found new vet

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
We had a cow form a growth on her third eye lid. nasty would bleed and puss running down her face. like always two different vet did not return my calls .unless the cow is down they don`t have the time. well called a new vet a young man i think not long out of collage. came out right away. said it was a tumor thinks we got it early and froze it and cut it out then sewed the eye closed and gave her a shot. did it all out at the farm $130.This is our new vet.glad we found him

Congratulations. Develop a relationship with him. A good vet in an emergency is beyond value.

Holmesfarm":3cp1wqut said:
We had a cow form a growth on her third eye lid. nasty would bleed and puss running down her face. like always two different vet did not return my calls .unless the cow is down they don`t have the time. well called a new vet a young man i think not long out of collage. came out right away. said it was a tumor thinks we got it early and froze it and cut it out then sewed the eye closed and gave her a shot. did it all out at the farm $130.This is our new vet.glad we found him

Glad you found him. Believe it or not new vets right out of vet school (especially large animal vets) don't make as much money as many might think. I beleive the average is around 25-26,000 per year. I'm sure he was glad to get the business and will treat you well as a new customer. :clap: :clap:

I would like to reply to this ridiculous statement. My daughter just graduated from veterinary school and is following in her mother's footsteps. She will be making approximately 100,000 a year in a mixed practice. This is after 8 years of higher education. It is people like you who are apt to complain about a professional fee for a farm call, that are turning good veterinarians toward small animal practices. I do not want to offend you, but it is past time for you to realize that you must pay a reasonable price for professional help, otherwise just except a high death rate in your cattle. Do you think an M.D. should make 20,000 a year?

nap":3et9kqv7 said:
I would like to reply to this ridiculous statement. My daughter just graduated from veterinary school and is following in her mother's footsteps. She will be making approximately 100,000 a year in a mixed practice. This is after 8 years of higher education. It is people like you who are apt to complain about a professional fee for a farm call, that are turning good veterinarians toward small animal practices. I do not want to offend you, but it is past time for you to realize that you must pay a reasonable price for professional help, otherwise just except a high death rate in your cattle. Do you think an M.D. should make 20,000 a year?

What is this in response to?

nap":330jorvy said:
This is response to texasbred above.

I couldn;t see where he was critical, that's why I was curious about the angry response. I have no idea what a begining LA vet makes but I think it's probably closer to the 25K then 100K. I'm thinking net not gross.

Dun,
I have to admit that my response was a little terse. I get a little upset when I hear people bragging about how little they pay vets to make farm calls. Ultimately, it will mean no more farm calls and our animals will end up on the losing end. Perhaps having two vets in the family does make me a little too sensitive on this issue. You are correct that the average pay for starting vets is less than 100,000, my daughter had an exceptional job offer coming out of school and she took it. But I don't think she'll be making many farm calls in which she ends up losing money. Anyway, no harm intended.

a good vet is hard to find.glad he was able to help you with your cows eye prob.as you said some vets just wont make farm calls.because they can get enough business in the office working on dogs an cats.just because a person doesnt call the vet.doesnt mean they dont take care of their cattle.for most it means they can pretty much do what a vet can do.so we dr an take care of the cows ourselves.

FWIW to those curious about a vet's salary.... http://jobs.aavmc.org/search.cfm Take a peek at how much they're making... even large animal offers are $50-75,000/yr and no one cares if they're fresh out of school or have been doing this for years.

I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with my post. If I did, I'm sorry. Starting vets are in much demand (most of the kids in my daughter's class had their choice of jobs) and there is a considerable variation in salaries particularly predicated on where they choose to practice. Big cities will always pay much better than small towns. Increased veterinary costs are a problem that are going to effect all of us in the cattle business. I'm afraid it is already causing many farmers and ranchers like the one that commented above to practice on their own animals. Since we are already working at the margins it is natural for people to look for ways to cut costs. I know I am. I also know I am very fortunate to have expertise in the family and I commiserate with those that don't. I just wanted to end this thread on a friendly note.

If he is a new vet with his own practice, he will remember you, and appreciate the business.

I know I'm jealous! We lost our large animal vet two years ago, and although we got a replacement last year, she primarily does small animal practice. I've had her out for a couple of things, and although she is very nice and I'm sure very knowledgeable, she seems to be afraid of cattle and obviously not what she'd prefer to practice. So for the foreseable future, I'll continue to haul 70 miles to Texas A & M. I always ask the interns there if anyone is looking to become a "food animal" veterinary, and most are going into horses or small animals.

And I agree.. most cattle vets are almost forced to charge less to take care of cattle, or ranchers can't justify using them. Whereas with horses and pets, owners are more likely to not care about the cost.

TheBullLady":jwou3ea2 said:
And I agree.. most cattle vets are almost forced to charge less to take care of cattle, or ranchers can't justify using them. Whereas with horses and pets, owners are more likely to not care about the cost.

Agreed. Horse, dog, and cat owners think with their hearts, whereas cattle owners tend to think with their checkbook.

Latest posts