If you were starting a new herd from scratch..

Help Support CattleToday:

No clue but I had a few pure Brahama 30 years ago and they done fine. Had a couple beefmaster also and they done great.
I haven't had any first hand experience with pure Brahmans, but over the years there have been a few around the area. I have had some Santa Gertrudis and a Beefmaster and they did fine here in east central KY.

If you can find the research the problem with ear or tropical cattle in cold environments was not less survival. The problem was the huge amount of difference of energy they need to maintain themselves in the cold. Even in the feedlots the ear influence increased intake and decreased gain during the winter.

Braford, Brangus, Gerts, Beefmaster cows would all do well bred to a homozygous for polled and black bull. in your area. The 3/8ths Brahma breeds, I'd use a Brangus, or maybe an Ultrablack bull. If you bought F1 Brahma crosses, or Beefmasters, then might use an Angus or Chi- Angus bull. 50 cows on 120 acres, you should do well. IF you have marginal grazing, and don;t want to spend a lot on fertilizer, weed control, etc., and IF you don;t want to, or are not able to, be with them a lot especially during calving, don;t discard the idea of the Corriente cows and black bulls. You can buy 150 of them for what 50 of the other cows would costs, and they'd eat about the same amount. Plus, there would be zero calving or other health problems.

Latest posts