Fw: North Dakota News

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:
George Bush did not come....
FEMA did nothing....
No one howled for the government...
No one blamed the government
No one even uttered an expletive on TV...
Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit
Our Mayors did not blame Bush or anyone ! else
Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else either
CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snow storm
Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....
No one looted...
Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something
Nobody expected the government to do anything either
No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and
No Geraldo Rivera, No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.
Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars
The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny
Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snow bound families
Families took in the stranded people - total strangers
We fired up wood stoves
Broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns
We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die"
We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early...we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.
"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% most of the world's social problems evaporate."
It does seem that way, at least to me.. I hope this gets passed on..
Maybe,, SOME people will get the message,, The world does not owe you a living....

That is just a bit insensitive. What happened with the hurricanes was horrible. They needed help. What happend in North Dakota was terrible but those people where not in such a dire situation as Louisiana and Mississippi.

yes I agree with you people did need help in Louisiana and Missisippi, but not big TV's, Nike shoes and the like, I was in the Asian tsunami on a beach in Sri Lanka when the wall of water hit, my Husband is lucky to be alive, noone that was left took things that was not needed, we lived on the mountains for three days with a Sri Lanken family, and had no aid for 2 days, yes we picked up bottled water from bars and hotels but that was so we could live, but everything else was left on the shelves. the Sri Lankens, had nothing but gave everything, and took nothing that was not theirs. a very proud society. as know most Americans are, it only takes a few to let people down.
Good luck to you all in the snow drifts, I hope you are all safe and well and well done for getting on with it yourselves, I admire you.

AngusSenorita":2hoyxnuq said:
That is just a bit insensitive. What happened with the hurricanes was horrible. They needed help. What happend in North Dakota was terrible but those people where not in such a dire situation as Louisiana and Mississippi.
how do you figure that they were not in such a dire situation?

I've been in a blizzard w/o power - it isn't pretty - and trees falling do fall on houses
and remember that instead of water killing people - they were presented with dying from the cold - some of those people were without power for weeks

now I understand that the people in Louisiana and Mississippi and some in Texas were and still are needing help - but I also see a number of people that have spent the last 6 months doing nothing to improve their situation - perhaps it is time for some of the people to start "pulling up their boot straps"
Chrissy - this happened a while ago - I just got this email

mdmdogs3":sxhy9ofi said:
AngusSenorita":sxhy9ofi said:

I've been in a blizzard w/o power - it isn't pretty - and trees falling do fall on houses
and remember that instead of water killing people - they were presented with dying from the cold - some of those people were without power for weeks

now I understand that the people in Louisiana and Mississippi and some in Texas were and still are needing help - but I also see a number of people that have spent the last 6 months doing nothing to improve their situation - perhaps it is time for some of the people to start "pulling up their boot straps"

while people are being given hand outs for doing nothing they will do exactly that.
I have been stranded in a snow storm not that bad, but still was not able to get home, and it is perishing cold waiting for help to come. even though it was a while ago they are still to be admired.

I've been had ... :(

but I still believe the people that sat in hotel rooms for 6 months doing nothing have now got some responsibility for their current predicament

chrisy":159msk0b said:
mdmdogs3":159msk0b said:
AngusSenorita":159msk0b said:

while people are being given hand outs for doing nothing they will do exactly that.
I have been stranded in a snow storm not that bad, but still was not able to get home, and it is perishing cold waiting for help to come. even though it was a while ago they are still to be admired.

Not to down grade your comments chrisy - but until you have been in a storm such as the one discussed - no power - no heat and cold far below what you would ever experience in the UK - well it is different. Certainly a snow of two inches in Nottinghamshire can completely strand the entire populace.

Being stranded in a storm in the UK and country of approx 58 million and a territory smaller than southern Ontario - well it is far different than being 100 miles from the nearest help with no power, water, emergency services, heat and snow over the eaves of the house.

It is rare to see temperatures - even wind chills drop far below zero in your part of the world - yes it does - but not often. However to see a sustained temperature of minus 30 - minus 40 plus some windchill - is not unusual in areas discussed.

