Fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

BlondeD

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here has achieved "decent" fly control without ear tags or the feed-thru minerals...???

You can always spray if your herd is not to big. Its labor intensive because it needs to be done regularly and you need to switch active ingredients every couple of weeks. It also doesn't work very well if your cows spend a lot of time in the pond.

A friend used some the vitaferm mineral heat that also has garlic in it. He thought it did a good job at keeping flys off. Anyone else used it?

last year I read up on using garlic for fly control and it made sense to me. So I had my feed store mix 2% garlic into 50 lb ground corn based mix. I fed the girls (30 of them) every three days about 2 lbs per head (eyeball method) and it seemed to work fairly well. Had to leave town for a week. I came back and I had flies everywhere. So I started it back up, and it had no effect from that point on. I'm not going that route this year. Did a cost analysis and it wasn't cheap.

Try Ultra Boss. If you have 50 in a pasture spray just a little on the back of approximately 15. See if your horn flies don't disappear. If you have a pond where the cattle can get in water over half way up the Ultra Boss will not work well. If you give it a try let us know the results.

I don't use ear tags any more but IGR in the mineral & spray every few weeks during heavy fly season with Fly Ban. Really not very labor intensive; pour out cubes, walk down the line & spray, one 'n done.

Latest posts