Free Time

Help Support CattleToday:

My comprehending is just fine. Most folks don't say what they think. Did a deeper in GB comments about getting him to understand how people that work all the think it has a deeper meaning . I'm having a wonderful day ........... Working........and fixing to start baling since I started about daylight. .

herofan wrote:

I'm wondering if words show up differently on other people's screen. Interpretation
Is amazing. I didn't say a thing about avoiding work or motivation.
And I didn't say anything about Pasteur or Edison either.
You, made that jump.

greybeard":314z1ab0 said:
herofan wrote:

I'm wondering if words show up differently on other people's screen. Interpretation
You, made that jump.

True. You mentioned doers and overachievers who lead the world in what they wish to do. Those are just two historical examples that I felt fit that description, but if that is way off track from what you meant, you can clarify now. I feel that is a more logical assumption than assuming someone who wants more time with family and a good balance in life is just someone wanting to avoid work.

There are some others here that seem to have similar beliefs as I. Do you busy advocates put us all in the same category, or did I say something in particular that seemed strange? It just seems like every time this free time/busy topic comes up, it seems like there are those who feel the need to convince us that we are wrong in our lifestyle and somehow wasting our lives by not being on the busy train all the time.

If I seemed puzzled too, it's only because I know plenty of people who are busy all the time, but never heard any of them seem so proud of it. If the subject ever arises, people I know all say they wish they could slow down and smell the roses and spend more time with the family. I never heard anyone say they didn't want any free time, or that not wanting to work all the time made one a lazy bum Perhaps you guys are just the opposite. Perhaps everyone you know is constantly busy and has no desire to slow down or have balance. So, I guess that makes us oddities to each other.

herofan":1xzx3v0c said:
greybeard":1xzx3v0c said:
herofan wrote:

You, made that jump.

True. You mentioned doers and overachievers who lead the world in what they wish to do. Those are just two historical examples that I felt fit that description, but if that is way off track from what you meant, you can clarify now. I feel that is a more logical assumption than assuming someone who wants more time with family and a good balance in life is just someone wanting to avoid work.

There are some others here that seem to have similar beliefs as I. Do you busy advocates put us all in the same category, or did I say something in particular that seemed strange? It just seems like every time this free time/busy topic comes up, it seems like there are those who feel the need to convince us that we are wrong in our lifestyle and somehow wasting our lives by not being on the busy train all the time.

If I seemed puzzled too, it's only because I know plenty of people who are busy all the time, but never heard any of them seem so proud of it. If the subject ever arises, people I know all say they wish they could slow down and smell the roses and spend more time with the family. I never heard anyone say they didn't want any free time, or that not wanting to work all the time made one a lazy bum Perhaps you guys are just the opposite. Perhaps everyone you know is constantly busy and has no desire to slow down or have balance. So, I guess that makes us oddities to each other.

Screw what other people think. You got a good mind. Live your life the way you are. Sounds to me like you are doing fine.

herofan":2cr255d9 said:
I'm wondering if words show up differently on other people's screen.
:lol: Kinda rare that what I type shows up on the screen as I type it. Always hVing to go back and edit the errors.

Case in point. The error I left in above. Autocorrect is nice when it works but I think it makes more errors that I do.

1982vett":swekhtc6 said:
herofan":swekhtc6 said:
I'm wondering if words show up differently on other people's screen.
:lol: Kinda rare that what I type shows up on the screen as I type it. Always hVing to go back and edit the errors.

Case in point. The error I left in above. Autocorrect is nice when it works but I think it makes more errors that I do.

That's true. I tend to overlook errors sometimes, especially if I'm typing it on my phone.

TexasBred":7cljg7t2 said:
I never have any real schedule except on Thursdays when I volunteer at the VA Hospital. Otherwise I do a lot of small things but seldom anything someone would consider hard work. I mow, keep the place clean, check the cows everyday, sometimes just park the mule in woods and sit and day dream a bit....I make it to town about once a week strictly to visit a few folks, drink a few beers and BS a couple of hours. We eat out several times during the week which is simply a chance to not have the wife cook and enjoy good food as well. I do quite a lot of reading, most non fiction and have several books going at one time. Otherwise I nap a lot as well. ;-)

Sounds like the life!! Are you retired?

M-5":3u154ds5 said:
TexasBred":3u154ds5 said:
I never have any real schedule except on Thursdays when I volunteer at the VA Hospital. Otherwise I do a lot of small things but seldom anything someone would consider hard work. I mow, keep the place clean, check the cows everyday, sometimes just park the mule in woods and sit and day dream a bit....I make it to town about once a week strictly to visit a few folks, drink a few beers and BS a couple of hours. We eat out several times during the week which is simply a chance to not have the wife cook and enjoy good food as well. I do quite a lot of reading, most non fiction and have several books going at one time. Otherwise I nap a lot as well. ;-)
Sounds like you work hard at making sure you can work at a comfortable place.
Ever wonder what an old dog is looking for when he turns around 5 times in the same spot before he lays down?? :lol2: That's probably about like me.

