Flys Flys Flys

Help Support CattleToday:

I put out IGR mineral. I put fly bullets soaked in organophosphate on my mineral feeder. I spray 10%permethrin with a sqeeze bottle while I am walking through them about once every two or three weeks. At least at the moment I have the fly deal going my way.

i used them this spring along with fly block i was very pleased so far. i have noticed they need to be changed, i have started using a pour-on on the ones i hve moved. i can't find fly blocks everybody is out.

Put fly tags in May/June at the same time I wormed (as I bred). Also have fly bullets in my mineral feeders soaked with insecticide (permethrin).

I am pleased to say you can hardly find a fly, except a occasional horse fly. This is my most intense effort to date; first time for the fly bullets in the mineral feeders & by starting out with the worming (Iver-on), I knocked out most with that, then the tags took over, & now life with flies is good (my life, not theirs).

We used them this spring as well along with fly dust. In the barns we put down a layer of dolometic lime which seems to help in there as well.

The best way to get rid of flies is instituting a sound worming program.

It took me a year, but I worm every 3-4 months and rotate wormers. This year I also used fly tags according to the product specs - 2 tags in each cow. Right now, my cows have about 10-20 flies each, except when they visit the neighbors on the fence. The neighbor cows are blanketed with flies - nasty. Swarms from heck - gives me the creepers. My calves do not have fly tags, so the neighbor's flies blanket them for about 20 minutes. Then the flies leave or die??

I've tried rabon blocks, sprays, pour ons, etc. Short term - 2 to 4 weeks - they worked. After that, didn't work.

My long term solution is a sound worming program.

I also put fly tags in May/June at the same time I wormed. I use Ivomec Eprinex (worm pour-on) and PYthon Magnum ear tags (one per/ear).

Absolutely no files, best ear tag I have used yet.

Ditto on the Python Magnums. Put them in early May. NO problems with horn or face flies. There's a lot of pink eye around this year so just to be on the safe side we hung rubs and bullets with organophosphate about two weeks ago. So far so good. Don't expect to control the horsefly population though.

Lee

bwranch":1y9j2z0u said:
Ditto on the Python Magnums. Put them in early May. NO problems with horn or face flies. There's a lot of pink eye around this year so just to be on the safe side we hung rubs and bullets with organophosphate about two weeks ago. So far so good. Don't expect to control the horsefly population though.

Lee

With any luck the drought will help with the horseflys. Seemed to really shorten the heel fly season and it wasn;t as bad as it's been in years past.

dun

Hadn't really thought about it that way but you're right. Hope it holds for the horseflys. We must have Belgian or Percheron horseflys this year though. Down on the river they're big as katydids. Feels like they pull about a quart/bite.

bwranch":1nufxxff said:

Lee

For what it's worth, I did some internet research late this past spring & concluded that the horn flies would likely be best controlled with organophosphates or diazinon, however, the face flies would be best controlled using permethrin. It had something to do with the limited time the face fly has contact with the animal, but other than that I can not expand any further (sorry). We went with the Permectrin CDS that contained both permethrin & piperonyl butoxide & mixed it to mfg recommendations for back rubs & hung the rubs in the mineral feeders - no face flies to date!

Farminlund, I think you may be right. That's one of the reasons we went with the Python Mag's. Below is from the manf. literature.

"Sustained-release plastic ear tags containing a synergized formulation of 10% zetacypermethrin, a potent enriched S-isomer pyrethroid compound, and 20% piperonyl butoxide."

I like the ear tags because I am assured that every animal gets treated. In the past I've seen some cows that lived on the rubs and some that never touched them. We hung the rubs late in the year just as a precaution, and to maybe prevent some resistance problems.

Lee

We've used fly tags with great results - Patriot brand - they have 40% diazinon. We only use one tag per cow, and they still work well. Tried a cheaper brand, and I think I heard the flies laughing at us. :)

Latest posts