From vet - LA200 injections for retained placenta?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
1,057
Reaction score
2
My one cow calved Friday afternoon - still has placenta hanging. I've read past threads and other info sources saying you can just leave it. But called vet today and my wife picked up Lutalyse and LA200 from them. Said to give Lutalyse first before she gets riled up from the LA200 which stings really bad. I'm supposed to give 5cc LA200 per hundredweight, and she might be 800+ pounds (small cow -Jersey/Lowline).

Anyway, so I have to give at least 40cc and can't give over 10cc in a spot, so 4 injections of something that's going to hurt bad. This is my milk cow and I don't really want to traumatize her. If she's eating okay, does she need antibiotics?
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
7
Location
Alberta, Canada
I have never ever given less than 20 cc's per injection site and no problems. They also never knot up either. Also she is a dairy cow so you can give it in the @ss, anywhere IM if you want.

Yes give her the pen ,just to help with the rotted placenta that is in her and the impending infection.
 

Workinonit Farm

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
7,153
Reaction score
1
Location
Ctrl Virginia
If that is what your vet said to do then do it.

May not be necessary to say it, but I feel compelled to do so anyhow.....before using any of her milk, be sure to note withdrawal time from the meds.

Katherine
 

milkmaid

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
Give the Lute, skip the LA200 for now. If they gave you an entire bottle of Lute, then give it every 12 hours for 3 milkings. Take her temp each milking, if it goes over 102.5'F give the LA200. Otherwise the antibiotic isn't necessary - and FWIW, I don't like LA200 for uterine infections anyway unless it's infused. Just don't think it works as well as penicillin.
 
OP
D

djinwa

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
1,057
Reaction score
2
Thanks for the replies. Milkmaid, I think I'll wait on the LA200 as you said - I read others saying to base it on temperature. I gave the Lute - they only gave us one shot. She took it pretty well. Guess I was concerned after my experience the day after calving. I was reading that retained placentas can be related to selenium deficiency. So I gave her a shot of some stuff I had, and she went crazy as soon as the needle hit. I guess a few more days after calving makes quite a difference today in her attitude.

We are quite selenium deficient around here, which is why I've been trying to sneak as much mineral in her as I can, but the vet said it isn't enough. I've been giving the calves a shot, but vet says I need to give the cow a shot a couple weeks pre-calving with MuSe. Seems odd to be shot-dependent - wonder how they used to raise cattle around here?

Anyway, guess I need to get used to the placenta - one source said one can gently remove 7 to 10 days post-calving, so apparently they can hang around awhile.
 

Latest posts

Top