Frame scoring need improvement

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy

Reaction score
I have a concern about the way frame score is determined. It seems to me that measuring just the hip height and reading across a chart to the animals age is too simple. I know (I think)a lot of algebra has gone into that chart but seems there is more that should be considered. A 6 frame animal for example can have large, heavy bones or medium size bones or fine bones. That same animal could have a skelton that is put together near perfect or just barely holding together. Isn't all that part of a frame?
My suggestion is to do one of two things; either come up with a system that takes all aspects into account OR tell me the animal's age, give me a measuring stick and I'll judge the skeleton myself. I like the last one better.

Most people never frame score their cattle. You said you have read Gerald Fry, he has other measuring systems. We are not going to do all that measuring either. Have at it if you want to.

Why complicate something that doesn;t need complicating? All it is meant to address is the height of the animal, not all of the other facets of the anatomy

Latest posts