Forage test result

Help Support CattleToday:

frygap

Reaction score
I was wanting to know if or how much I would need to supplement my cattle with this hay . First time to ever have any hay tested so don't know much about it. I'm feeding it to 1000 to 1200 lb char cross lactating cows. Calves or 1 to 2 months old . I have performance feed 14% grower. That what I would supplement with .

image81.jpg

The tdn is a shade low, but the protein looks good. What kinda hay is that?

If you have plenty of it to feed, a high protein supplement will work. It looks like normal coastal hay that was cut too late around me. Are you buying the 14% grower bulk? If so I would mix some cottonseed meal with it.
Texasbred could give you more technical advice.

Yes it is coastal. I live in north Alabama. I bought 3 ton of the 14% last week been giving 3lb per head. Probably not been giving enough.

frygap":34yphr64 said:
Yes it is coastal. I live in north Alabama. I bought 3 ton of the 14% last week been giving 3lb per head. Probably not been giving enough.
It's good enough that they really don't need any real supplementation unless a lot of your cattle are nursing calves. YOu can feed them the 14% feed as a treat from time to time just to keep them coming up if you need to pen them or work them.

TexasBred":khwxxned said:
frygap":khwxxned said:
It's good enough that they really don't need any real supplementation unless a lot of your cattle are nursing calves. YOu can feed them the 14% feed as a treat from time to time just to keep them coming up if you need to pen them or work them.
TB, In his original post he said he had 1200 lb Char X lactating cows with 1 to 2 month old calves. Since he already has the 14% feed, how much should he be feeding to meet the nutritional needs of the lactating cows?

Should be fine for them as is, the cows are going to get over 2 1/2 pounds of protein everyday. Calves in a feedlot will need more feed.

A lactating beef cow should be offered at least 3% of her body weight to produce and maintain herself. So......these 1200lb cows should be getting at least 36lbDM/hd/day. While the analysis shows the hay is ok it takes a lot for a cow to eat 36lbDM in ANY kind of hay if there's nothing to graze. I concur that some supplementation needs to be offered. Range cubes are a good buy right now and, considering what the calf crop will be worth, I'd feed at least 5lb/hd/day. Another alternative would be access to a 32% protein liquid supplement with a good mineral pack and limiter to keep intake at 3-4lb/day.

Latest posts