Fuel transfer tanks?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have always used a drum but wanting to get a 100 tank with 12 volt pump. I like the idea of a aluminum tank for no rust but they are pricey. How big of a issue is rust in the transfer tanks? I would use 150-200 gallons a year. Proably passed uo a good deal on a 100 gallon tank for $150 that I am kicking my self about. It was an hour away and pic looked ok but wondered what it was like inside.

Never had an issue with rust in steel tanks. Keep them topped off so there isn't room for condensation and no biggy.

My experience with aluminum tanks is they tend to fatigue and crack after some years and abuse in the truck. They are a bugger to weld up.

Ya same here. Most tanks are steel that I see.

I have one of the rectangular, box type 100g tanks from tractor supply with a pump, hose, etc all from there. It was very reasonable to rig out. I keep it on an old lowboy trailer with all my equipment tools and fluids.

I've debated buying one more and mounting them side by side. It's getting so hard to keep diesel in overhead tanks that I'm almost better off just driving and getting 200g at a time so it stays fresh.

I've got a 55 gallon that I didn't use for 3-4 years because I one another one on my pickup. When I sold the truck the guy wanted the tank so I let it go too. The 55 had maybe 10 gallons of old fuel in it and had been under a shed all that time. Had a little trouble getting it cleaned up because of the old fuel but surprisingly there was no rust at all. If you don't want to spend allot on a pump look at the "easy 8" by gpi pumps. It was about half price of the higher volume pumps and has held up good.

Lucky said:
I've got a 55 gallon that I didn't use for 3-4 years because I one another one on my pickup. When I sold the truck the guy wanted the tank so I let it go too. The 55 had maybe 10 gallons of old fuel in it and had been under a shed all that time. Had a little trouble getting it cleaned up because of the old fuel but surprisingly there was no rust at all. If you don't want to spend allot on a pump look at the "easy 8" by gpi pumps. It was about half price of the higher volume pumps and has held up good.

That was the pump I was going fo get. Rural King has them for $200. Trouble is by the time I buy a tank and filter I got $600 or more in it. Guess I should have bought the used tank.

$600 sounds about right. They are a little pricey but worth the money. The one I sold with the truck was a 35 gallon rectangle that fit right behind the cab, it didn't take much room. I'm looking at the Leeagra DT200 now but not sure I want to spend that much.

Used steel tanks are crapshoot as condensation lays in bottom and rusts bottom out. Tanks have an empty port on them for a reason. That is what happened to mine that I bought at auction. Micro pin holes just on the bottom. Cut out and welded in new 1/4" bottom. Plus sandblast and paint. Pump had to be rebuilt because fuel got past seals in motor.

I came out ok in the end because I bought the pump/tank combo on a small trailer and resold the trailer for what I paid for the whole combo. So I didn't have anything invested in the pump/tank when I started fixing it.

Lots of used ones on Craigslist. I can't see using steel when aluminum is an option.

I have 100 gal bolted to a 5 x 10 trailer. Also I have a truck tool box on the front of the trailer. In the box is a 12 volt battery and I have a small solar charger that I can take out of the box and lay on top of the trailer. When traveling the panel is in the box. In the box is the grease gun and extra oil to be used if the tractors need the oil.

cfpinz said:
Lots of used ones on Craigslist. I can't see using steel when aluminum is an option.
I have watched it for a while and yet to see a used aluminum. Rarely see decent steel tanks here and most want new price.

I always thought a saddle tank off a Peterbuilt would make a good fuel tank. Never could find one though. Gotta be a wrecking yard for big trucks somewhere.

I have a 100 gallon saddle tank with the saddles.. I did think of making it into a transfer tank.

Both aluminum and steel tanks have problems when they get old.. often the baffles will break in them, or the floors will wear out or fatigue... Welding the aluminum is definitely harder though and you'll pay quite a premium for it too

Latest posts