dealing with horse flys

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
We have fly tags in the cows ears . Also using a cattle rub sock with diesal and Premrethen . How do you all deal with the horse flys . There bad !!
Thank you

The only thing that works for them is a fly trap kind of deal, it's about the size of a horse trailer. Best that can be hoped for is to prevent them breeding (wet places) and hope for the best.

Dun, I know I'm a week behind, but are you talking about this thing?

http://www.horselineproducts.com/eppsbitingflytra.html

People have told me that you can build one cheaper than they sell it for. I don't know. I've read that hornets kill and eat (?) those horse flies, which is the only reason I've not sprayed the hornets. This has been a banner bee year around here. The giant horse flies are the only fly I'm able to smack and kill with my hands without screaming.

Gale Seddon":2hvjjl89 said:
Dun, I know I'm a week behind, but are you talking about this thing?

http://www.horselineproducts.com/eppsbitingflytra.html

People have told me that you can build one cheaper than they sell it for. I don't know. I've read that hornets kill and eat (?) those horse flies, which is the only reason I've not sprayed the hornets. This has been a banner bee year around here. The giant horse flies are the only fly I'm able to smack and kill with my hands without screaming.
Yeah, it's just one of the jillions of variations of the same thing but they work under the same principle. I had plans for ones a couple of years ago, would have been bigger then my truck when built to their specs.

Elliotb16":1do3j086 said:
Have you ever tried medicated minerals?
That's what we feed and it doesn;t make a difference. A friend of mine swears by using the sulphur salt blocks. He says they help but I see a lot more horseflys on his cows then I do mine.

rjbovine":1q6oarih said:
We have fly tags in the cows ears . Also using a cattle rub sock with diesal and Premrethen . How do you all deal with the horse flys . There bad !!
Thank you

Fun thing to do is catch one stick a broom straw up his ass, let him go he will fly straight up and out of sight.
Can't fly anyway but up.

we started using minerals with IGR this year and the number of all types of flies has been drastically reduced. trouble is; i don't know if it's the IGR or the heat and dry weather having the effect..........

Caustic Burno":27b5xckl said:
Fun thing to do is catch one stick a broom straw up his ass, let him go he will fly straight up and out of sight.
Can't fly anyway but up.

I don't know if this was serious, my guess is not, but I'm having a lot of fun with that image. I think you could make a cartoon of someone poking a broom straw up a horsefly's ass, maybe with something cute tied onto the end of it. It's just weird enough it would probably go viral and the cartoonist would be famous.

Latest posts