gallagher 800 fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
Bought a new gallagher 800 fence charger yesterday and its only reading at 3.6. My ground system was set up already when I bought the place. It's 3 ground rods set thru a concrete pad. Could it be that the ground is too dry under this concrete pad. This concrete pad is probably 80 ft by 12 ft connected to the barn for bulk bins etc. to set on. I have walked the fence 3 times already. Thanks for any info!!!!

Hoe far from the charger are you taking your readings? Too close will give you low readings. The problem with the existing roundrods is you don;t really know how long they are.You may have a hidden ground on the fence somewhere. Hard to find without a lot of gates or a tester that shows the drection of the problem. We use an 800 and power a coouple ofmiles of fence at one time or another. Some is poly, some 17 gauge solid most 12 1/2 gauge solid. We use 6 gound rods and read around 7k anywhere along the fence.

dun

Sounds like a ground problem.

I use a 3 wire system. Bottom and top wires are hot. Middle wire is ground and tied to each steel tpost. In essence each post is then a ground rod. I get 7+ on all readings all the way around this fence.

The charger can easily hold 3.6 even with a snapping short to a rusty post if the short is far enough from the charger.

jkwilson":3tt5ueg0 said:
The charger can easily hold 3.6 even with a snapping short to a rusty post if the short is far enough from the charger.

The problem I've had was those shorts that didn't snap. Cheap (previous owner) insulators breaking down and lloqing the joise to drain through. That's where the directional problem finding testers come in so handy

dun

dun":ggzx2duw said:
The problem I've had was those shorts that didn't snap.

I found one of those 6 or 7 years ago during a flood on rented pasture. Low part was under 6 or 8 inches of water, and the cows were a little nervous. I was making my third walk around the fence, standing in water with rubber boots on, when I saw a piece of woven wire fence laying on the hot wire. As I went to bend it the other way, the hot wire raised up and touched my wrist :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
. Being as I had a piece of grounded wire in my hand at the time it touched me, AND I was standing in water, there was no need to get the fence tester out to check the fence.

sidney411":3vbej52i said:
There may not have been a need for a tester but I'm sure there was a need for clean shorts :lol:

I've had people tell me stories about getting shocked by an electric fence, and they always use words like"sting" and "tingle". I tell them they've never been shocked by a real fence. I was opening the lid on a creep feeder for a feed truck driver once, touched the fence with my thighs, and I was sure the lid had fallen on me! No stings or tingles there!

jkwilson":vbp8flzg said:
sidney411":vbp8flzg said:
There may not have been a need for a tester but I'm sure there was a need for clean shorts :lol:

I've had people tell me stories about getting shocked by an electric fence, and they always use words like"sting" and "tingle". I tell them they've never been shocked by a real fence. I was opening the lid on a creep feeder for a feed truck driver once, touched the fence with my thighs, and I was sure the lid had fallen on me! No stings or tingles there!

If you duck under and it hits you on the back it's like getting wacked by a 2x4

dun

I have a smaller Gallangher at the home place. It makes me job back and wish I hadn't hit it. But I end up hitting it a couple of times every year. My neighbor has a 1500 Gallangher. I hit it one time. It was a religious experence. I was cutting through their barnyard and didn't see the end of the wire. I was right beside the manure pump which is 220 volts and I was sure that there was a short on the 220. I make darn sure I don't ever touch that fence again.
Dave

ok, this I am afraid has nothing to do with the original post or question but I have tell it cause it reminded me of a child hood memory...................

As a teenager I was up for practical jokes anytime, but especially on mischief night.

We had several homes that backed up to our dairy farm.Our plan was to move the firewood from the back of one neighbors home to the next door neighbor who in fact did not have a fireplace, just see to hear what would happen. A bit corny, and some what innocent fun, but none the less, in our minds funny at the time.

In order to do this we had to climb under a waist high electric fence, and of course my luck as it always has been, I got my wrist watch stuck in this fence unable to get it out, I stood there taking this shock every milisecond or two, As I began to scream, and lights came on all around the neighboring houses, my companions in crime ( my brothers) deserted me.

