Free Martin??

Help Support CattleToday:

Next sale
They'll preg her if u ask!
And I would definitely have her pregged for the sale.
The buyers often pay better when they know just what they are getting!

An open cow is generally worth more dollars for slaughter.

A bred cow is generally worth more to the folks wanting bred cows.

Best of luck!
Let us know how it goes.

Next sale
I talk to a Vet that works the sale barn cows and he said bring her on and he would check her to see if PG., (at the barn). I was telling my helper I'll load her in the morning and carry her to sale barn and he told me that last week my bull was trying to mount her but she wouldn't stand. Now I'm faced with do I wait a couple of weeks then take her or go ahead and have her checked. How long when they are bred does it take to show up PG on the testing? If the bull did breed her it would be too soon to show that she was PG, right?
I haven't been were I could watch my pastures for the last 2 weeks as I was moving a play ground system for our church. My helper said he saw it but I've never seen any action between her and the bull. Suggestions please. If she can have calves I'd like to keep her. If not, then she's going to sale. Thanks.

I talk to a Bet that works the sale barn cows and he said bring her on and he would check her to see if PG., (at the barn). I was telling my helper I'll load her in the morning and carry her to sale barn and he told me that last week my bull was trying to mount her but she wouldn't stand. Now I'm faced with do I wait a couple of weeks then take her or go ahead and have her checked. How long when they are bred does it take to show up PG on the testing? If the bull did breed her it would be too soon to show that she was PG, right?
I haven't been were I could watch my pastures for the last 2 weeks as I was moving a play ground system for our church. My helper said he saw it but I've never seen any action between her and the bull. Suggestions please. If she can have calves I'd like to keep her. If not, then she's going to sale. Thanks.
Even if she's bred, she is way past due for the trip to the sale barn.

The sale is tomorrow. The vet said to have her there around noon.
Definitely check her.

First trimester is supposed to be easiest to detect.

If she's bred and ya wanna keep her, then do it!! She's your heifer!
(Even tho I agree, she's way past due)

Just because a bull was mounting her, doesn't necessarily mean she ain't bred already. And vice versa. You WILL know more tomorrow. All they will charge ya is a preg check and maybe a p.o. fee if she makes it to the ring.

You are gonna stay and watch right??

Best of luck!

Look forward to hearing what happens!

The sale is tomorrow. The vet said to have her there around noon.
I just looked up her history and she was borned 6/16/2021. She will be 3 years old this June 16, 2024. Right now she is about 2 years and 9 months. She loads tomorrow.

Definitely check her.

First trimester is supposed to be easiest to detect.

If she's bred and ya wanna keep her, then do it!! She's your heifer!
(Even tho I agree, she's way past due)

Just because a bull was mounting her, doesn't necessarily mean she ain't bred already. And vice versa. You WILL know more tomorrow. All they will charge ya is a preg check and maybe a p.o. fee if she makes it to the ring.

You are gonna stay and watch right??

Best of luck!

Look forward to hearing what happens!
When the vet checks her, I can't just load her back up? ( if preg) I've never done this before. I was not planning on staying for the sale tomorrow but may have to stay. Wonder what the preg test costs?

When the vet checks her, I can't just load her back up? I've never done this before. I was not planning on staying for the sale tomorrow but may have to stay. Wonder what the preg test costs?
Yes!
If they can check her in a timely manner, most places here will load her right back up for u.

Usually a preg check is 10 bucks or less.
Super cheap

I almost always stay if I'm selling.

When the vet checks her, I can't just load her back up? ( if preg) I've never done this before. I was not planning on staying for the sale tomorrow but may have to stay. Wonder what the preg test costs?
What would your reason be for keeping a three year old cow that has never calved? Is she a pet?

If she turns up well along in a pregnancy then keep her.. if she is very short bred... then she is still not worth keeping... at $1.50-2.50 a lb. you can better put the money into something else... or just be glad you are not still feeding her... I prefer to calve at 27-30 months because it works for us... and most fall born heifers that I keep, are held over for spring calves... I prefer not to have heifers calving in the fall... it takes alot out of them to make milk, maintain or gain and grow, and breed back... but spring calving heifers often do fine...

No pet, just thought if she was with calf, I'd keep her. But I don't think she is pregnant.
She may not be able to carry a calf. I wouldn't bother with the added expense of the test. Here, the commission goes from $28 for lb cows to $5 on breds. Not sure you will see that difference in price.

Well......
What happened @tcolvin
I got her weight close, I missed her 5 pounds. I think I may have messed up on her description. The guys unloading couldn't get the back trailer door open and while I was on the rail they came to me while I was filling out the paper work and ask if I had a pair of pliers to pull the pen out of the slide bar. I told them they didn't need to pull it out and stepped off the rail to go to the trailer door and when I got on the ground, the guy logging in the cattle hollowed down to me, "is that a cow or calf?"
Before I thought I said "cow". Actually she was still a heifer calf, but at 28 months old, maybe a cow is how she should be classed. She brought a far cry from the last calves I sold, calves brought $3.15 average (one $3.51) and her $1.40. Would calf classification fit her or would the buyers pick up on age verses calf. I would think so maybe? Any way she'd is gone. I didn't think anymore about it until I was down the road aways and I called them but they had put her with the cows. I didn't ask for her to be moved as it took me a hour and a half to get to unloading pen and there were 15-20 behind me. I couldn't stay for sale due other appointments. What is y'all opinion,. Cow or heifer calf?

Latest posts