Frozen Hose

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Alright people, need some help here. I've got about 125' of hose I need to keep from freezing up, what are some suggestions?

Thanks
Arthur

No short/sweet fixes. Drain it every time you use it -- hang it over barn rafters or something every time, so it drains out both ends. Same issue at our place. They sell no-freeze hoses, but they are spendy.

I rigged a connection with a air hose fitting on one end and a quick disconnect garden hose fitting on the other end. On the other end of the hose I have one of those garden hose Y connections with the shut off valves. One side feeds the water tank, the other side is open. When I need to drain it I hook my air compressor to the hose and blow most of the water out of the hose into the tank. I then open the valve on the second side of the Y and what little water is left in the hose is blown out through that. I have used it 2 years now and have not had the hose freeze yet. It does get some ice junks in it but does not freeze solid anywhere. When I hook the air compressor to the hose I have the compressor off and empty. After making the connection, I start the compressor. I "think" that the slow build up of pressure helps to keep the air from pushing through the water as much.

we do the samething as gunner.we rigged up a fitting that fitts our water hose of a few hundred feet and blow it out at nite.that way the hoeses dont freeze and we can water cattle the next day.

M5farm":1x5gjykn said:
put it to dripping a stream about the size of a straw and it should not freeze. thats what we do here

I'm a west sider! (Oregon west side :lol: ), so we have all up and down, more up than down. For me it's simple make sure the hose is straight and going downhill, open both ends and done. If your a flat lander, M5 has it the way I would do it.

Ugh. We had to drain a hose all last winter when a hydrant failed. The forced air deal sounds smart but our air compressor lives a long way away from the water hose. The hose draining routine is easier with 2 people, if someone can shut off the water and unhook the hose, then the other person walks up the length of it and drains it. Saves a trip from the tank to the spigot and back. It sure gets old in a hurry.

Bestoutwest":yxnsdolm said:
Alright people, need some help here. I've got about 125' of hose I need to keep from freezing up, what are some suggestions?

Thanks
Arthur

Double drain it after each use. I ran mine over my shoulder(walking slowly) while it was still laid out for the first drain, then drained again while rolling it on the ground. Worked pretty good, and I rarely had frozen hoses. Thanks to a broken water line last summer, I no longer have to deal with 3 or 4 hoses strung together to water. :banana: :banana:

Sounds goofy but I use as seen on tv pocket hose's , you can fit a hundred feet in a 5gallon bkt it winds itself up and I drain it as I put it in the bucket then put the bkt next to the woodstove. :cowboy: :clap:

You could bury a 5 gallon bucket, or Rubbermaid tote, with the lid flush with the ground, maybe insulate the bottom of the lid with some foam board, and store it there when not in use. as long as it's below the frost line it shouldn't freeze.

I have to vote for the pocket hose to. Last night it wAs eight below. Because of the elasticity the 50' hose expanded in less than a minute and allowed water passed the ice frozen in the line. Guess what. It's still out there froze up and I bet I can water my horse in the morning without a problem. It's really slick. Mel

gonzo":ka4ul5i2 said:
Sounds goofy but I use as seen on tv pocket hose's , you can fit a hundred feet in a 5gallon bkt it winds itself up and I drain it as I put it in the bucket then put the bkt next to the woodstove. :cowboy: :clap:

THAT is the tip of the day! Fighting frozen hoses this week myself. :clap: :cboy:

pocket hoeses are good but try dealing with 500ft of hosesif you could a gas powered compressure would be the way to go.

They only have a 1/2 inch diameter so it dose'nt fill as fast, but you can feed it into a bucket 100 feet per minute. I'm sold on them for the winter I'm inside warm'n up or doin something else while it fills :cboy:

kucala5":2rbjdxoj said:
gonzo":2rbjdxoj said:

THAT is the tip of the day! Fighting frozen hoses this week myself. :clap: :cboy:

Given the widespread freezing temps I wanted to bring this thread back to the forefront. Just came in from watering with my pocket hose.

kucala5":3o6fzgdd said:
kucala5":3o6fzgdd said:
gonzo":3o6fzgdd said:

Given the widespread freezing temps I wanted to bring this thread back to the forefront. Just came in from watering with my pocket hose.
I bought 2 of those before the cold hit. As far as I'm concerned they've more then paid for themsleves.

Bigfoot":29swhgms said:
I figured they were a gimmick. Might have to get one now.
One of them during the unfreezing days I leave hooked up with the hydraunt on and connected to the valve in the tank. Surprised but it's still holding up great.

Latest posts