th. The onions were set out on Jan 27th. I got a lot of other stuff up, like squash, cukes, watermelons, corn, beans, peppers, and peas but because we had a pattern of wet weather, I couldnt plant them till the end of March. But they're coming up nicely. I still got about 2 weeks or so before the majority of the taters are ready. Here's the 13 rows of 'em:

http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/41077 ... 500Q85.jpg

Got 50# of spuds in and some beds preped but that's it still getting below freezing at night and don't have the soil temp to plant anything. The breakfast room is our greenhouse and is over run with seedlings waiting for warm weather.
DMc

Only thing I put in may garden so far is cow manure. May is a big month up here. Early May is cold and freezes every night, by the third week it's Warm, or hot Summertime. :D Usually :roll:

Latest posts