Here's the thing, my watch wasn't coming off, I no longer had the capacity to think :roll: , and the people from these houses that flooded out to see what all the bloody wailing was about were not about to touch me or the fence to help me, and of course my brothers in their rush to get into the house in order to plead deniability, did not think to unplug the charger on the way through the barns :roll: .

I was unable to pull the wire away, as dad always believed in buying the best that money could get when it came to fencing, and I swear it felt like i was plugged into the wall outlet, and tugging against an aircraft cable at least an inch thick!
Finally after several hours, or was it days? or perhaps just a few minutes some one was knocking the posts down and getting the wire to short out as best they could. Long enuff for me to get some of that 'heat' off of my arm and down to a bearable tingle, and untangle the watch from the wire. I wasn' sure wich was worse , the embaressment of being caught or what was to come in the next few hours.

I swear for hours afterwards it felt like some one either had hit my arm and shoulder with a 2x4 as hard as they could :cry: , or worse yet was trying to pull my arm off at the shoulder.
After my parents made me swap all the wood back to where it belonged and add at least twice that much to the existing pile, I would never go out into the pasture with a watch on..............just in case. Until just a few years ago at a family reunion , did I keep the secret that I had confederates with me that evening, and of course it was told to laughter and mirth, especially to my brother's sons and daughters who would have never, ever expected their respective fathers to have been so devilish in their youth. :lol:

Dave":3hwjz5i1 said:
I have a smaller Gallangher at the home place. It makes me job back and wish I hadn't hit it. But I end up hitting it a couple of times every year. My neighbor has a 1500 Gallangher. I hit it one time. It was a religious experence. I was cutting through their barnyard and didn't see the end of the wire. I was right beside the manure pump which is 220 volts and I was sure that there was a short on the 220. I make darn sure I don't ever touch that fence again.
Dave

Yeh those Gallagher 1500 pack a wollop...Just ask my feed salesman
I think he filled his drawers that day. :lol:

Laughed when I read the "sting" and "tingle" descriptives from the post above as it brought back the last time I "involuntarily tested" our electric fencer.

I bought a Hallman battery powered light sensitve (really cool) electric fencer to deal with a bull that wouldn't stay put a couple years back from the local Co-op store.

Honey and I rigged up a temporary fence with it later in the fall to stretch our feed by fall grazing a quarter section of hayfield (we ended up putting a four wire fence there after this "brain fart" of an experience).

Trouble was that there was a moose that kept barrelling through the poly/wire combo. Every morning we'd be out repairing the line and wishing the frost hadn't set so hard that we couldn't erect a proper fence.

Well, one lovely morning I took the truck down with Honey to do our daily fence repair. I dropped him off at one end, drove to the middle to disconnect the battery, and with drove to the other end of the line... Brilliant idea was that I'd work my way back to the middle and meet Honey there.

About halfway along the line I was lifting the wire when WHAM!!!!! Right hand and arm were numb and I was cussing a bloody blue streak!

Apparantly Honey had beat me back to the battery, and seeing that I wasn't there somehow figured that I must've been done repairing my end. Being the conscientous fellow that he is, went right ahead and re-connected the cables to the battery.

All I can say is that if it feels that way to my hand, can't imagine the sensation on a cow's sensitive snout. Yowza! Sure did break that bull of his wandering ways though. Must have really carried a jolt when conducted through a brass nose ring.

Take care.

It should be showing in your cattletoady inbox at the top of the screen

Well Iwas hot and sweaty under a August Texas sun, paying no attention I made the mistake of peeing in the wrong place, and thougt I had been shot with a gun......True story....lol

Poor guy!! Sure hope you didn't cook yourself too badly...Yowch!

I'll never forget seeing one of my uncle's blue heeler's reaction when he marked his territory on a hot wire, and I was only knee-high to a grasshopper then.

Unfortunately, you have the distinction of being the first person I've ever heard of to share that dog's mistake of erroneous aim.

Take care.

houstoncutter":2n0mye96 said:
Well Iwas hot and sweaty under a August Texas sun, paying no attention I made the mistake of peeing in the wrong place, and thougt I had been shot with a gun......True story....lol

I'll bet you did. :lol: :lol: Thanks for the story. I needed a good laugh tonight. :lol: :lol: