flys

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
`How do I get rid of most of the flys on my Herfords? I use Peremetrin pour on and it works for about a day. I saw many huge flys on them today. We have horses and I would say they were Horse flys if there is such a thing. I have been feeding Wind and Rain Minerals with Altisid --What else should I do?

I would suggest Cow Rubs, but with your Horses, if they are in the same Pasture, would not be able to walk under the rubs. And yes, there is such a thing as Horse Flys.

You'll know horse flies when you see them. They are about 3/4 of an inch long, black and bite like a doberman pincher. They don't usually show up in large quantites. Only a few very noticably large flies. If you have bunches of flies you most likely have the common barn flies,face flies or horn flies. Permectrin doesn't work well for me either. I'm in the search again to find a really long lasting fly remedy. I'm feeding Rabon blocks to try to slow down the larve but haven't been feeding them long enough to get results. It's like everything else, you just have to keep working on it. I spray everyday if I have to.

jerry27150":3e5b516q said:
they may have new stuff, but last i knew there wasn't much you could do for horse flys. some of them get real big

Supposedly the only thing that works for horse flys are special traps. The only plans I saw for them showed them to be almost the size of a VW bug.

dun

Latest posts