funeral plans and what ever

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":2qid1pw3 said:
how many acres would it take to bury every one in a 4 x 6 grave if each of us elected to be buried in a traditional way. Some one figure this out my calculator will not figure that big.

Don't know if this is nationwide, but Black Hills National Cemetary family plots are up to 3 deep now.

sim.-ang.king":i1dbkiqt said:
I'm going to be turned in to some organic mulch, and sold to some hippie vegans. It's the least I could do.
Sim you will probably grow some fine dope! :nod: :cowboy:

I comitted my newphews asshes to the deep and a few years later my brthers were comitted in the same place. Mine will be to if possible, if not they'll be scattered on a lake or river.

I used to say that I wanted my ashes mixed into the cattle mineral...but now that I only have three cows I don't want to poison them....If we still own the place when I am gone I would like my ashes scattered over my dogs graves.....

around here the law is that you cannot be buried on your own property unless there is a designated cemetary....of course to get that designation you get to give the government large sums of money....

branguscowgirl":350me6fm said:
sim.-ang.king":350me6fm said:
I'm going to be turned in to some organic mulch, and sold to some hippie vegans. It's the least I could do.
Sim you will probably grow some fine dope! :nod: :cowboy:
They don't grow dope in mulch around here. They grow flowers in pots, and pot in the corn fields. :lol:

greybeard":24z0lq5t said:
Cremation: Shop it like you would a new car or tractor. Prices can run from $500 to several thousand $.

Excellent advice GB.

My Dad's cremation was in the neighborhood of $1,300.00. Included pick-up, take to crematory and 1 room, 1 evening at funeral home.

The real kicker.........after pouring Dad's ashes into the ground, the funeral people wanted the red velvet bag back! :shock: (Dad's ashes were in a plastic bag, inside the velvet bag).

Katherine

When my father died in 2002 we had the funeral home that the family normally used pick his body up. Me and my siblings went to the funeral home to make arrangements. We picked the casket and I went in to make the deal. The director quoted $5000. I looked at him and said $3500 is the top dollar if you can not meet it then let me shop around. He looked across his desk and said I will do it for that. My father was one that also tried to get the best bargain. I know that he would be proud of me.

My mothers head stone is one of those set into the ground. The guy on the riding lawn mower goes right over the top. When I go there I have to clean up grass clippings off the head stone. I have told the kids I want a head stone that sticks up in the air. The guy on the lawn mower is going to have to go around. I have been getting in peoples way all my life. Why stop just because I am dead?

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

"When I die buddy throw my body in the back, take me to the junkyard in my cadialac"

John SD":yx0m625m said:
I have my funeral pre-planned and pre-paid at the local mom and pop funeral home. http://www.kinkadefunerals.com Some basic info on products and services at the funeral home site.

Getting my funeral paid for was my 2012 Christmas present to myself. :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol: The total of services and merchandise including gratuities to the officant and organist came to a shade over $8K. The money is then deposited in a CD at the local bank.

This price is NOT guaranteed to keep up with inflation, so there could be a small additional charge, and not likely but could be a small refund when my time comes.

The price includes basic services, a fiberglass lined concrete vault, medium priced casket, and headstone.

The headstone was installed shortly after purchase so it is there and waiting for me. Engraving of the date I croak is included in the price. So the stone IS locked in at the 2012 price.

I encourage everyone to have a plan in place to ease the burden on your family WHEN the time comes. Having the whole shebang already paid for is a bonus.

Dang John, you're gonna spoil yourself :lol2: :lol2:

Larry

I refuse to let the funeral home make money from my death. No burial, no casket, no service there either.
I thought about the Body Farm in Tennessee. I want them to just lean me up against a tree and let the buzzards pick my bones clean. Invite the possums too.
Absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

hurleyjd":164rmif3 said:
When my father died in 2002 we had the funeral home that the family normally used pick his body up. Me and my siblings went to the funeral home to make arrangements. We picked the casket and I went in to make the deal. The director quoted $5000. I looked at him and said $3500 is the top dollar if you can not meet it then let me shop around. He looked across his desk and said I will do it for that. My father was one that also tried to get the best bargain. I know that he would be proud of me.

Mom and Dad died 31 days apart in 2002 ran me 12 K for both and it was basic nothing fancy.
They were not fancy people what ate me up was transportation.
Moving them back to be buried in the old family cemetery cost almost as much as the funerals.

Chuckie":1l67a36t said:
I refuse to let the funeral home make money from my death. No burial, no casket, no service there either.
I thought about the Body Farm in Tennessee. I want them to just lean me up against a tree and let the buzzards pick my bones clean. Invite the possums too.
"Prop me up by the jukebox when I die".

Chuckie":e27murw5 said:

I am pretty sure I am going to be cremated but I really like Chuckie's idea

My wife's cousin recently died. The body was cremated and today the ashes were buried in the cemetery between his parents graves in one of those black plastic pipes like you see advertised for burying gold or silver. It was private just for the family and closest neighbors.
His brother in law read scripture and lead in a prayer. A single saxophone player played one song. His nephew shoveled in dirt to fill the "grave". There was one spray of flowers. It lasted maybe a little over 20 minutes.
It was one of the simplest yet most impressive burials I have ever attended.

Next, as he had previously requested, a get together was held for all his cronies at the local bar room. Several foods were available.
I had never attended such an event at a bar before and had my doubts. But it turned out to be a very congenial gathering. All kinds attended. Lawyer, business men, CPA, professor, policeman, and mostly just run of the mill folks and a few bar flies.
Everybody got along well and had a good time of fellowship.

There were several employees working in the bar. The owner was moving as fast and working as hard as any of them. He is 88 and just a heck of a likable guy.

Latest posts