Foundered again!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I have miniature donkeys and I posted last year about a jennet that was foundered. I had to keep her dry lotted most of the summer, treating her daily. Now she has foundered again, only a different foot. We are droughty, so I don't know what may have caused this round. She has been eating hay and what grass we have. I don't feed grain in summer except when I want to get them penned or to mix with meds. And then just a handful.

I have soaked her hoof in Epsom salts, dug around in there for a bit, and didnt find anything like drainage but I put some of the salve the vet gave me last year, a bit of cusion, (a maxi pad!! My farrier uses disposable diapers but they are too hard to cut up and her hooves are so small.) and wrapped her up. Also gave her some anti inflamatory. Is there anything else I can do? Once they founder, they are more likely to founder again, correct? This is the third summer in a row. It's getting tiresome but I don't want to sell her to someone else who may not take care of her and she's bred. Due in October.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Are you sure that she foundered? Have you had your vet check her? Is it a front or rear hoof. Usually when an equine founders, it is in both front feet, unless the animal is putting undue stress on one leg.

Is it possible that she has an abcess?

Latest posts