Fourth of July in Canada?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Along the Minnesota border, some Canadians, particularly the marching bands, celebrate the 4th by coming down to swill the cheap American lager with their neighbors. How is the 4th celebrated in other parts of Canada?

I go stand out at the end of the driveway and watch the fireworks, either 20 miles to the West in Baudette or 6 miles to south in Birchdale. I haven't actually went across border on 4th of July in many years as the traffic and parking is nuts. I like my Minnesota towns sleepy and quiet.

Stocker Steve":1f455nu4 said:
Along the Minnesota border, some Canadians, particularly the marching bands, celebrate the 4th by coming down to swill the cheap American lager with their neighbors. How is the 4th celebrated in other parts of Canada?
I figured they made and burned little wooden models of the White House every 4th of July... :hide:

Aaron":3cuhmygy said:
I go stand out at the end of the driveway and watch the fireworks, either 20 miles to the West in Baudette or 6 miles to south in Birchdale.

Better stay away from parties in Birchdale. The last time I went to a campground bonfire there I barely escaped from a gal who said her husband was trucking windows to the east coast and she was really really lonely...

greybeard":2vdldn61 said:
Stocker Steve":2vdldn61 said:
I figured they made and burned little wooden models of the White House every 4th of July... :hide:

Nope considering we didn't burn the White House down

Chief Dirtyface":229770tg said:
greybeard":229770tg said:
Stocker Steve":229770tg said:

Yes, apparently on July 1, 1867 a big imaginary switch was flipped in which no one living here was responsible for anything that happened before that date. Kind of like a bankruptcy.

Aaron":1chi634k said:
I go stand out at the end of the driveway and watch the fireworks, either 20 miles to the West in Baudette or 6 miles to south in Birchdale. I haven't actually went across border on 4th of July in many years as the traffic and parking is nuts. I like my Minnesota towns sleepy and quiet.
Wow, you're close to one of my friends!.. Hmm.. I think I may have mentioned them before too.

Aaron":31pkwuzk said:
Chief Dirtyface":31pkwuzk said:
greybeard":31pkwuzk said:

Yes, apparently on July 1, 1867 a big imaginary switch was flipped in which no one living here was responsible for anything that happened before that date. Kind of like a bankruptcy.
I thought that's when Canada was discovered.. :hide: That's why no one living here is responsible for anything before that date

Just saw this. We buried the hatchet 10 Sept 2010 after 232 years, (Saratoga). I have a 1st cousin (at least 6 x removed with whom I
communicate regularly. They aren't much for the 4th and we don't bother them about Boxing day. They're mostly Catholic and we're
mostly not. Same with hockey. I was polite when I offered unlimited access to Detroit and Chicago in exchange for Alberta.
I don't think they heard me.... Both sides of the line tend to be more divided between liberal and conservative than the border.
I wear Sorel boots and a maple leaf pin in my chore cap. Not for everyone but works for us.

Latest posts