Galvanized water tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Gunner

Reaction score
I cleaned out my 6' round galvanized water tank the other day. Created some holes up to 1/2 dollar size when the water pressure hit it. Any advice on patching holes or should I just replace it? A little background. Tank is 7-8 years old. When I bought it new, I coated the inside and bottom outside with a good quality mobile home roof coating thinking that would help lengthen the life span. The tank only gets used about 6 months out of each year and I have washed it out and turned it upside down when not in use. I really thought it would last longer than this. I have not used a pressure washer to clean it, just a pressure nozzel on a water hose. Any advice would be appreciated.

Get a new one and don;t coat it. Better yet, get one of the Rubbermaids

I'd recommend getting a new one. On that one just take the bottom out the rest of the way fill it with dirt and plant strawberries or whatever erlse you like. It will make a dandy raised garden bed.

Standard treatment was to line the inside with chicken mesh tied to the tank walls and skim a 3/4 inch layer of cement over it ,last for 20 years more.

Why it rusted out is more of a mystery. Sound like the layer you put on allowed some acidic or electrolytic activity to eat the galvanising away in patches? Or maybe its what you store in it , or near it . Animal urine does that.

Scrap it !!!!
You can't run fast enough to give me one of them galvanized tanks they are just a money pit.
I can get all the earth mover tires I want for free cut the bead out and a 3.00 bag of redi-mix and you got a water tank that will last for 1000 years ,according to one web site that tells how to make them,they work great can even fix a drain to clean them if you like.

BRYANT":1h8pei8u said:
Scrap it !!!!
I can get all the earth mover tires I want for free cut the bead out and a 3.00 bag of redi-mix and you got a water tank that will last for 1000 years

Only found one web site so a link post would make good reading.
One I saw was 400 gallons ,hardly a water tank just a drinking trough.
Rubber tyres have additives in them , carbon and other chemicals to stablise the latex .
What will leach out?

tytower":2g1mipry said:
Only found one web site so a link post would make good reading.
One I saw was 400 gallons ,hardly a water tank just a drinking trough.
Rubber tyres have additives in them , carbon and other chemicals to stablise the latex .
What will leach out?
I don't remember the wed site, it was several years ago that I read it and did not save it. I think it was a State Dep. of Ag. but not forsure.
As for the 400 gal you can get the tires that are 30 inches tall by 9 1/2 foot that is a pretty good size trough. Also you can plum 2 or 3 together if you like after all they are FREE or stay with the galanized and contend with the rust.
the "leaching chemicals" it wont hurt your stock if it would I would have killed something long ago. We have used tires for waters and feeders for many years for cattle ,horses, hogs ,mules,chickens and dogs never had a problem

Latest posts