The fact is there is a definite independence in the northern U.S. folk that you will never see in the ceratin areas of the south.

There are many in certain parts of the south that are quite happy to sleep in the heat and take the dole. Can't do this in the north - the weather would kill you and food is tough to find when it is frozen and covered in snow.

Bez!

one thing I agree with you, the south did sit on thier tails for quite awhile. All I'm saying is that the hurricane ruined everything. But, I've never seen a snow storm before(I rarly see snow living in Texas)

Bez..no I have not been in temeratures of minus 30 and 40, but I have been in minus 20 and stranded in a field about 15 miles from anything living that could help for about an hour and that was bad enough, in a car that was stranded. I do feel for these people who have this each year no matter what country it is.

I also know what it is to run scared for your life, with a wall of water coming at you at about 600miles an hour and taller than a two story house, and to watch your Husband whirling around in the water as in a washing machine and not knowing if you will see him alive again, and fearing for your Son and Daughters life as well as your own, and then to be left in all you stand up in and be 6000 miles from home with no money, food shelter, or any help from the people who matter, to get you home for days, living on a mountain side with a family you don't know, and not knowing what might become of anything, not knowing if the earthquake will happen again, will the water come back, no radio no TV no press nothing at all. no mobile phones no electricity, as that does not exist in the jungle, no fresh water, only water from a contaminated well and a river not knowing what was in that. so yes I know what it is like to suffer a catastrophe. and the people we shared this with had nothing to start with and still have nothing but they do not complain they get on with it and build up their lives with the little that they get.

I live in Wisconsin and I have had the opportunity to be without power for a couple of days in -20 degree weather. There is no warning that comes .... and when its here, it may last for days to weeks on end. We try not to whine,

I feel bad for the southern states hit by Katrina, and I donated towards their cause. But now I see they want to rebuild in the same area that is below sea level. It seems they don't want to take a hint from Mother Nature.......

chrisy":2du3p32k said:
Bez..no I have not been in temeratures of minus 30 and 40, but I have been in minus 20 and stranded in a field about 15 miles from anything living that could help for about an hour and that was bad enough, in a car that was stranded. I do feel for these people who have this each year no matter what country it is.

I also know what it is to run scared for your life, with a wall of water coming at you at about 600miles an hour and taller than a two story house, and to watch your Husband whirling around in the water as in a washing machine and not knowing if you will see him alive again, and fearing for your Son and Daughters life as well as your own, and then to be left in all you stand up in and be 6000 miles from home with no money, food shelter, or any help from the people who matter, to get you home for days, living on a mountain side with a family you don't know, and not knowing what might become of anything, not knowing if the earthquake will happen again, will the water come back, no radio no TV no press nothing at all. no mobile phones no electricity, as that does not exist in the jungle, no fresh water, only water from a contaminated well and a river not knowing what was in that. so yes I know what it is like to suffer a catastrophe. and the people we shared this with had nothing to start with and still have nothing but they do not complain they get on with it and build up their lives with the little that they get.

Very nice. Sigh .....

You missed my point - out of this one.

Bez!

I live in good old ND and I am ashamed to read this comparison to the hurricanes, while this was a bad storm with a fair amount of snow the worst part was the ice that came down and clung to power lines and trees and such which of course brought many poles and trees down. It was a mess but it was not very cold at the time 15 degrees and up so was in no way as tragic or dangerous as a huricane category 5. I am a life long res. here and I know this story was not written by an intelligent Nort Dakotan. There have been many, many far more destructive and deadly blizzards here that still don't come close to what the people in huricane country have gone through> I apologize to the residents of the Rita/Katrina areas for this story that tries to minimize there troubles and if I knew who wrote this garbage I would slap 'em silly for yA. By the way I have never been near a huricane but weathered many a blizzard and from what I've seen on TV, I'll take the blizzards

The ones who are doing nothing now are most likely the ones who were doing nothing before the storm. Let's not trivialize this disaster because of the actions (or should I say inactions) of a few.

You have to take what the press shows you with a grain of salt (or two).

Latest posts