Ford half ton diesel?

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
Heard that Ford was strongly considering introducing a smaller diesel in the F150 in the near future. What do you think? How likely is it? Might make sense. Theoretically should be good for 25 mpg.

Why should a person pay more for a ( little diesel) truck and the fuel, when the inital cost for the gas engine and fuel at the pump is cheaper? Diesels cost more to repair. A gas engine is good for 150 to 200 thousand these days. Very few people that buy new put that many miles on a vechicles. Gas vechiles are getting in the 20 mpg now.
Just my 2c about a small diesel truck.

I don't see what the advantage would be to an F150 diesel. It'll still be a light truck, not suited to any heavy hauling or pulling. Plus, around here, diesel is now about 50 cents a gallon more than gas.

Remember when the Diesel was much less than gasoline ? Isn't Diesel much cheaper to refine than gas. If so, why is Diesel more costly than gas ? Is it the taxes ? Or the greed created by the oil companies .

The reasons for a half ton diesel are numerous:

1) Better mpg. Dodge forecasts 30 mpg with theirs (due in 2009). No gas engine is going to touch that.
2) Diesel isn't more expensive everywhere in the world. Actually, diesel is generally cheaper, except in rural areas.
3) Longevity. While most people don't keep a truck past 100,000 miles or so, the trade-in value of any diesel pickup truck is much higher than a comparable gas engined vehicle. In the 3/4 and 1 ton markets, the diesel option is actually worth used than it was as new. In effect, you're buying the diesel truck cheaper than the gasser.
4) Emissions. Diesel trucks still generate far fewer green house gases.

Having said all this, the only manufacturer that has made solid plans for a 1/2 ton diesel is Dodge. Fords too busy trying to solve their Navistar blues and develop a diesel for their 3/4 and 1 tons to worry much about 1/2 tons. I wouldn't count on seeing Ford release a 1/2ton diesel anytime soon.

Rod

Read in Diesel Power magazine today while waiting on tire rotation, that Ford IS developing a 4.4, but that Navistar has sued them because they think it is a breach of contract. I was wondering if 30 mpg would be possible. I've argued the gas versus diesel numerous times myself. The initial cost, plus upkeep difference, does mitigate the fuel economy differences. I have two gas motors right now with well over 200k, one past a quarter million.

Bear in mind that the F150 is rated to tow up to 11,000 pounds now. That's way more than the old half tons. BTW, Ford now makes the claim to have more trucks still on the road with at least 250,000 miles than any other brand from year model 1992-2007.

kerley":3grhin4m said:
Remember when the Diesel was much less than gasoline ? Isn't Diesel much cheaper to refine than gas. If so, why is Diesel more costly than gas ? Is it the taxes ? Or the greed created by the oil companies .

Diesel and #2 fuel oil are one and the same. It is winter.

Pine Creek Ranch":1g7w3s9g said:
GM has already made solid plans for a half ton diesel too. Its the 4.7 litre Duramax. Should start seeing them within the next year or two.

GM hasn't announced any release date as of yet (or as far as I've seen anyway). With no release date offered, we won't see them for a minimum of two years. I'm not even certain their engine has entered testing yet. As for Ford's 1/2 ton offering, the engine isn't even close to being done, so their release is even further away. The Cummins going in the Dodge 1/2 ton has been out of testing for a year or two now and is in use in Europe.

Rod

Diesel and #2 fuel oil are no longer one in the same since the new sulfur regulations have come about as far as I know..... unless they are more strict on the fuel oil as well. Diesel has been about $0.40 a gallon higher even through the summer months here.

As for diesel being higher than gas it is because of the extra refining steps now required to get to the new ultra-low sulfur. The price of diesel has increased dramatically since the govt started regulating the sulfur content.

I Wish our Government would work on regulating Illegal immigration as they do Diesel fuel.Just my thoughts.

Ford already has this engine in their line up:

4.5L Power Stroke® V-6 Diesel; 200 HP @ 2700 rpm; 440 lb-ft Torque @ 1800 rpm

They put it in the cab over trucks like these:

Looks like it would be good for a light pickup. However, it giving up lots of horsepower to the gas trucks

According to an interview I read, International did feel the 4.5L Powerstroke would have been ideal for 1/2 tons and SUVs, however it suffers from too much noise and its not emissions compliant. I suspect Ford would not have been willing to sign up with Navistar for the X number of years it would take to entice Navistar into changing the injection system and meeting light truck emissions levels.

Rod

Ford is looking at pulling the Diesel in house from thier Range Rover line and it is used in the Range Rovers as we speak, the rumor is that they will up the tow capacity in the F-150 with the diesel motor in it. As far as rumor goes Ford , GM, and Dodge are all looking at a diesel in a 1/2 ton pickup.
I just want Ford to put a diesel back in the Ranger, with the new diesel technology that thing could hit 40 - 50 mpg.

Florida cattle":48gah9ek said:
I just want Ford to put a diesel back in the Ranger, with the new diesel technology that thing could hit 40 - 50 mpg.

Yeah now I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat! I just don't consider something as getting 'good mileage' unless it's getting close to 40 mpg. I sure wouldn't change to a much smaller vehicle unless it were getting about 40 mpg. I've looked at the VW Beetle diesels for that reason. This is what Ford SHOULD be working on, as I'm sure there would be plenty of market for it. I don't know if the half ton market is really going to be there. It'll probably add close to $10,000 to the price of the truck, since it'll undoubtedly be limited to the top of the line half tons and be 'super-equipped' to handle the diesel. Adding the weight and stuff to the already heavy half-tons and considering the sorry mileage of the modern diesels to comply with emissions regs and I seriously doubt you'll see much better mileage than the gassers. Maybe 25, 27, maybe even 30 in a tailwind going downhill in overdrive with an empty truck on the freeway but I doubt it. Shoot my 02 SuperCrew gets 20 already, which is pretty good considering the weight of the truck and the fact that it's got 135,000 on it. My 96 regular cab 2wd 302 automatic only gets 14, but it's got 240,000 miles on it too... and by the time you figure diesel being so much higher than gas, mediocre mileage improvements for the diesel, higher cost for the truck and higher maintenance, I don't see it coming out any better cost-wise than a gasser. If you trade every two years, probably, but those of us who don't....

I can see where they're going though... they want to catch the cowboy cadillac market; switch the weekend rodeo types over to half tons by putting those sexy diesels in them, which is why most of the weekend rodeo ranchette types around here buy the 3/4 and one tons anyway, so they can get the big diesel clatter and put a 6 inch fart can on it and play OTR trucker pulling a horse trailer. Maybe they'll lure them in, who knows...

I sure would LOVE a 50 MPG Ranger or Colorado though... use it to go to work and run between farms, and retire the old 96 half ton to hay hauling duty only... :) OL JR :)

The real boys have to work for a living!! We need something to pull the load sure, but that is not the real deal and you fellows know it! The real issue when pulling a load is STOPPING!! Take it from somebody who does it for a living, fuel mileage is great but when you have to stop thats when all the nutt cuttin comes out. You can't tell me that poor old grandpa isn't going to try put his 40' camper behind his little half-ton f150 and pull it to the back-yard, heck no he's thinkin that just because its got a diesel it will be just fine to go anywhere!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :banana:
Do you really want to see ford come out with a f150 diesel! You boys think about that!! If you want to get 30 mpg's then get a scion or a hybrid!

Latest posts