Foal and Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowboy15

Reaction score
Well i tryed to post this on the breeds board but it did not post so i guess i will try it here. Ok i have a 4 month old foal that we are going to ween her but we dont have stalls or a horse pasture so we are going to put her in the pens but right now we have a 4 year old bull in the pens right now is it all right to put them togather.
Sam

Ok thanks i guess i will have to wait until we sell him.
thanks alot.
Sam

I dont have any problems with it, I have a year old stud colt with a 800lb jersey steer. They hang around the shade tree and groom one another.

Well the Foal and bull are togather in the pasture and he seems scard of her but i guesss it may be different in an small amount of space.
thanks Sam

Cowboy15":2v8benfw said:
Well i tryed to post this on the breeds board but it did not post so i guess i will try it here. Ok i have a 4 month old foal that we are going to ween her but we dont have stalls or a horse pasture so we are going to put her in the pens but right now we have a 4 year old bull in the pens right now is it all right to put them togather.
Sam

You'll never know until you try it...Just keep an eye on them for awhile...I've seen horses in corrals with bulls many times..I've also seen where its sometimes the horse that puts the run on the bull...It will all depend on their individual personalities and how well they can get along with each other...

If you give a horse a way to get injured, they will find it... good luck.

Alan

Alan":23v0h9kd said:
If you give a horse a way to get injured, they will find it... good luck.

Alan

even if you dont give them a way to get injured...they'll still do it somehow

Cowboy15":209wm8sc said:
Ok i have a 4 month old foal that we are going to ween her but we dont have stalls or a horse pasture so we are going to put her in the pens but right now we have a 4 year old bull in the pens right now is it all right to put them togather.
Sam

I wouldn't, I've seen too many wrecks from putting horses with cattle. I could be wrong here, but isn't 4 months old a bit young to be weaning? I thought it was closer to 5 or 6 months, but it's been a very long time since we had foals around and I don't honestly remember what the generally accepted weaning age is.

msscamp":17iteb1o said:
Cowboy15":17iteb1o said:
Ok i have a 4 month old foal that we are going to ween her but we dont have stalls or a horse pasture so we are going to put her in the pens but right now we have a 4 year old bull in the pens right now is it all right to put them togather.
Sam

I wouldn't, I've seen too many wrecks from putting horses with cattle. I could be wrong here, but isn't 4 months old a bit young to be weaning? I thought it was closer to 5 or 6 months, but it's been a very long time since we had foals around and I don't honestly remember what the generally accepted weaning age is.

ours is usually around 6 months

Heritage_Farmboy":323m67pc said:
msscamp":323m67pc said:
Cowboy15":323m67pc said:
Sam

ours is usually around 6 months

Thanks! I was thinking 6 months was the generally accepted age, but couldn't remember for sure.

horses and cattle don;t mix except in the arena are in the pasture with you on it. you can bet a couple of hard licks from that bull. he well be dog food

msscamp":2g0kbxml said:
Cowboy15":2g0kbxml said:
Sam

This is are first foal and i ask one of my dads friends and he is in the horse business and he said around 4 months is a good time.

Cowboy15":lxpmbxwa said:
This is are first foal and i ask one of my dads friends and he is in the horse business and he said around 4 months is a good time.

Anywhere between 4 and 6 months is ok to wean. While you CAN wean a baby at 4 months, my philosophy has always been that there is no substitute for mother's milk, and as long as the baby isn't drawing the mother down, you might as well let them have the best nutrition there is.....and its free too so I'll usually wean at 5 or 6 months.

There's really no immediate need to rush his weaning at this early an age, and it'll probably be safer for the colt without the bull in the pen when you do wean him. Like Alan said, if there's a way to get into trouble, they'll usually find it, so its better to be safe without the bull in there than sorry with the bull in there. Leaviing that baby on his mama while you sell the bull isn't going to hurt him any.

I wouldn't put a bull skittish around horses in the same pen. Case in point, last year borrowed a bull to breed our cows, the bull hadn't seen horses before. Got him unloaded and he was ticked from the ride and being separated from his buddies, well the horses ran up to his pen and he FREAKED! He jumped a six foot board fence and got out. He ended up swimming a flooded river and then camped out in the middle of it on a submerged island for three hours. Had to get a boat to get him out of the river. I would try to find another solution, learn from my mistake.

Latest posts