Galvanized metal removal

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Am wanting to remove the galvanzition from a cow panel and was planning on using muriatic acid to take it off. Has anyone ever done this or is there an easier way besides this?

Yes I think you are right. I was warned to be careful of the fumes. I've kinda got an interesting dilema. I'm planning on building a flipping rack for a whole hog I'll be cooking next weekend and I thought a hog panel would be ideal but I got to wondering about whether the galvanization would be food safe cause I don't want to make anyone sick. What I learned was that the zinc will burn off at 650F and this could taint the meat. I thought no problem being I don't cook at that temp. Wrong. Turns out mild concentrations of acid found in the meat will release the zinc under no heat at all. Zinc in itself is not that big a deal but apparantly some galvanization process also use cadium and lead in their process and I don't know if these are present and don't care to risk it and I can't afford a stainless steal hog panel if there is such a thing. Of course all of this is for the sake of others cause I as a child was known to pass the time by eating paint chips and other grabbables. ;-)

If you live near a gravel washing plant or know where one is, they usually will have some used screens they will sell cheap. They usually start out really heavy (1/2 in. bars, 4 or 5 inch holes) and go down to masonry sand size (1/16th bars, 1/32th holes). They get worn and have to be changed pritty regular.They make really good grates for a grill and I've used them for all kinds of stuff.

That sounds like a good source for stock problem though is we don't have rocks and the closest place I know is 2 hours from here. The hog panel has both the pliability and the strength I need for this project except its got the galvanization on it. I'll probably give the muratic acid a try today and see how it goes. I could burn it off but its getting awefully dry here now.

Not worth the risk in making a bunch of people ill........Go down and spend the money on something ungalvanized. Shouldn't take very long to make a grate out of 1/2inch rod or the easiest being a sheet of expanded metal.

it will only etch the surface..sandblasting might remove it but its gonna be alotta trouble and even then i wouldnt wanna cook with it cuz the galv is absorbed into the metals pores when it s applied hot...dont use it jo..it aint gonna come out right for ya

gary

1982vett":2bvpecsl said:
Not worth the risk in making a bunch of people ill........Go down and spend the money on something ungalvanized. Shouldn't take very long to make a grate out of 1/2inch rod or the easiest being a sheet of expanded metal.

Its not going to be a grate per se but something to sandwich the hog between when I have to flip it. Its not the money cause I have the expanded metal but what I'm looking for is the flexibility and strength of the cow panel. A friend of mine called me this morning and he has found a roll of concrete reinforcement mesh. I haven't seen it yet but it might work.

dieselbeef":2bvpecsl said:
it will only etch the surface..sandblasting might remove it but its gonna be alotta trouble and even then i wouldnt wanna cook with it cuz the galv is absorbed into the metals pores when it s applied hot...dont use it jo..it aint gonna come out right for ya

gary

You make a good point. I'm probably splitting hairs with this thing cause I've seen people wrap hogs in chicken wire and hang them in pits and nobody got sick but the thought of lead or cadium getting in the food has got me scratching my head. Something limber like a panel would be perfect.

Jogeephus":3uj3w7n4 said:
Its not going to be a grate per se but something to sandwich the hog between when I have to flip it. Its not the money cause I have the expanded metal but what I'm looking for is the flexibility and strength of the cow panel. A friend of mine called me this morning and he has found a roll of concrete reinforcement mesh. I haven't seen it yet but it might work.

:idea: Ok, got a better picture of what you are trying to do now. The concrete mesh should work.

The acid will work but it will have to be submerged. Its what welders use before welding on any galv coating. The acid will eat off the coat in no time

Phosphoric acid will dissolve it too but slowly. I suspect any acid will eat zinc . You can buy rods of zinc and heat your metal with an oxy torch then melt on the rod . This gives good repairs for damaged Gal. The galvanisers I use only melt pure zinc ingots for hot dipping . Have not seen any other chemicals used except a degreaser/cleaner before dipping.

Concreting mesh but fine stuff would probably suit you more for that job . I would use the gal and heat the stuff up for a few hours before use to burn off anything transferable .

Thanks for the tips. I did a little test run using some muratic acid on a panel piece and it cleaned it quicker than paint remover removes paint. Don't know about the pours and such but this sure will come in handy if I ever need to weld something galvanized.

so get some steel welding rod in 1/4" & weld them together to make the pannel & no poision just steel or get some steel expanded metal as mentioned

Latest posts