g.m. tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
anyone have any experiences with the refurbished gray market Japanese imports? I've heard pros and cons, but not from anyone who has actually owned one.

Wasn't there a lawsuit on GM making them illegal. I know there were a couple tractor auctions in my neck of the woods selling GM tractors from Europe and Japan. They disappeared overnight.

maybe grey market is the outdated label. I have just noticed a number of these "refurbished" tractor dealerships on craigslist. maybe it's because I've just started shopping. just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with one(or if anyone is brave enough to admit it.)

A "Grey market tractor" is a tractor imported into this country that was never ment to be sold in the USA. So they aren't always built to the US specs for things like PTO size, PTO rotation, etc. Parts can also be a big issue because the parts were never ment to be imported and aren't stocked in this country, so your parts if they are available need to come from India or wherever.

Never heard or seen a refurbished grey market tractor.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
I've seen some grey market Kubota tractors that have the PTO spinning the opposite direction...

Do some tractors in parts of the world have their pto spin anti clock? Because my thinking is if they don't it would be a lot of work to actually spin it the other way.

I've seen gray tractors, but dismissed them. This thread made me read up on them a little. Seems Yanmar tractors have plenty of parts available for the gray tractors. Not sure about other manufacturers. I have kinda wanted a small Yanmar for a while. Primary reason why, is because the gentleman that works on my tractors, is very fond of them. Handiest thing on my place, is my little red belly. I'd like the features of a more modern tractor.

Save up a little longer and get a regular market tractor, you will be better off.

In other parts of the world the PTO on some tractors are indeed reverse rotation some different RPMs. In fact some of the manufacturers like Kubota and Yanmar have published warnings about the PTO rotation and speed of import grey market tractors as a warning to US and European markets.

I scraped a grey market yanmar few years back with some torn up gears in the trans. No dealer was able to get parts, and when I finally tracked down parts from across the ocean the cost was outrageous and was a majority of the way to the price of another machine. It sat around broke waiting for parts for 2 years before the owner told me to go ahead and scrap it

Bigfoot said:
I've seen gray tractors, but dismissed them. This thread made me read up on them a little. Seems Yanmar tractors have plenty of parts available for the gray tractors. Not sure about other manufacturers. I have kinda wanted a small Yanmar for a while. Primary reason why, is because the gentleman that works on my tractors, is very fond of them. Handiest thing on my place, is my little red belly. I'd like the features of a more modern tractor.

Move on up to one of the blue belly tractors. 3 cylinder diesel. They will do much more than the grey market. I like the 4100, 4610su and my favorite at the moment is a 4630. Find one with the planetary brakes and independent PTO.

Bigfoot said:

A little tractor is kinda like pockets on a shirt, nice to have.
There are times smaller is better.

I canned that idea. I spent more money and bought an LS MT345 with a front end loader. thanks for all the input

Tractors---40-99-HP-LS-MT345E-12345148.jpg

Stocker Steve said:
That kind are not so common here. Most have a skid steer, some have two skid steers.
What is more common in the south?
We have a local LS dealer here as it is one of the three Korean tractors imported, LS, Branson and Kyoti. A few Kyoti s around sold, but not enough of the others to know much yet.

Latest posts