For Skyhightree

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Sky, was talking to a friend of mine who is a tree surgeon and he was telling me about some trouble he got into with the EPD over his tree business. What he had been doing was taking all the debris over to his farm where he has a firewood mill and sawing up the hardwood waste and splitting it then selling it in bundles at convenience stores and a major retailer. The rest of the stuff he would place in piles and burn on site. EPD cited him because he was putting out to much CO2 into the atmosphere with his monthly fire and they told him he would have to haul it all to be disposed of in the sanitary landfill where it can be piled and buried so it can turn into methane but would require him to pay the tipping fee at the landfill.

Just wanted to give you the heads up on this and hope you too are making your debris into methane rather than CO2 since methane is four times more likely to cause global warming than CO2 and we sure don't need to go into another ice age.

Here in CA they'll charge more to haul the wood off than they do to cut down the tree. If you tell them you'll burn it in the stove they get all excited and offer you a discount if they can bring you a load of wood.

cow pollinater":3o3og5qe said:
Here in CA they'll charge more to haul the wood off than they do to cut down the tree. If you tell them you'll burn it in the stove they get all excited and offer you a discount if they can bring you a load of wood.
:lol2:

I'm surprised you can even burn wood in a fireplace in California. Better on the environment if you heat with electricity being its clean energy and all.

cow pollinater":gy53fs69 said:
:lol: That's the truth to! :lol: Here, wood is the only heat I have. Can cut most of the wood off my mom's old place. But occasionally there is something too close to the house for comfort and we have to hire a professional to fall it. With oak being $240-$270 a cord, you would think that offering them the wood to sell as payment to cut down the tree would be enough, (when it is about a 8 cord oak) but it sure isn't! :( They want a small fortune to take down the tree, plus the wood!

Jo I was going to tell you yes I have heard of people getting in trouble for stuff like that many many times. When I started out on my own in 2001 I brought the stuff back here to the farm and had big bonfires with my friends when I needed to dispose of my debris. In some counties you will get fined if you are a business and dumping debris on county landfills in some counties. I use to do that starting out as I couldn't afford to go to the big landfill if I had big jobs and would take too long to go dump at the farm and come back. I then after I started making money started going to the right dump after starting to make $ because I didn't want to raise any eyebrows. I now give chips to people wanting cheap mulch and haul the logs here and the firewood is here as well. I will bring dumptruck loads of stumps and other debris and burn one time a year but you really gotta be careful with how you dispose of your debris. The feds in your business and snooping is always a problem coming and will continue to be. I hope your friend gets them off his back asap. oh yea when I burn its always at night ;-) and back in the woods.

That's the thing Sky. His setup is on his FIL's farm and its about 500+ acres. I drive by it all the time and have never seen the first glimpse of smoke. I could understand if it was posing a problem to a neighborhood or something but it wasn't. Just silly nonsense.

Jogeephus":2qwc2t3p said:
That's the thing Sky. His setup is on his FIL's farm and its about 500+ acres. I drive by it all the time and have never seen the first glimpse of smoke. I could understand if it was posing a problem to a neighborhood or something but it wasn't. Just silly nonsense.

Jo that is strange but I would be willing to bet you one of his competitors has found out what hes doing somehow and reported him or hes ticked someone off that's close to him that knows his routine. That's the only way I can think they would find out. What's your opinion on how they found out? Here is a couple pics of what I bring back to the farm only when jobs are really close cause the landfill that's commercial that I have an account with is an hour away.

Jogeephus":1vxs1lg2 said:
I'm surprised you can even burn wood in a fireplace in California. Better on the environment if you heat with electricity being its clean energy and all.
Most of the time we can't, unless we don't have gas service. None of my outbuildings do so I pretty much live in the barn during cold weather. The irony is that the tree huggers have finally accepted that fire is natures way of removing wood so they spend all winter telling us that we'll all die tonight if one person lights a fire in our fireplace and then in the summer when the air is really crappy they'll have control burns on thousands of acres that they saved from the logging industry and they tell us how healthy it is for the environment. :???:

cow pollinater":35spera1 said:
The irony is that the tree huggers have finally accepted that fire is natures way of removing wood so they spend all winter telling us that we'll all die tonight if one person lights a fire in our fireplace and then in the summer when the air is really crappy they'll have control burns on thousands of acres that they saved from the logging industry and they tell us how healthy it is for the environment.

CP, the similar differences are so obvious I cant see why you can't grasp their logic. Don't you just love the tree hugging bark munchers.:lol:

Sky, you opinion and his are the same. One of his competitors turned him in is what he thinks.

Jogeephus":20723ph7 said:
Sky, you opinion and his are the same. One of his competitors turned him in is what he thinks.

If you start making more $ or appears to be more so than the next man some how mysteriously you start having problems. I hope he doesnt let that stuff bother him it will blow over. Do you do much burning Jo?

skyhightree1":2cdfwxvm said:
Do you do much burning Jo?

More than I care to. Its a matter of odds and the odds are against me. With all the rules and risk of litigation I've had to make my fires much smaller but there was a time when 490 acres at a time was pretty common. Definitely one of the best tools we have at our disposal.

I can understand that. as you saw in the pics i got a nice big pile to burn but I wont do it till around december or if we get a good rainy spell i will pile it up and leave a opening under the bottom and burn then.

Go by Walmart or the Dollar store now and pick you up some of those fire logs. They will be real cheap this time of year. These are great for starting heavy wood piles like that. I've seen them as cheap as a dollar this time of year.

Jogeephus":3bs38bfr said:
Go by Walmart or the Dollar store now and pick you up some of those fire logs. They will be real cheap this time of year. These are great for starting heavy wood piles like that. I've seen them as cheap as a dollar this time of year.

Jo you definately have some good knowledge in that NOGGIN of yours will be cheaper than drowning it in kerosene or diesel lol

We never knew how lucky we were.
Had a similar set-up through the eighties/nineties in the UK - my Dad did treework, the wood he didn't want to dump got hauled home the big stuff warmed our house and made hot water, the small stuff got stacked and burned, once a week or so.
No-one's business and not doing any harm, at that time.

Now 'they' are trying to make it illegal to burn just about anything on-farm - we're just round the corner from legislation that won't allow plastics or treated timber (broken fenceposts or gates) to be burned.
I've never started a fire with liquid fuel, though I probably don't do as much of it as some of you guys. The light stuff usually generates enough heat to get a thorough burn of the bigger logs.

Styrofoam and plastic are better used for aerial fire bombing of fire ant mounds.

Regolith, for some years now its been illegal to burn anything that man has manufactured or altered in any way. This includes a leveling cut from a board sawn from organically grown oak from the forests of Valhalla. Enforcement of this is rarely done but give it time. In time I suspect they will be arguing the bolt of firewood was altered by man when cut from the tree.

You have to make it look like the wood came from your place already, not that it was transported there... Seems like for SkyHighTree it should be quite possible, it might give you a leg to stand on to fight it anyhow.

Latest posts