Found: 3 bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
...that are gonna be castrated anytime soon.

Cattle were being a bunch of be nice's today... at least them bulls that I was trying to get pics of. :x

Checked the rest of the calves in the two herds as carefully as I could, but these three are the only ones I could find...and no doubt, from what I've been seeing they're full-bulls, not stags.

Bull #1: I've gotta try to get a better pic of this one, guess he didn't like having his picture taken today... :roll:
DSCF0261.JPG

DSCF0263.JPG

Bull#2: This one MIGHT be a stag, from the size of his sack...but I'll find out when we run them through to do some dehorning.
DSCF0264.JPG

DSCF0269.JPG

DSCF0271.JPG

Bull #3: This brockle face is DEFINATELY a full bull, if you take a good look at his rear, he's got two testis...and he's one that wouldn't have anything to do with me today. Or any day.
DSCF0272.JPG

DSCF0275.JPG

DSCF0277.JPG

Let me know your thoughts.

I have two thoughts:

1- Under no circumstances should ANY of these three bulls be allowed to perpetuate their genes. Castrate them before they begin to show a crest.

2- Request several catalogs from ranches which are having sales, and learn what acceptable bulls should look like, and what unacceptable bulls should look like, and avoid ones which have phenotype which resembles the ones you have shown here.

DOC HARRIS

Doc

If I remember correctly they only run stockers and sell all of them in the fall, or whenever they reach their targetweight/price. I don't think she meant at all that she plans on keeping them as bulls. She probably meant that she have found three bulls in the group that was all supposed to be steers.

I agree that they should be castrated as soon as the opportunity arise....I'm still glad I don't ever have to deal with all that snow.

DOC HARRIS":20msrhsw said:
I have two thoughts:

1- Under no circumstances should ANY of these three bulls be allowed to perpetuate their genes. Castrate them before they begin to show a crest.

2- Request several catalogs from ranches which are having sales, and learn what acceptable bulls should look like, and what unacceptable bulls should look like, and avoid ones which have phenotype which resembles the ones you have shown here.

DOC HARRIS
I think you missed the point. Also my view is anybody can breed any cattle they want.

DOC HARRIS":14o7t0uv said:
I have two thoughts:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, Luv-a-beef has explained her dad's operation before. They get a bunch of of ~4 to 5 weight weaned stockyard type steer calves. They feed them hay, grass, and some grain and take them too ~8-9 weight steers then they sell them too a feedlot. Finding the little dudes who were improperly banded or simply not castrated at all is part of their gig. They keep no mama cows and have absolutely no control whatsoever over the genetics. Mediocre or screwed up looking calves are solely the fault of those of us in the seedstock and cow-calf sectors.

I missed the point also, until KNERSIE explained it. auctionboy, sure anybody can breed what they want, but if they ask for people's thoughts, that's what they're gonna get.

Brandonm2":2e6ey8x0 said:
DOC HARRIS":2e6ey8x0 said:
I have two thoughts:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, Luv-a-beef has explained her dad's operation before. They get a bunch of of ~4 to 5 weight weaned stockyard type steer calves. They feed them hay, grass, and some grain and take them too ~8-9 weight steers then they sell them too a feedlot. Finding the little dudes who were improperly banded or simply not castrated at all is part of their gig. They keep no mama cows and have absolutely no control whatsoever over the genetics. Mediocre or screwed up looking calves are solely the fault of those of us in the seedstock and cow-calf sectors.
Well - that makes me feel somewhat relieved! I was beginning to think that all of the effort that some of us on the Board were expending was going in one ear, and not even getting through the head until it died!

DOC HARRIS

Actually Doc I am impressed that they only found 3 out of a tractor trailer load that needed some attention in the chute.

So am I, but actually I'd rather have ONE full bull to deal with than three...this is the first time this has ever happened to us. Usually we get a couple of stags every year, and a full bull occaisonally, but more than one...rarely.

Here's some better pics of Bull #1:
DSCF0278.JPG

DSCF0279.JPG

DSCF0280.JPG

DSCF0281.JPG

Actually I'm kinda glad these three bulls are ones that wouldn't have anything to do with me, and are the wild type, because if they were the opposite and bigger with a sight more testoterone, then there's gonna be trouble... :nod: :nod:

Lost: three bull calves

can I have my boys back please, you might recive a reward for finding my lost bulls

I woulldn't forget about them, as you don't need a rep for selling uncut calves, run them in and cut them as you said. this happens alot around here, when ya buy steers we run em all through and check and cut before they get turned out

whats the big deal? just run them in and castrate them. if you dont want bulls, dont buy them...

Latest posts