gallagher 800 fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh Annie, I feel for you, but are you SURE he hooked it up bu accident? Not lingering passive-aggresive grudge for some long forgotten issue?

When things go wrong at our house, that is usually my first suspicion. As No.1 never ever argues, and rarely passes a bad word though those beautiful ips, but i know that pent up frustrations have to be released somehow.

I swore that after she rolled our almost new tractor and she realized she was still alive and actually ok, I may have seen a sly smirk from her when she saw how berzerk and upset i was over the damage to my sweet baby.(yes, I was more concerned for her then the tractor, at least initially)

Not to be vindictive (ha-ha...rrrrrright), but if he did that on purpose he'd have wanted to be careful when he started his truck...

There's a nifty little trick I've heard about where you run a wire from the starter under the floor mat and leave an exposed end coming up right about where the driver sets his bottom.

Apparently when the key is turned in the ignition, the driver is on the receiving end of a 'shocking' experience. ;-)

Take care.

We had one of our cows decide that she wanted a new career as an escape artist :x I lost count of the times I would come home to find her standing at the side of the road happily eating my neighbours plants. :roll:
I walked my fences and fixed every possible gap she could have gotten through (no other cows ever got out I might add) We didn't have an electric fence at this time so I thought it was time I invested in one.
After a lot of effort and cussing I had it finished, lots of lovely voltage going right round the pasture, anyway, about 10 minutes after I had finished the said escape artist came wandering over to see what I had been doing.
I was stood right behind one of the water troughs as she came over had a big drink and put her nose right down to the wire, great I thought this will put a crimp in her escape activities ;-) So she stuck her nose on the wire and................Nothing! :( she just looked at me. Son of a ......... I thought, I can't have a short already, I only checked it 10 minutes ago.
So without thinking I grabbed the wire (bear in mind I had the fence tester in my pocket!) and you've guest it WHAM!!!! :shock: one dead arm.
As stopped jumping up and down I noticed the old cow was still there and looking at me,and I swear that she winked at me as if to say, "don't try and have a battle of wits with me sonny, you're unarmed" :lol: and the she sauntered off to her buddies. The old girl is dead now but I still remember her getting the best of me that day. She never got out again though. ;-)

OK guys, I can't help but laugh out loud! I was trying so hard to be quiet but I can't!!!!! This is great, I can just envision each story! So here's mine.........I try very hard to stay away from electric fences, but we were trying to get one up and running and I guess the ground wasn't quite right cause it wasn't working. The sun was going down and was shining brightly on the side of the house with the charger so I couldn't tell if the little light was on or off. I cupped my hands up to the charger to try and shade the light and BAMMM - I though lightening had struck my head! I saw a brilliant white light just as someone hit me in the head with a hammer and I fell backwards from my feet. I thought it was heaven, then I woke up with 'birdies' flying all around. This is why I staw away from electric fences.

Found the problem with the fence that I was having in my original post. It's now reading 8.5. Forgot to mention it to a guy that I had working for me part time. He said that he was in the market for a new arm. He touched it with a metal chain when he was shutting the gate. OUCH!!!

carla":394y7uf2 said:
Found the problem with the fence that I was having in my original post. It's now reading 8.5. Forgot to mention it to a guy that I had working for me part time. He said that he was in the market for a new arm. He touched it with a metal chain when he was shutting the gate. OUCH!!!

So what was the problem and how did you find it??
your curious friend
Mike

The wire had slipped off a t-post and was grounded out. Also I added 3 more ground rods. Had a baby calf slip under it and when mama tried to get to him, she decided real quickly that she didn't want to when she touched it with her nose. I heard it arc several feet away.

With a good ground system even those dead shorts to a metal post will usually only lower the voltage to 3kv range. If 3kv won't stop them, 7kv won;t do much either most times.

dun

Latest posts