Found a Hole in the Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1020387.jpg

Suggestions?

looks like one strand of ducktape oughta keep that fence around another 10 years, at least.

Seriously good suggestions for a quick fix, denog and beefy. I'll fix fence and post pic later in the week or the weekend. It's only a cross fence, but part of my herding pen, so it has to be tight in order to drive cows and calves into working pen.

if you have any bent up wire cattle panels, i like to cut all the bent out and use whats left as an easy fence patch. (secure it to the fence with ducktape)

i guess that will work too i dont know. you could plant a smilax (greenbriar) vine there, and that will help keep the fence up when your posts rot one day. if you plant it tonite it will probably be able to hold cows tomorrow.

baling wire to weave it back together and then you might run two or three more strands of barbed wire on the "cattle" side of the fence spaced like a normal fence just on top or in front of your mesh. Might keep them from pushing on it. Or a hot wire. Also please tighten those top wires. ;-)

Beefy, that smilax idea would work too. There's some mean, wretched, spiteful, straight razor totin' kind of thorns on those vines. :lol:
Your idea would work as well, Hippie Rancher. I've done it that way before.

Did the calf do that? It looks as if the mother did it.

Looks like you need to run some barb wire in about 5 or 6 strands. Looks like you have got the best outa the wire you got. Maybe time for a bigger overhaul.

Wewild, I think calves over a period of time nosing through it got the hole in there. There 's no need for cows to bother it as there's an open gate on either end at all times except when I'm driving them into the working pen. I feed hay in there and young calves don't know they can walk down the fence and go through the gate to get to their Mommas. So they poke at the fence. But, you're right about the whole thing needing replacing. One of these days, I'll take it down and replace with one or two strands of hot wire.

I sure do like that red brockle cow. And that fence looks like Fort Knox compared to some of mine.

Thanks cf, I like the red brockle too. She's a RA X Hereford with her first calf and is looking real good. And I've some way worse looking fence myself. But it's on the woods side and covered up in briars, smilax, spanish moss, etc., which make it uninviting to the cows to cross. :D

Way better than my patching. I'll have to post a picture.

Latest posts