From Drovers alert

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I wish Simmenthal was on-board with this!

Breed associations create new registry

The Gelbvieh, Brangus, Limousin, Salers and Red Angus associations have created a new company to help commercial producers. The Performance Registry Services, the working name for the new company, will provide commercial producers with National Cattle Evaluations delivering a single suite of EPDs for all the partner breeds on a single base and scale. The idea is to make crossbreeding easier and more objective. This joint venture of breed associations will provide Total Herd Reporting and data processing for their members, while allowing for individual breeds to maintain their own identity. Along with the multi-breed EPDs will be decision-support software and search engines and a centralized data warehouse for commercial producers to use these tools. For more information, contact any of the company's partners or Bob Hough, acting chair of education and marketing.

I'm not surprised to see the Gelbvieh, Limmy, and Red Angus groups involved with this. They all have innovative and commercially oriented leadership.

I think it is a real shot in the arm for Brangus, especially since they are the only Brahma influenced breed involved at the moment. I haven't seen much new or innovative out of the Saler group in a while so I'm a little surpised that they got on board. Also, I think that the Saler association is doing the registration processing for the South Devon breed and possibly doing some joint work...suprised that the S. Devons aren't on board if the Salers are.

No surprise that the black Angus and Hereford groups aren't involved. I get the impression that the Angus boys think they are all things to all cattle producers and don't need to affiliate themselves with anyone else. The Herefords seem to be doing some innovative things, but I also think that they have a little bit of a pride issue that makes it difficult for them to partner with other breeds.

Not too surprised that the Chi's and Maines aren't on board. They still seem to be too focused on the club calf deal, though they keep making noise that they are commercially focused.

Surprised that the Simmy's and Braunviehs aren't on the list.

I think it would have been better to have combined all the breeds mentioned under one management umbrella. I guess that the respective breed associations aren't that cooperative yet. If it means more work it probably also means more money for registrations, transfers, etc. I also think it will be interesting how the respective breeds fair in respect to the adjustments for carcass data. It may really help or hurt some breeds. It'll be fun to watch. One management group handling all the data for every breed (for profit) would suit me fine. It'll never happen though.

Latest posts