Free money

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
(Sept. 7) - The federal government began doling out $2,000 to each household of Hurricane Katrina victims Wednesday. To qualify, individuals must register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The agency says it will issue the funds in several ways: electronic transfer to individuals' bank accounts, debit cards or by checks delivered by the U.S. Postal Service. FEMA says it's been working with the Postal Service to ensure mail is forwarded to those in shelters.

This is BS in my book. This is not a helping hand but a handout outof my and your pockets. This money should have to be repaid.
Qualified is what I live off tax paying American citizens?

Ya got that one right! Plenty o folks here in my area lost everything ta tornadas and such over the years, never once be anyone around here handin out free cash. Natural disaster be somethin ya need be ready ta deal with no matter where ya be livin, bein hit by one don't make no man anythin special in my book. I be knowin what does, though ;-)

george

They interviewed a woman on Fox News today, and she said she was going to buy a house with the money.When they do get the $ where are they going to put all this stuff they buy after the shopping spree?
There will no doubt be so much fraud, and dope bought.This plan will surely blow up in the Feds faces. It will set a precedent. Everytime something happens, people will be waiting for handouts. Guess it will keep the Natives from becoming Riotous.

Hey I got it all figured out.....the cards will say the following.......Not to be used for buying dope, booze, or hookers. That will surely stop any one from abusing them. :p

After all, I do need to sign up, cus I had just moved there into down town a few days before the storm came..... where do I sign? And now I have had to move back to my old home :( I need the 2 grand to start my new life somewhere.

What's the matter with you, Camp? You want to keep your own money? Just because you work for it doesn't mean you've got any more right to it than the folks that have had less opportunity than you have been blessed with. I'm very disappointed in you. All of that greedy 'big oil' bunch you hang out with is influencing your thinking. You should be ashamed. Now, cough up your share. And turn on the a/c in the bunkhouse so you can have it cool when the first family of 14 gets there.

I doubt if anyone here would be bitchin about 2 grand handouts if we were walkin in their shoes and faced with what they are faced with. All those people are not dopers or winos. Most need the help for immediate needs such as clothes and sanitary supplies.

Yeah I.m still gripping didn't see the government rushing in to hand people money in Alicia or Carla. You had the responsibilty of carring insurance, novel idea.

I have always wondered about this when there are disasters. I am all for the feds (taxpayers) helping out to some degree. But when I see disasters of smaller scales such as tornadoes where families have lost virtually everything but since it was only a handful of people affected there is no declaration of a national disaster. Those people may go thru just as much pain and suffering but must rely on insurance and their local churches and communities for help.

Obviously we can't hand over money and send in the National Guard everytime something devastating happens to someone, but how do they (feds) make the distiction of who needs assistance and who doesn't?

One thing to keep in mind in NO though is that this wasn't simply a passing storm where they can stay at a hotel in a neighboring town and still go to work everyday while they clean up and rebuild. It may be months before they can go back to where their homes were. They don't have any jobs to go to even if they could. They are being displaced all over the country away from family and friends. They can't rely on their local communities for help because everyone is in the same situation, and their local churches no longer exist. They literally only have the shirts on their backs. Even if they have insurance, that takes months to get taken care of. Plus it may cover their home and some personal belongings, but as I mentioned they have no jobs for their living expenses. After a while peoples attention and money will shift to another cause or we will simply lose interest in this story and there won't be the funding for all the shelters that are currently opperating.

Ideally, most of them will move on and get a new job in a different city for a while until they can move back to NO. But we all know there will be some that for some reason can't get back on their feet. Yes there will be thousands of people who will get money that don't need it or will only use it to buy drugs or alcohol, but with the volume of people that need help there is no way to screen everyone and follow them around to make sure they only buy necessities.

For all my tax money that the government wastes on things I thiink are unimportant, I don't have a problem taking a hundred bucks or so and send it to others that need help.

When you think about it, 2K aint nothing. I've read that the U.S. puts a total of 15K into the hands of every man, woman and child in Israel.At least the money is going to AMERICANS.Hope they spend it wisely.And it gives them some relief.

$2000 is more than a lot of them lost. If you live in public housing, buy groceries with food stamps, HUD pays your utilities and the welfare system sends you your spending money then why do you need $2000? The feds are moving them to more public housing and making sure they don't miss a single welfare check. It looks to me like they are as well off as before and have an extra $2000.

I realize there are some good people that lost jobs and homes, but if you are paying your own bills $2,000 won't get you far with your car payment and mortgage.

I know there are a lot of good folks in NO. But those that did the looting and shooting are the scum of the earth. I don't care what color,age, sex, religion, or what they are still an embarrassment to the honest hard working people of this great nation. Those that looted for food and shelter or other survival needs I have no quarrel with. Its those that took stuff just because they could that need to be punished. A lot of those people were fourth generation welfare recipiants. They hav't gotten anywhere in life because they didn't want to. They expect the goverment to provide for them so thay don't have to themselves. I don't think the goverment should give them one dime. This should be done by people that feel the need to give. I have given myself, I gave a gift card from Lowes to a friend of mine. He asks if I minded if he gave it to someone else that was worse off than he. I said sure. This was a guy that lost the roof off his house and everthing flooded on the first floor. He gave it to someone more needing. That said a lot. There are a lot of good folks down there. We just don't see it in the main stream media. I can understand the government giving those that were victims of terrorist attacts, but this was an act of nature. They knew they were below sealevel and a hurricane was coming. The government doesn't give other people that looses everthing in natural disasters any money. Why should we do it now. That money should come from charities.

Bama":37gfh3pk said:
The government doesn't give other people that looses everthing in natural disasters any money. Why should we do it now. That money should come from charities.

I think the same BAMA.
Instead of being thankful that they are going to get it, now they are outraged that it is too slow in coming. They really believe that it is their right. But, that's what they have been taught.

I'm all for helping those that will help themselves. But those that just stand there with their hand out just ruffles my feathers.

Ryder":a3x2lete said:
Bama":a3x2lete said:
The government doesn't give other people that looses everthing in natural disasters any money. Why should we do it now. That money should come from charities.

I think the same BAMA.
Instead of being thankful that they are going to get it, now they are outraged that it is too slow in coming. They really believe that it is their right. But, that's what they have been taught.

I agree with both of you on those points. Can you imagine the government handing out $2000 to everyone who has their house blown down by a tornado? It's a natural disaster that couses people to loose everything!

Campground Cattle
This is a goverment exercise in central people banking. Who knows what information "they" will be collecting from these cards. Cheap cost for a study if think you about it.

Two grand....hummm...I could use some help around here and have a equipment shed that isn't being used and would make a nice bunk house. Ya know...a guy could get some free labor and charge a few bucks rent to boot.
Maybe not such a good idea...had enough trouble with the foreign exchange students and the whole indentured servant accusation...worse than hiring the illegals...thats another story.
Still...a few extra hands to get caught up before winter....and maybe a tax deduction out of it....tempting.

2K great for help bad for idiots check the media an idiot here in georgia who got 2K went on a dang shopping spree and bought 2 TWO) louis vitton purses at 800.$ a pop thats relief work at its best what morons!!!

Susie David...don't tell me...you worked your foriegn exchange students? you can do that? I thought they were here to be cuddled and shown that America is so great, and relaxing, go home get the family packed and move to America permenantly.

Shame, shame on you.........that will breka the pretense that in America you don't need to work to be prosperous......

oh, by the way... how can we get us some of them? :p :cboy: They work huh? :idea:

Latest posts