Frozen Cow Waterers

Help Support CattleToday:

32Paws

Reaction score
My Waterers have frozen and the balls are stuck what can I do? The cows cannot get any water

If there is electricity close enough. Tarp them off and put a salamander/torpedo heater under the tarp. If not Propane Heater. Or just get a little LP bottle torch like you use to soder pipes and thaw them. B&G

Could u boil some water and pour on them ? If there close enough to the house that the water doesn't cool down before u get there.

Just pouring hot water on the balls should free them up. Then adjust the water height so there is about a 1/4 inch clearence around the ball to the edge.

32Paws":3qzz0k6w said:
My Waterers have frozen and the balls are stuck what can I do? The cows cannot get any water
Where are you? Didn't they freeze last winter?
Mine are wired with a heater and would only need the heating element replaced, aren't yours?
If yours don't have a cover on the top that can be opened to pour hot water in under the ball, then place a towel over the ball and pour hot water on the towel. The towel will concentrate the heat of the water and thaw it faster than just pouring hot water on the ball which just runs off it. Use a screwdriver to scape any ice away and standing on the ball can speed up the process.
I have even used the skid steer bucket without ever damaging a ball, they're tough, but your success with it may vary.
Otherwise:
Submersible stock tank heaters safe for poly tanks cost about $40 and you could use a stock tank and garden hose in a pinch
till it warms up, if you have an extension cord that's long enough.

Ours freeze at times as well. It's not that the water is too high, it's that when the bulls push the balls down, the water sloshes up around the rim when the ball pushes back up and then the balls freeze to the tank itself.

Perhaps put some grease/vaseline on them and on the mating surfaces.. it will help prevent them from freezing solid next time. I use it on the door seals of my truck and it works really nicely

Latest posts