Ford 6.0L V8 32V DDI OHV Turbo Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

6.0 motor is junk, 6.4 is about as bad. You want a good diesel get a duramax or a cummins.

Like Aaron said no reason at all to have to fix things on an engine that should work from the factory. Alot of Ford nut huggers will say "do egr delete, oil cooler, head studs, etc and its a good engine" BS!! if you have to spend 5k to drive the darn thing running it ain't worth having.

I get touchy when I see Ford guys talk down about cummins then say they spend a war pention to keep a 6.0 on the road :mad:

Guess I am another one of the oddballs. Had a 03 with the 6.0 and got 246000 trouble free miles out of it until a kid decide to pull his new Honda graduation present in crossways in front of it while I was runnin 55with a 24' GN and Cat skid loader behind it. Was as tough a truck as you could ask for. It could have told you some very interesting stories! I think no matter who makes it the best thing you can do is an EGR delete for any diesel that has one. It will eliminate 90% of your problems! JMHO. Also those that are wondering took the ins. check & bought a 2000 f350 with the 7.3! Not saying I wouldn't own another 6.0 but odds are odds!

Calhoun Farm":1aejpr3u said:
6.0 motor is junk, 6.4 is about as bad. You want a good diesel get a duramax or a cummins.

Like Aaron said no reason at all to have to fix things on an engine that should work from the factory. Alot of Ford nut huggers will say "do egr delete, oil cooler, head studs, etc and its a good engine" BS!! if you have to spend 5k to drive the darn thing running it ain't worth having.

I get touchy when I see Ford guys talk down about cummins then say they spend a war pention to keep a 6.0 on the road :mad:
It's just a truck Calhoun. No need to get all touchy.
My 6.0 has 267k now and hasn't had the heads done. Egr delete...yep. But not heads

My local ford dealer has a 07 F250 with 45k miles. Nice truck and very nice price but I just couldn't stand owning a 6.0 w/o doing head studs, egr delete, oil cooler etc. To do all that would cost thousands. Fords have nicer interiors and front ends compared to dodge, but I trust the cummins 5.9 alot more than the 6 ohhhh.

I had a 05 ford 6.0. Didn't put any hard work on it, tried to save it and keep it good and nice. By 70,000 miles the front end had been rebuilt, the motor was still running but burned up, the oil cooler had blown up on a trip back from KY. It also always had water in the fuel. I went to a duramax and they just run and run. Getting fuel from the same tanks and think I have drained water not more than twice.

For me its hard to see some of these 6.0's forsale cheap and pass on them. I've test driven a couple and they ride alot better than my truck does (06 2500 5.9 cummins 6spd manual 4wd). Just too many variables with that engine....

I'm on my second 6.0 and have had much better luck than many with them. I bought my first one, an '05 F250, with 54K miles and drove it over 100K - had to rebuild the hpop around 95K, and they replaced the EGR valve while they were in there. All that was under warranty. Also a sensor on the transmission (drove fine, trans temp gauge was just spastic), that was the only repairs it ever needed. I'm driving my second now, an '06 F350 - it had 58K when I bought it, 95K now. Replaced two injectors this fall because they were sticking (it ran great once it was warmed up, but was getting hard to start when it was cold), that's all it has needed. Oh, and an alternator.

I know all the horror stories, and don't doubt 'em - I also know a couple with 300K miles on 'em that have had very little trouble. Upshot is, I think I've got a feel for the maintenance and attention these motors need, and have a reasonably priced mechanic just down the road that is great with them for what I feel I'm not able to do myself - I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, if I felt good about the particular truck. As others have said, there's lots of good buys out there due to their reputation, and any 7-11 year old truck you're going to find will need some work before long anyway - if you're not prepared for that you need to buy one that still has a warranty... But on the other hand, I wouldn't blame anyone else for not wanting to own one either.

Calhoun Farm":cx3lzt3c said:
For me its hard to see some of these 6.0's forsale cheap and pass on them. I've test driven a couple and they ride alot better than my truck does (06 2500 5.9 cummins 6spd manual 4wd). Just too many variables with that engine....

I think I'd like that setup.

fitz

fitz":1ekfpkwc said:
Calhoun Farm":1ekfpkwc said:

I think I'd like that setup.

fitz
I sure do! Dodge is the only truck that has never used a questionable Diesel engine, no matter what a person prefers they can't say that about ford or Chevy.

Latest posts