A Cowboy’s Faith: Frozen Ponds Are Dangerous

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
A Cowboy's Faith: Frozen Ponds Are Dangerous
http://www.osagecountyonline.com/archives/7173

When I read this story it reminded me of when I had a cow go through the ice about 150 ft from shore some years ago.
In a panic I didn't know what to do, so I call my neighbor who said calm down, how deep is the pond?
I told him about 5 feet in the middle.
He said OK get your tractor and all the log chain you got and I will be right there.
He brought his tractor and some log chain.
We chained the two tractors together back to back and he proceeded to use his tractor's bucket as an ice breaker to reach the cow.
When he reached the cow he put his bucket straight up and down in the water and said pull me out as fast as you can.
When I pulled him out he created a wake that pushed almost all the ice he had broken up going in, either under or over the ice on both sides of him clearing a path for the cow to walk out.
Which she did.

Some times it just takes someone with more experience then you have to solve a problem.
Liz

We lost 11 head in a dugout a few years ago. It happens, and it hurts. Sometimes you have no other options than to water cattle on a dugout in the winter. It happened at the end of January, which was an unusual time, as we thought the dugout should have been more than safe enough.

lost 11 myself, a few years ago, they had went clear out in the center of a deep pond. when I went out to check them en them in late afternoon, I wondered what the black things were in the pond.

Latest posts