fly tags

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
i am wondering how many of you use ear tags for fly control? do they work? how long do they last? i was planning on putting them in on may 1st when i work my cows. what about calves? do you do them too?

jcarkie":2ohug5l7 said:
i am wondering how many of you use ear tags for fly control? do they work? how long do they last? i was planning on putting them in on may 1st when i work my cows. what about calves? do you do them too?

Waste of money your money ahead to use rabon blocks and stop the cycle.

The bulls I lease all get two ear tags when they get here in May. They seem to attract the flies worse than cows or calves, and I want them busy breeding, not swatting at flies. They were still fly free when I returned them in Mid September. I used the ones with CyLence (sp) in 'em. For the cows I use the rubs, and the calves have the "bullets" hanging by the creep feeder. The blocks work well if you get it into 'em a couple weeks before going to pasture, and keep them out there.

I use them, but I am not impressed by the duration time of effectiveness. Seems like they do a good job initially, then within about three to four weeks the flys are back. I also use pour-on with simular results (2 to 3 weeks). I'll use a spray too when I can get them up close or penned. Spray helps get the bellies and legs. I think a rub is probably pretty effective and saves time and money in the long run. Never tried the block.

We use them and work ok for us. They weem to last the whole summer. We use a cattle rub in addition to the tags.

We use wipes at the entrance to the water points so they get wiped twice for each visit. Our summer mineral has Rabon as one component. They'll have a few on their legs and bellys but not many.

dun

I have been using the tags the last few years and really like them. We tag everything when we pen in the spring and remove them in the fall. They give good protection through the worst of the fly season. We change the type of tag from year to year to prevent the flies from developing resistance. To each his own, but they work for me.

Caustic Burno":22q00hk2 said:
jcarkie":22q00hk2 said:

Waste of money your money ahead to use rabon blocks and stop the cycle.

zwhen you generally have mild winters,like we do here,you can have flies anytime of the year. I can usually achieve control with the use of tags in the spring,replaced in the fall,and I also use the rabon blocks in the spring to reduce the population. The combination seems to work pretty well...... ;-) :cboy:

Obviously, from the replies, they work for some and not for others. They worked well for me last year(2004). This year may be different. But, I'm going to try them again and see. The tags I used specified not using on calves under 3 months (I think it was), (causes ear damage). Anyway, it tells you in the instructions. It doesn't matter, the flies are killed systemically from the other tagged cattle. I do, however, use Cylence pour-on on the calves that are not tagged to get ticks and lice and other not-so-mobile parasites. I also use Cylence on the tagged cattle. I tried Cylence without using fly tags and got poor results(on the flies anyway.) I tagged my cattle in May and September last year and had good control. This year I'm also going to provide minerals with Rabon added as an additional control. Fly tags are very economical, it's just the hassle of catching all your animals in the head gate...but you get to look them over real well when they're in the 'gate, right?

i have tried spraying and couldn't tell it helped. i work them 1st of may and am going to tag them. should i use the rabon blocks also. the vet said that they are good for 60 days.

jcarkie":1jklj567 said:
i have tried spraying and couldn't tell it helped. i work them 1st of may and am going to tag them. should i use the rabon blocks also. the vet said that they are good for 60 days.

Start using the rabon fly blocks early in the season before the flies get bad. I work my cattle in late march to early april,I tag them then and start using the fly blocks.They are kind of pricey,but they work. The cows eat them like candy (they do smell good enough to eat, I must admit ;-) ). :cboy: :)

To me they are the most expensive (money and time) and least effective. Mostly due to the short time they work and the headache of tagging.

Craig-TX

Is there a loose mineral that has the same fly stuff that the blocks have? We feed free choice loose minerals and I really don't want to feed the blocks.

sidney411":5s51z1z9 said:
Is there a loose mineral that has the same fly stuff that the blocks have? We feed free choice loose minerals and I really don't want to feed the blocks.

We have been using Vita-Ferm Cow Calf 5, and have ordered the same stuff with Rabon for the summer. I can't say I've used the product long enough to be sold on it, but we had zero retained placentas this year, and all of the cows eat it.

sidney411":p1m3os76 said:

Theree are a number of them. That's what we've used with good results. Don;t recall the brand we use and I'm too lazy to go check. The label will specify "fly control"

dun

sidney411":e4k7in1r said:
Hi Sidney. Look for something with an IGR in it...I priced some of that stuff in my mineral. WOWEE!!! You would need an armored car to haul the stuff home in. Some things just arent intended for the serious about keeping some of his money rancher. LOL

I think year in and year out, the cost of the larvacide would more then be made up for with less health problems and heavier calves. Theree are folks around here that don't worm because it';s a waste of money. But there calves sure aren't as thrifty or growthy as what I would expect.

dun

Craig-TX":qynky04a said:
To me they are the most expensive (money and time) and least effective. Mostly due to the short time they work and the headache of tagging.

Craig-TX

A lot of trouble...yes...but effective also yes....They also seem to help with tick control,and I don;t have to spray or use rubs. ;-) :cboy:

dun":8xtko4u4 said:
We use wipes at the entrance to the water points so they get wiped twice for each visit. Our summer mineral has Rabon as one component. They'll have a few on their legs and bellys but not many.

dun

what kind of blocks dun? ragland mills? my feed mill doesn't carry rabon blocks just wondering what you's usin.

buckaroo_bif":u3zbpcrd said:
dun":u3zbpcrd said:

dun

what kind of blocks dun? ragland mills? my feed mill doesn't carry rabon blocks just wondering what you's usin.

I've seen a rabon fly block, but we use loose mineral with rabon.

dun

Latest posts