for the girls

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
Saw this in a commercial last night - was sure they were joking.
Oh - it's not pms it's a horrible disease called pmdd. :roll: whatever. it's bad when they have to make up diseases to make $$$$ Arggggg.
Google pmdd

Unfortunately, they're not making it up. It's called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. Of course, psychologists sit on both sides of the fence of how prevalant this is or whether or not it's just another sign of depression, but the common approximation is 3 to 9 percent of women have it. It's characterized by changes so severe they can't maintain their normal routines. If you want to read more, the American Psychological Assocation has an article from as far back as 2002 ... http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct02/pmdd.html.

Now, on the flip side - you're right about companies making money off of it. If this "disorder" only affects 3 to 9 percent of women, you would think doctors should be the ones diagnosing it and prescribing the treatment and not having national ad campaigns to tell everyone what it is and how to treat it. But, just like all the treatments for other disorders and dysfunctions being advertised out there, the pharmaceutical companies and "herbal treatment" manufacturers are preying on the fact that women will see these ads, decide that they have this disorder and convince their doctor that they NEED this medication in order to live a normal life. And too many doctors, rather than convince the person they don't need the drugs and risk them going to an alternate doctor, just go ahead and prescribe what the patient asks for. I don't think prescription drugs should be advertised on TV. It's just turning us into a Nation of hypochondriacs.

There, I've said my piece. :)

chrisy":32trhl8q said:
perscription drugs are not allowed to be advertised here. which I think is a good thing.

They used to not be here, either. That only started a couple years ago. Now we've got ads for everything from allergies and arthritis to depression and erectile dysfunction.

I'll bet a study will come out in a few years saying the U.S. has the highest prevalance of "restless leg syndrome" in the world - because now that the drugs have been advertised everyone thinks they have it!!

USMCRanchGirl":2xp2qf81 said:
chrisy":2xp2qf81 said:
perscription drugs are not allowed to be advertised here. which I think is a good thing.

They used to not be here, either. That only started a couple years ago. Now we've got ads for everything from allergies and arthritis to depression and erectile dysfunction.

I'll bet a study will come out in a few years saying the U.S. has the highest prevalance of "restless leg syndrome" in the world - because now that the drugs have been advertised everyone thinks they have it!!
You are very luck chrisy.

The good ole US of A is raising a country full of self diagnosing hypochondriacs (sp)

*Cowgirl*":2tnk6p1s said:
Saw this in a commercial last night - was sure they were joking.
Oh - it's not pms it's a horrible disease called pmdd. :roll: whatever. it's bad when they have to make up diseases to make $$$$ Arggggg.
Google pmdd

I too saw the commercial for that PMDD and said to my husband, "You've got to be kidding!"

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I personally think it's a bunch of crap. Some people just need to buck up!

Now we've got ads for everything from allergies and arthritis to depression and erectile dysfunction.

Not real sure about this - but wouldn't E.D. lead to depression?

Or wouldn't depression lead to E.D.?

And wouldn't one drug be able to cure both????

Latest posts