Lucky":5ak4o4sm said:
TexasBred":5ak4o4sm said:

Yessir....don't hit a lick at a snake unless it's really important or it's to help somebody else. I really get enjoyment doing little unexpected things for people. Nothing big just small things. Mow the lawn, buy their lunch and sneak out of the restaurant, buy a round of beer for the "dead pecker gang" at the bar and leave without saying anything..Guess I'm really just a lazy SOB. :lol:

TexasBred":2am7iyx9 said:
Lucky":2am7iyx9 said:
TexasBred":2am7iyx9 said:

Yessir....don't hit a lick at a snake unless it's really important or it's to help somebody else. I really get enjoyment doing little unexpected things for people. Nothing big just small things. Mow the lawn, buy their lunch and sneak out of the restaurant, buy a round of beer for the "dead pecker gang" at the bar and leave without saying anything..Guess I'm really just a lazy SOB. :lol:

Sounds like you're enjoying your retirement too many don't. Hopefully I'll get to do the same. I've slowed down allot this year but it's a result of running too hard for the last 10 years. Finally got to where I want to be.

TexasBred":2j0lswdl said:
Lucky":2j0lswdl said:
TexasBred":2j0lswdl said:

You had better figure out a way to get busy so your life can be more fulfilling. :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like you are having a great retirement and living the dream!

alisonb":2bugf2tp said:
Herofan - As long as you are happy with your life... ;-)

Spose one has to be careful of what you wish, you could fall off a ladder and end up having more than enough 'free time' :shock:

That's actually what happened to a friend of mine last year; he is now paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair. He was one of the busy types. He was always on the go. He now says that if God ever lets him get back on his feet, he is going to make some big changes. There will be no more working in his shop every night until 9:00 or 10:00 and trying to fill all his time with work. He wants to spend more time with his family. His experience has help solidify my happiness with the choices I have made in life.

herofan":2etavsg6 said:
alisonb":2etavsg6 said:

Spose one has to be careful of what you wish, you could fall off a ladder and end up having more than enough 'free time' :shock:

That's actually what happened to a friend of mine last year; he is now paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair. He was one of the busy types. He was always on the go. He now says that if God ever lets him get back on his feet, he is going to make some big changes. There will be no more working in his shop every night until 9:00 or 10:00 and trying to fill all his time with work. He wants to spend more time with his family. His experience has help solidify my happiness with the choices I have made in life.
What you call work I might call enjoyment. There's no part of sitting around that I enjoy.

True Grit Farms":11m6zc6s said:
herofan":11m6zc6s said:
alisonb":11m6zc6s said:

What you call work I might call enjoyment. There's no part of sitting around that I enjoy.

I agree. To me going out and feeding the cows or mowing a field of hay is enjoyable not work. Me and my four year boy will get in the cab tractor and mow hay for hours. He will talk and ask millions of questions , a lot better than seating on the coach watch some crazy tv show. What some people consider work other consider enjoyable. Iam not one to just seat and do nothing I get bored to easy.

One time some years ago a very wise man asked me what I was pushing so hard for.
I told him I was trying to make it, meaning trying to make something of myself and accomplishment in life.
I said a lot of people didn't make it.
He said, "that's right."
But added, "we are going to pick you up in basket one day".
He was right but I couldn't see how to go about it any other way.
Sometimes if you got a tiger by the tail you just can't turn loose.

My life is different now. I am always trying to figure out a way to get more hours in a day.
But I do not hurry unless it is an emergency. I may not sleep a lot, but I don't hurry.

pricefarm":6xwe8j7o said:
True Grit Farms":6xwe8j7o said:
herofan":6xwe8j7o said:

I agree. To me going out and feeding the cows or mowing a field of hay is enjoyable not work. Me and my four year boy will get in the cab tractor and mow hay for hours. He will talk and ask millions of questions , a lot better than seating on the coach watch some crazy tv show. What some people consider work other consider enjoyable. Iam not one to just seat and do nothing I get bored to easy.
hmmmmmmm 4 year old son.....check back when you're 75 and talk to us. Hope it's good.

Ryder":25kwgawx said:
One time some years ago a very wise man asked me what I was pushing so hard for.
I told him I was trying to make it, meaning trying to make something of myself and accomplishment in life.
I said a lot of people didn't make it.
He said, "that's right."
But added, "we are going to pick you up in basket one day".
He was right but I couldn't see how to go about it any other way.
Sometimes if you got a tiger by the tail you just can't turn loose.

My life is different now. I am always trying to figure out a way to get more hours in a day.
But I do not hurry unless it is an emergency. I may not sleep a lot, but I don't hurry.

Lots of retired folks sleep til 9 AM as well. I get up before 6 AM. No particular reason. Just enjoy getting up early.

[/quote]
hmmmmmmm 4 year old son.....check back when you're 75 and talk to us. Hope it's good.[/quote]

Not sure Iam following you what do you mean by that.

Latest posts