Foundered Cow trying to calve

Help Support CattleToday:

pbarber

Reaction score
I have a first year heifer that is due anytime now. The last 4 days she has laid down and I can't get her up. Yesterday she did move on her own to the pond and has laid on the bank and will not move at all now. I know the pond feels good to her but she is about to calve any day now. Being this is her first calf, I am not sure what to do. The vet has told me to leave her in the pond and when she gets out pin her up, but she is not getting out of the pond. First question is we have examined her and the calf is not in the birth canal yet and she is not dilated she is bagging up pretty good but no milk yet, is there a chance that the calf is already dead. They were not able to give me that information. Secondly, should I move her out of the pond or let her lay there and get out on her own. I am really worried that she will throw the calf in the pond, and I really cant tell what is happening because her hind quarters are under water. I have been told that I will most likely have to pull the calf since she has foundered and maybe that will help her start getting up and moving since she won't be as heavy. This is my first calf ever! My husband bought this cow already pregnant from someone who needed help so he took her. I am not sure if I should try to save the calf first or the cow. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Save the cow first.
I don't understand why the vet would say leave her in the pond. If she calves in there you *will* lose the calf unless you're right there at the time.
There's nothing in what you've posted that suggests the calf is dead. Chances are it's still cosy and preparing for the birth.

In all the heifers I've had calve, I can't think of one that went down before calving. During and after, yes. Perhaps someone else has ideas about what is going on with her. Meantime you could find a way to get her up and well away from that pond (such things are a magnet for unsteady newborn calves). You may need to ask a neighbour for help if she's unable to walk out with a bit of encouragement.

Thank you I had a couple of neighbors and we did get her out of the pond. We were just in time because there were hooves that needed to be helped along, had to pull the calf because the cow just couldn't do it, the calf was a little big. Had to start her on bottle, because heifer couldn't get up and then we tried to get her up with the tractor. But unfortunately this morning going down to check on them the momma didn't make it and now I am working on the calf. Having trouble getting it to eat so I cut a bigger hole and just trying to get it down her, she had started suckling but then quickly quite when she got the nipple. I hope I am doing this right, calf is in my garage so I can keep it close, with a pen outside, feeding it colostrum, or trying to....getting her up and moving.

Did the calf get colostrum- since the cow didn't make it?? Colostrum (first milk) is extremely important as calves are born with very little immune system, and the colostrum has lots of anti-bodies and other goodies to help boost the calves immune system.

Latest posts